Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Approved Member

Default first raid on berlin

hi guys,

as in birds of steel ,we will have the fantastic and very nice lancaster,i would like to share with u ,the story of the first ww2 bomb raid on berlin...by the french navy,the bomber FARMAN 223.4,nickname "JULES VERNE" of the B5 squadron of the FRENCH NAVY attack BERLIN ,alone ,in the night of the 7 -8 june 1940,here is a story of this plane and his crew:

THE JULES VERNE surprised the defense of Berlin

On May 10, 1940, the day of the German offensive in west front, the Jules Verne left Toussus-le-Noble
the Naval Air Station-Lanveoc Poulmic in Brittany.
The crew prepared for its first the plane planned mission the next day. It includes Ie Commander
Henri Dailliere, driver Gueugnet , the browser Comet, radio Scour , and the bomber mechanic Corneillet Deschamps.
The targets are designated for this mission station of Aix-la-Chapelle in Germany and the bridges of Maastricht in Holland.
The first raid was a success, according point of view of the crew, because it takes
the Germans completely by surprise.
May 14, a new mission is the same kind of goals.
The 18, Ie bomber makes an attack on the island of Walcheren and is again Aix-la-Chapelle Ie
19. The last raid was performed by a full moon without clouds and leaves a lasting impression on
the crew: flying at an altitude of 400 m, the flight the plane layer on the tracks and finds himself followed by dozens of beams of headlamps. Flak firing heavy thunder when it gets near La target.
With its aluminum finish, Ie Jules Verne is also visible that it had been on a mission
during the day but is saved by its driver skill, Gueugnet, who manages to escape by Flak
zigzagging the rooftops. Dazzled by the lights, Dailliere can drop bombs and decided to
carry over to the secondary target, Saint-Omer, and they attacked a concentration of enemy tanks. After this
memorable raid, the aircraft touched in several places is quickly repaired and repainted in black to make
less visible at night.
The pilot Gueugnet physically marked by the latter flight is hospitalized and replaced by Yonnet which, with
the other five members already present, which consist 1'equipage fly aboard the aircraft until it is
nailed to the ground by the armistice.
One of the major projects is to bomb Berlin Dailliere but this proposal has already been rejected
several times by the authorities, who probably do not want to risk the life of a man
of such value, but also by refusing to send a whole crew to suicide. Only Dailliere that
is not a man to abandon his ideas, justified by the multiple attacks inflicted by the Luftwaffe
a population of Paris, uses all his powers of persuasion.
He finally obtained permission to bomb Berlin. The raid was carefully prepared following a flight plan
1'ennemi that can not guess.
The flight will depart from Bordeaux-Merignac 1'aeroport (crew of the bombing of Berlin Corneillet the master, Comet-Lieutenant, Lieutenant Commander Daillere first Yonnet-master, master-master and second Scour Deschamps.)
with a long track makes a take-off fully loaded. He will fly to the north over the Atlantic
Channel and North Sea
avoiding the occupied Holland and Denmark over the Baltic until finally turning south towards Ie,
to Berlin to drop his bombs
a suburban area. The authorities do not want to because they are dropped on Ie downtown.
The return flight will be as direct as possible to Lanveoc-Poulmic but depend on the amount of fuel remaining in the tanks.
The Jules Verne Decolle Ie June 7, 1940 00 am to 3 am. Despite the appropriate signal, french ship and
British ships shoot him, but
Ie fortunately missing.
Thanks to the perfect navigation Comet, the aircraft follows the planned route and arrived in the region of Berlin at the time announced.
Cumulus clouds over the area make navigation difficult Lights finally appear.
Suddenly Dallière saw Tempelhof airport
abundant light in the most total indifference. He ordered the pilot to simulate an approach
a way to make the Germans believe that the aircraft is one of them. At an altitude of about 15 m,
He then flies over the runway, the four engines subitemment shoot a full power, takes the height and
moves towards the target by frequently changing direction and making sure the engines are
sync to give the impression of the presence of multiple devices.
Despite the risk to face a barrage of balloons, Ie Jules Verne flying so low over the city
that the crew be able to distinguish the streets, cars and houses as in times of peace.
Finally, we arrive on the approach of the target. Dailliere down to the position of bomber
and ordered to fly a Yonnet law and stably at an altitude of 100 meters.
He dropped a few bombs exploding.
The city, taking stupor, holding its breath. Berlin plunges into darkness;
Projectors and light flak started: Others pull, forcing Yonnet
has taken a little altitude. The aircraft can be affected at any time
but the crew rejoices with the deep feeling of having accomplished something
extraordinary: for the first time in the war and for the first time in history military Berlin was bombed!
Dailliere Guard has three bombs for a second pass. He ordered the pilot to return to the target.
Avoiding the spotlight and driving through a thick
Curtain Flak, Yonnet this order applies. At the back of the plane, Deschamps activates a drop incendiary bombs
10kg by the door wide open.
The breath of the flak framing device and Ie strong current of air that has engulfed the interior of the fuselage to make this task less dangerous Ie.
Catching
each hazardous bombs with the same precautions as possible it should, while keeping its balance, transport over a distance of two to
three meters and run through 1'ouverture the door.
The mechanic noticed his difficulties Corneillet and rushes to help. Together, they arrive
released the majority of the 80 firebombs as the aircraft flies over the target.
Dailliere Corneillet has ordered to mount the machine gun and shoot the lights. It is written: "Shoot the spotlight? ..
But there are thousands of young ... "Then comply, he rushes to the door,
install the machine gun and fired two or three magazines.
He then noted that Deschamps continues to drop incendiary bombs Ie remains and
suddenly emboldened, 1'aider has decided to complete this work. In
an extreme state of excitement, he removes his shoes and even launched a rage over the city, shouting incomprehensible words.
All the bombs were dropped. Dailliere order to
Ie way back to base-Lanveoc Poulmic, ant change several times
management to deceive any enemy fighters spears on their heels.
Scour (Ie radio) sends a message to Paris announcing Ie success of the raid.
Corneillet commander warns that while Ie Ie fuel begins to drop.
Dne new road and agreed 1'avion lands safely in Chartres.
Dailliere, fearing the reaction of the Germans, ordered the crew to prepare the aircraft
as quick as possible with a minimum amount of fuel,
what is done in minutes. they took off again and see immediately explode in their wake the bombs dropped by German bombers
on the track. they pose a new Orly or they re Ie refuel and leave half an hour later to rally their base-Lanveoc
Poulmic. The flight lasts 13 hours and 40 minutes.
In the canteen of the base, while they enjoy a well deserved meal, continued to comment Corneillet the raid. Yonnet note her bare feet and asked
why he launched his shoes at Berlin.
Corneillet, somewhat embarrassed and have no
give a logical explanation simply says, "You know ... they did not win anything.
These shoes were almost worn out ... "

