Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Mods, discussions, links, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 02:48 AM
Approved Member

Default Spitfire Cannon Pack

Hi,

This mod adds the Spitfire Ib in two configurations and Spitfire IIb to Cliffs of Dover. Also included are some fixes. The pitch lever on the Ia is now fully variable instead of 2 position and also the boost cut-out switch can now be switched on and off for all models! I've added a pitot-heater for all of the Spit models too.

There is also 100 Octane versions of all Ia, Ib, IIa and IIb models! Try them out and try not to blow your engine up!

Both the DH bladed Hurricane and Rotol model are now available with 100 octane fuel for +12 ibs/sq in boost.

The Spitfires are armed as follows:

Spitfire Ib (early version)
2 x Hispano-Suiza Mk.I 20mm cannon - 60 rounds per gun
Spitfire Ib
4 x Browning .303 machine guns - 350 rounds per gun
2 x Hispano-Suiza Mk.II 20mm cannon - 60 rounds per gun
Spitfire IIb
4 x Browning .303 machine guns - 350 rounds per gun
2 x Hispano-Suiza Mk.II 20mm cannon - 60 rounds per gun

Default Belting and Convergence

Convergence set at 200 yards = 183 metres

Belting:
Machine Guns:
Outer: Tracer, AP x 9
Inner: Incendiary, AP, AP
Cannons:
Cannon 1: HET, AP, HET, HE
Cannon 2: HET, HE, HET, AP

Installation

Download Kegetys - check readme for installation!

http://junk.kegetys.net/il2cod_sfsmod11.zip

Make a MODS folder in your il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover game folder and put the unzipped Spitfire_Cannon_Pack folder in there.

Add this to the 'target' line of your shortcut:

-mod=MODS\Spitfire_Cannon_Pack

Make sure it is at the end of the line or it may not load!

Usage:

Bugs/Missing features

At the moment there is no visual model for the cannon barrels or blisters on the wings. This is my first mod for Il2COD and I haven't tried unpacking the mesh file for the Spit and editing it in Blender/3DS.

History

The cannon armed Spits were used in the Battle of Britain in very small numbers. The early Ib version I believe was only fitted to about 30 planes and given to 19 squadron to test in June. The planes were eventually withdrawn due to reliability issues and later the Ib was reissued in August with 4 .303's additionally in the wings.

The Spitfire IIb was operational in November I think, which puts it out of the scope of the Battle of Britain proper. Feel free to correct me on any of this. My recollection is hazy at this hour in the morning..

Credit

All credit should go to Dave74737 who made the hurriCannon mod. I basically just looked at what he did, and did something similar to the Spitfires. Thanks Dave!

Additionally, many thanks to 313_Paegas. He gave me me the information necessary to set up the Brownings and Hispano's on different triggers

Don't go online with this. It would be cheating and you could get banned.

Download

See attached file.

EDIT: DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY WITH NEW VERSION. NO PLANS TO UPDATE AT THIS TIME

Attached Files
File Type: zip Spitfire_Cannon_Pack.zip (138.9 KB, 340 views)

Last edited by Das Attorney; 01-12-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Approved Member

well judging by the video they certainly seem effective..

Bit worrying again considering no mention of VAC update is the last patch info from Luthier
Old 08-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Wow,that certainly 'chews' up the old Nazi bombers,nice mod sir.

I believe the great George Unwin of 19 Squadron had some success during BOB trying out the Mk1b with it's Hispano cannons.

Alienware Aurora|Win 7 64-bit Home Premium|IC i7-920 Processor (Quad-Core)|14GB DDR3 RAM|1 TB SATA 7200rpm Hard Drive|GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE 3 X fan|Thrustmaster Warthog|Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals,throttle quadrant and Cessna trim wheel|TrackIR4|Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Approved Member

Update
  • Spitfire Ia now has variable pitch lever instead of 2 pos pitch control.

• Spitfire Ia now has +9 ibs/sq in boost working correctly.

• Pitot heater added to Ia, Ib, IIa and IIb.

• Boost Cut-Out switch now switches OFF as well as ON for Ia, Ib, IIa and IIb!

• 100 Octane (+12 boost) variants for Ia, Ib, IIa and IIb models!

Link in first post.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Das Attorney; 08-08-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

Nice job - I like how it all appears correctly in the loadout section as well.

I need to perform some tests to see if the changes we are making to the engine fm's are effective or just cosmetic in terms of boost showing on the dial etc. What do you think?

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Approved Member

I've tested the Ia and the boost seems to be working as expected. When triggered, there's a significant increase of rpm and speed picks up. The mixture needs to be leaned out or the engine starts to run rough.

The video is a short demo of boost being fired up on a Spitfire Ia at practically ground level. The radiator was fully open throughout, so you could probably squeeze a few more mph out of it if it was partially closed.

I could only get 250 mph max out of the Spit without boost (which seems pretty poor). +12 Boost adds another 20 - 25 mph or so.

Interestingly enough, I clocked the bf-109 at 273 mph in level flight without WEP at ground level - both planes seem too slow to me. The Spitfire Ia more so than the 109.

The Spitfire IIa is insane on +12 boost. I clocked it at over 330 mph at sea level before the Cylinder Head blew up and oil shot all over the cockpit!

The boost is tripped at about 0.50.

Last edited by Das Attorney; 08-12-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Approved Member

Thanks, works great. The extra boost for the MkIIb with 100 octane fuel turns the Spit into a complete animal. Got to be clinical with the limited ammo/gun, definately not a spray and pray weapon with only 60 rounds, but it's very satisfying seeing whole tail sections come rolling off those bombers.

Thank you sir.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

Yup the extra horsepower really does make a difference - I like how adding the boost has consequences if one is not careful - good job Das!

Despite the unforgiving hardware requirements and bugs, the "guts" of this game are really well thought out and clean. The more I play with the sfs files and mods the more I like it. Make no mistake - this game has legs. Its destined to be a slow burner with a long lifespan due to its clean core and flexibility.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Approved Member

Works a treat -- thank you!!! Coupled with Jafa's sound mod this new mod adds legs to this wonderful sim.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Approved Member

i'm not sure that kind of mod is really add legs to the sims...

it is just some cheating mod for me.

and a spitfire with MGFF it is not realistic for me neither....

hopefully this kind of mod is not allow online!
Closed Thread