Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War > Men of War: Vietnam

Men of War: Vietnam A new title in the world-known Men of War real-time tactics game series

Old 09-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromancer View Post
The thread title says it all.

First of all, I technically got what I expected. A typical Men of War game: extremely tough SP missions (), the worst voice acting ever (yes, don't worry - it got even worse!) and the missions are unpredictable and imho pretty fun like they have always been.

But here starts my critism, I try to keep it constructive...

First off, this costs 30 €. For 30 €, we get 10 single-player missions that aren't even particularly long. I really expected A LOT longer missions for this money! I am only trough with the Vietnamese campaign now and I can only say: if the USA campaign isn't at least twice as long, it is NOT worth the money.
But OK, at least they are fun and challenging on hard.

Now: the games improvements compared to Men of War:
- erm.. there.. there are new HDR.. ah no wait HDR doesn't seem to work for me.. but there's.. well the new units don't have to be mentioned... maybe... no that's been in MOW already... ah I give up.
I couldn't find A SINGLE IMPROVEMENT upon the MoW game apart from a bit refined graphics. Want examples what I think could.. no SHOULD have been improved?

- The AI still fires on positions where there have been enemies before - even if those are long-dead!
- Rocket launchers ARE STILL BUGGED!! (they still lose penetration over distance) Seriously, this one got me enraged! In MoW it was bad enough but now - dont you even play your own game?!? Theres actually a tool-tip "Rocket-launchers don't lose penetration over distance etc etc".
- The AI is stupid as always - eg you can still mow them down with a motorboat - they all just charge at the coast to see what's going on
- Projectiles still fly in slow-motion
- everything else that bugged you in Men of War

And to finish this: no mod support and the MP is boring and crap compared to Assalt Squad (again, nothing apart from the units changed).

Really, I am a huge, huge MoW fan. I was eagerly awaiting this and prepurchased it instantly. I can only say: I have lost faith in you and am disappointed. Utterly disappointed. I'm sure support will be dropped, nothing will be improved at all and there we are. Ten new MoW missions with a dozen new vehicles and maybe two dozen new small arms. For the price of the full MoW game.

There's actually just one question remaining for me. What took you so long releasing this game - did you have like two men working on it?!?
Won't blind-buy the next MoW title for sure.
I wish I could take your comments one point at a time and take them apart with intelligent and thought provoking counter points, but I can't, oh wait Stupid smiley face. I'm a huge fan also and you make great points(Stupid smiley face) so i guess one of my reasons for buying this game will have too be Support.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane1 View Post
I wish I could take your comments one point at a time and take them apart with intelligent and thought provoking counter points, but I can't, oh wait Stupid smiley face. I'm a huge fan also and you make great points(Stupid smiley face) so i guess one of my reasons for buying this game will have too be Support.
Why would you support a game that deserves none? they literally just slapped some bushes in the game and charged us 35$ for a "Brand spanking new" title which shouldn't even be more than 5$
Old 09-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombifreak View Post
Why would you support a game that deserves none? they literally just slapped some bushes in the game and charged us 35$ for a "Brand spanking new" title which shouldn't even be more than 5$
I've been reading the comments on two forums, most of it bad. I did briefly consider not to buy this game. It wasn't until I read "Wait for it to be in the bargain bin" that I knew I wanted this game. Then I read "I'm disappointed 1C!" , micromancer has all very valid points but they won't stop me from buying this game. I own all the games starting with SHoWW2 and consider them my favorite WW2 RTS games. The day that they stop making new MoW games will be a sad day for me. I can only hope that with my continued support(and the support of others) the Dev's will keep trying to make better and better MoW games for the future.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Approved Member

any idea how to enable HDR...it grayed...
Old 09-12-2011, 06:24 AM
Registered Member

I think that one of the major lackings in both Vietnam and AS (the only two that i have) is that unlike COH or any other WW2 or otherwise strategy game, there isnt the option to play a multiplayer battle against the AI, i am not an online player, 1 my internet sucks, 2 i easily get frustrated at other players because i am a defensive player and will spend hours building a impossible to breach defensive line and i will be overrun early on because of this, i like playing against the AI, if Black Ops can have an AI for combat training then why cant MOW have one for the same purpose. Other than that i am impressed with MOW AS, Vietnam is a letdown, i waited and waited, and when i first played it i got killed off in 3 1/2 mins on the easiest difficulty, not that i let something like that slow me down, but then i used the little cheat thing to unlock all the levels and all of them were equally as hard, aesthetically pleasing, but lacking in creativity in my opinion, I am a modder, i want to improve games, but i cant improve something that is far too hard to begin to improve.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnseenOni View Post
I think that one of the major lackings in both Vietnam and AS (the only two that i have) is that unlike COH or any other WW2 or otherwise strategy game, there isnt the option to play a multiplayer battle against the AI, i am not an online player, 1 my internet sucks, 2 i easily get frustrated at other players because i am a defensive player and will spend hours building a impossible to breach defensive line and i will be overrun early on because of this, i like playing against the AI, if Black Ops can have an AI for combat training then why cant MOW have one for the same purpose. Other than that i am impressed with MOW AS, Vietnam is a letdown, i waited and waited, and when i first played it i got killed off in 3 1/2 mins on the easiest difficulty, not that i let something like that slow me down, but then i used the little cheat thing to unlock all the levels and all of them were equally as hard, aesthetically pleasing, but lacking in creativity in my opinion, I am a modder, i want to improve games, but i cant improve something that is far too hard to begin to improve.
Assault Squad singleplayer pretty much is multiplayer against the AI, isn't it? the game is skirmish-based and the enemy keeps throwing units at you, while you keep throwing yours against him.

the other installments, including Vietnam, all have a story-driven singleplayer campaign.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Yeah but what im talking about is like playing against the AI on the multiplayer maps, sure the skirmishes are fun, and hell i find them challenging even using the editor to change stuff, but i would much rather be able to play against the AI on a map i create that is say 4v4 rather than have to play against human players.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnseenOni View Post
Yeah but what im talking about is like playing against the AI on the multiplayer maps, sure the skirmishes are fun, and hell i find them challenging even using the editor to change stuff, but i would much rather be able to play against the AI on a map i create that is say 4v4 rather than have to play against human players.
Your talking about the kind of skirmish that I was so looking forward to playing(I think). A traditional style skirmish where you pick your maps, funds, units, # of AI players, that would of been great. I still love MoWAS (SP) but it would of been great.
If MoWV is anything like the other games then you can tweak in all kinds of stuff.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane1 View Post
Your talking about the kind of skirmish that I was so looking forward to playing(I think). A traditional style skirmish where you pick your maps, funds, units, # of AI players, that would of been great. I still love MoWAS (SP) but it would of been great.
If MoWV is anything like the other games then you can tweak in all kinds of stuff.
Thats what im talking about, like Company of Heroes, how you could skirmish against the AI rather than human players.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Me too, this is a step backwards for the MOW series.