Last edited by olife; 01-20-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Approved Member

Thanks Olife, I think I just about got the gist of the story. I'm afraid the translation software has rendered a lot of it uninteligable.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 01-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
Thanks Olife, I think I just about got the gist of the story. I'm afraid the translation software has rendered a lot of it uninteligable.
hey bud!
yes i know ,and i even correct some errors,lol !when u know my level in english language ,u imagine how was the text before!google translation but think the text had a lot of errors before,in french.

exuse me guys for the poor quality,hope u will understand ,will try to find a text in good english but will be hard!
my apologises again!

friendly
olife
Old 01-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olife View Post
hi guys,

as in birds of steel ,we will have the fantastic and very nice lancaster,i would like to share with u ,the story of the first ww2 bomb raid on berlin...by the french navy,the bomber FARMAN 223.4,nickname "JULES VERNE" of the B5 squadron of the FRENCH NAVY attack BERLIN ,alone ,in the night of the 7 -8 june 1940,here is a story of this plane and his crew:

THE JULES VERNE surprised the defense of Berlin

On May 10th, 1940, the day of the German offensive in west front, the Jules Verne left Toussus-le-Noble, the Naval Air Station-Lanveoc Poulmic in Brittany.
The crew prepared the plane for its first planned mission of the next day. They were the Commander-Henri Dailliere, pilot-Gueugnet , navigator-Comet, radio operator-Scour, and the bomber mechanic-Corneillet Deschamps.
The targets designated for this mission were the station at Aix-la-Chapelle in Germany and the bridges of Maastricht in Holland.
The first raid was a success, according to the crew, because it took the Germans completely by surprise.
May 14th, another mission was flown with the same kind of goals.
The 18th, The bomber made an attack on the island of Walcheren and again attacked Aix-la-Chapelle on the 19th.
The last raid was performed on a full moon without clouds and left a lasting impression on the crew: flying at an altitude of 400 m, the flight the plane layer on the tracks and the crew found themselves followed by dozens of spotlight beams. Heavy flak fire thundered around them as they neared their target. With its aluminum finish, the Jules Verne was as visible as it would have been if it was a day mission and they were only saved by the pilot, Gueugnet, who managed to escape the Flak by zigzagging between the rooftops. Dazzled by the lights, Dailliere could not drop their bombs so the crew decided to carry on over to the secondary target, Saint-Omer, and they attacked a concentration of enemy tanks.
After this memorable raid, the aircraft was damaged in several places but is quickly repaired and repainted in black to make less visible at night.
The pilot Gueugnet, wounded by the flak, is hospitalized and replaced by Yonnet which, with the other five members already present, which consist 1'equipage fly aboard the aircraft until it is
nailed to the ground by the armistice.

One of Dailliere's major projects was to bomb Berlin, but his proposal had already been rejected several times by the authorities, who probably did not want to risk the life of a man of such value, but also not willing to send a whole crew to their certain death. Only Dailliere was not a man to abandon his ideas, justified by the multiple attacks inflicted by the Luftwaffe
on the population of Paris, he used all his powers of persuasion.
Finally he obtained permission to bomb Berlin and a raid was carefully prepared to follow a flight path that the enemy could not foresee.
The flight would depart from Bordeaux-Merignac airport. Crew of the bombing of Berlin being Corneillet the master, Comet-Lieutenant, Lieutenant Commander Daillere first Yonnet-master, master-master and second Scour Deschamps.
With a long trip ahead, the plane would take-off fully loaded. They would fly to the north over the Channel and North Sea
avoiding occupied Holland and Denmark over the Baltic until finally turning south again towards Berlin to drop the bombs.
a suburban area. The authorities do not want to because they are dropped on Ie downtown.
The return flight will be as direct as possible to Lanveoc-Poulmic but depend on the amount of fuel remaining in the tanks.
The Jules Verne Decolle Ie June 7, 1940 00 am to 3 am. Despite the appropriate signal, french ship and
British ships shoot him, but
Ie fortunately missing.
Thanks to the perfect navigation Comet, the aircraft follows the planned route and arrived in the region of Berlin at the time announced.
Cumulus clouds over the area make navigation difficult Lights finally appear.
Suddenly Dallière saw Tempelhof airport
abundant light in the most total indifference. He ordered the pilot to simulate an approach
a way to make the Germans believe that the aircraft is one of them. At an altitude of about 15 m,
He then flies over the runway, the four engines subitemment shoot a full power, takes the height and
moves towards the target by frequently changing direction and making sure the engines are
sync to give the impression of the presence of multiple devices.
Despite the risk to face a barrage of balloons, Ie Jules Verne flying so low over the city
that the crew be able to distinguish the streets, cars and houses as in times of peace.
Finally, we arrive on the approach of the target. Dailliere down to the position of bomber
and ordered to fly a Yonnet law and stably at an altitude of 100 meters.
He dropped a few bombs exploding.
The city, taking stupor, holding its breath. Berlin plunges into darkness;
Projectors and light flak started: Others pull, forcing Yonnet
has taken a little altitude. The aircraft can be affected at any time
but the crew rejoices with the deep feeling of having accomplished something
extraordinary: for the first time in the war and for the first time in history military Berlin was bombed!
Dailliere Guard has three bombs for a second pass. He ordered the pilot to return to the target.
Avoiding the spotlight and driving through a thick
Curtain Flak, Yonnet this order applies. At the back of the plane, Deschamps activates a drop incendiary bombs
10kg by the door wide open.
The breath of the flak framing device and Ie strong current of air that has engulfed the interior of the fuselage to make this task less dangerous Ie.
Catching
each hazardous bombs with the same precautions as possible it should, while keeping its balance, transport over a distance of two to
three meters and run through 1'ouverture the door.
The mechanic noticed his difficulties Corneillet and rushes to help. Together, they arrive
released the majority of the 80 firebombs as the aircraft flies over the target.
Dailliere Corneillet has ordered to mount the machine gun and shoot the lights. It is written: "Shoot the spotlight? ..
But there are thousands of young ... "Then comply, he rushes to the door,
install the machine gun and fired two or three magazines.
He then noted that Deschamps continues to drop incendiary bombs Ie remains and
suddenly emboldened, 1'aider has decided to complete this work. In
an extreme state of excitement, he removes his shoes and even launched a rage over the city, shouting incomprehensible words.
All the bombs were dropped. Dailliere order to
Ie way back to base-Lanveoc Poulmic, ant change several times
management to deceive any enemy fighters spears on their heels.
Scour (Ie radio) sends a message to Paris announcing Ie success of the raid.
Corneillet commander warns that while Ie Ie fuel begins to drop.
Dne new road and agreed 1'avion lands safely in Chartres.
Dailliere, fearing the reaction of the Germans, ordered the crew to prepare the aircraft
as quick as possible with a minimum amount of fuel,
what is done in minutes. they took off again and see immediately explode in their wake the bombs dropped by German bombers
on the track. they pose a new Orly or they re Ie refuel and leave half an hour later to rally their base-Lanveoc
Poulmic. The flight lasts 13 hours and 40 minutes.
In the canteen of the base, while they enjoy a well deserved meal, continued to comment Corneillet the raid. Yonnet note her bare feet and asked
why he launched his shoes at Berlin.
Corneillet, somewhat embarrassed and have no
give a logical explanation simply says, "You know ... they did not win anything.
These shoes were almost worn out ... "
Olife, I had a bit of time so I started correcting the text so it makes sense. I might finish the red bit later. The bold writing I had no idea what it ment.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 01-20-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
Olife, I had a bit of time so I started correcting the text so it makes sense. I might finish the red bit later. The bold writing I had no idea what it ment.
hello bud!

millions thanks to take a time for it gentleman!very very kind from u!really moved!thanks again and take your time,your life in first of course !
i will try to explain u,the bold writing in reading the french text with my own english,by message or here.

thx again
friendly
olife
Old 01-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Approved Member

1st bold writing : The pilot Gueugnet, wounded by the flak, is hospitalized and replaced by Yonnet which, with the other five members already present, which consist 1'equipage fly aboard the aircraft until it is-----explain : the first pilot called GUEUGNRT was wounded by flak during the raid over SAINT OMER and was replaced by and other called YONNET , YONNET and all the other menbers of the crew were the crew who used the "JULES VERNES " until the french forces surrended .

2nd bold writing : Corneillet the master, Comet-Lieutenant, Lieutenant Commander Daillere first Yonnet-master, master-master and second Scour Deschamps.-----explain ,in fact it is the ranks of the french navy ,it is like in us navy :
-petty officer 1st class CORNEILLET
-lieutenant junior grade COMET
-lieutenant commander DAILLERE
-chief petty officer YONNET
-petty officer 1st class SCOUR
-petty officer 3rd class DESCHAMPS

thanks again my friend!very honored and moved by your help

friendly
olife
Old 01-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Approved Member

I hope I don't interrupt any translations in prosess. Olife, you tought me something new today! Really appreciate that mate. Hope you will apologise me for interfering as I found a cpl of posts to shed some light on the mission by the french Farman. The plane itself is a new accuaintance to me

The French Farman 220 series (222.2, 223.3 and 223.4) heavy bombers were ugly and slow, this was typical of France’s pre-modernization Air Force of the mid 30's. A total of 28 in metropolitan France, 2 in Indochina and 3 in Senegal were available on May 10, 1940.
The Farman 222.2 was a long range bomber (2,000 km with 2,500 kg bombs) and carried up to 4,195 kg bombs (generally 20x 200 kg, 40x 100 kg or a combination of 200 kg, 100 kg and 50 kg bombs). The aircraft was armed with 3x 7.5mm MAC 1934 MGs in single mounts in the nose turret, dorsal turret and ventral gondola. This Farman 222.2 was an "advanced" version of the Farman 221/222 and had retractable gear, but showed otherwise little improvement over its predecessor. It had a maximum speed of 320 km/h at 4,000 meters. Its service ceiling was 8,000 meters. This bomber had a crew of 5 men: pilot, co-pilot, nose gunner/navigator/bombardier, ventral gunner and dorsal gunner.
For the Farman 223.3, the armament consisted in 1x 7.5mm MG in the nose and 2x 20mm guns in the two rear-facing turrets, 4,185 kg bombs and a range of 2,400 km.
The Farman 222.2, 223.3 and 223.4 bombers of the French Air Force and French Navy dropped at first leaflets over Germany (e.g. December 22, 1939 over Munich) and Czechoslovakia but this aircraft was also the first allied plane to bomb Berlin (Siemens factory) on the evening of June 7-8, 1940. This very first raid over Berlin was a mission flown by the French Navy with a single Farman 223.4. It was a former civilian Air France plane named 'Jules Vernes' under modification and modified for military use. It was painted in black and had not yet a bomb bay. 80 explosive and incendiary bombs of 10 kg were dropped after a flight of more than 2,000 km. The Farman flew from Bordeaux-Mérignac up to the English Channel, skirted the Dutch coast, crossed Denmark and the Baltic Sea and attacked Berlin from the north). The 'Jules Vernes' safely returned to Mérignac after a 13.5 hour mission. From June 13 to June 16 the 'Jules Vernes' flew 12 additional raids over Germany.
The Farman 222/223 bombers also bombed other cities like Rostock - Heinkel factories -, Hamburg, Münich and Köln. They also took part to the bombings of rail-roads and crossroads in May and June 1940, like in Aix-La-Chappelle, Maastricht, Flessingue and Middelburg, in order to delay the German troops.
After Italy declared war to France, these bombers dropped leaflets, spending hours leisurely over Rome, Turin and other cities. They also bombed fuel refineries in Porto Maghera and Livourne. It prompted the creation of an impromptu night fighter unit in Italy (3x Fiat CR.32s) as well as having a squadron of Italy's better fighters stationed near Rome to prevent a repeat.
Only one Farman was lost during the Battle of France - and that was an accident. Vichy and the Luftwaffe used them as transports through 1944.

Other French bombers like e.g. the Lioré & Olivier 451 were also involved in bombing againt Germany.

http://twovoyagers.com/blinkynet.net/wwii/verne.html

Please forgive the intercept...
Old 01-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQ59 View Post
I hope I don't interrupt any translations in prosess. Olife, you tought me something new today! Really appreciate that mate. Hope you will apologise me for interfering as I found a cpl of posts to shed some light on the mission by the french Farman. The plane itself is a new accuaintance to me

The French Farman 220 series (222.2, 223.3 and 223.4) heavy bombers were ugly and slow, this was typical of France’s pre-modernization Air Force of the mid 30's. A total of 28 in metropolitan France, 2 in Indochina and 3 in Senegal were available on May 10, 1940.
The Farman 222.2 was a long range bomber (2,000 km with 2,500 kg bombs) and carried up to 4,195 kg bombs (generally 20x 200 kg, 40x 100 kg or a combination of 200 kg, 100 kg and 50 kg bombs). The aircraft was armed with 3x 7.5mm MAC 1934 MGs in single mounts in the nose turret, dorsal turret and ventral gondola. This Farman 222.2 was an "advanced" version of the Farman 221/222 and had retractable gear, but showed otherwise little improvement over its predecessor. It had a maximum speed of 320 km/h at 4,000 meters. Its service ceiling was 8,000 meters. This bomber had a crew of 5 men: pilot, co-pilot, nose gunner/navigator/bombardier, ventral gunner and dorsal gunner.
For the Farman 223.3, the armament consisted in 1x 7.5mm MG in the nose and 2x 20mm guns in the two rear-facing turrets, 4,185 kg bombs and a range of 2,400 km.
The Farman 222.2, 223.3 and 223.4 bombers of the French Air Force and French Navy dropped at first leaflets over Germany (e.g. December 22, 1939 over Munich) and Czechoslovakia but this aircraft was also the first allied plane to bomb Berlin (Siemens factory) on the evening of June 7-8, 1940. This very first raid over Berlin was a mission flown by the French Navy with a single Farman 223.4. It was a former civilian Air France plane named 'Jules Vernes' under modification and modified for military use. It was painted in black and had not yet a bomb bay. 80 explosive and incendiary bombs of 10 kg were dropped after a flight of more than 2,000 km. The Farman flew from Bordeaux-Mérignac up to the English Channel, skirted the Dutch coast, crossed Denmark and the Baltic Sea and attacked Berlin from the north). The 'Jules Vernes' safely returned to Mérignac after a 13.5 hour mission. From June 13 to June 16 the 'Jules Vernes' flew 12 additional raids over Germany.
The Farman 222/223 bombers also bombed other cities like Rostock - Heinkel factories -, Hamburg, Münich and Köln. They also took part to the bombings of rail-roads and crossroads in May and June 1940, like in Aix-La-Chappelle, Maastricht, Flessingue and Middelburg, in order to delay the German troops.
After Italy declared war to France, these bombers dropped leaflets, spending hours leisurely over Rome, Turin and other cities. They also bombed fuel refineries in Porto Maghera and Livourne. It prompted the creation of an impromptu night fighter unit in Italy (3x Fiat CR.32s) as well as having a squadron of Italy's better fighters stationed near Rome to prevent a repeat.
Only one Farman was lost during the Battle of France - and that was an accident. Vichy and the Luftwaffe used them as transports through 1944.

Other French bombers like e.g. the Lioré & Olivier 451 were also involved in bombing againt Germany.

http://twovoyagers.com/blinkynet.net/wwii/verne.html

Please forgive the intercept...
god kveld my friend!

millions thanks to add it and for compliments!!!!of course no worries!!!!!it is a always a real pleasure for me u post here!!!!and millions thanks for the link too!
always a pleasure to share with a ww2 planes fans!!!!!

friendly
olife