Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:24 AM
Registered Member

Default Hurricane - Singapore: Not enough fuel!

Salute,

I am currently running the single player Singapore campaign for the RAF, flying a Hawker Hurricane. Settings are 'all realism' as I have some experience with the sim (particularly online).

In one mission I am asked to destroy some armored cars. It is a long flight and fuel is not enough, causing every plane to pancake before reaching the airbase. The "Mission Complete" does not come on, even after destroying the armored cars.

Is there something I am missing here?

Flags
Old 05-01-2012, 07:43 AM
Approved Member

What power settings/prop pitch?
<a href=http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2954&dateline=1314366190 target=_blank>http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2954&dateline=1314366  190 Salute Jim (Blairgowrie) http://dangerdogz.com
Old 05-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Approved Member

I've had that.

I think these missions are scripted, not generated by the computer. I suspect that the missions may be historical, called for by some high ranking non-airforce person, who didn't understand what they were asking. I suggest skipping such missions.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Approved Member

unlike Igo kyu, i believe htis is just badly programed mission. or a bug. or both.

solution: skip it, if you cnat skip, take off circle the base, land, fast forward until mission sucesfull comes. eventually it will.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

Salute,

Thanks guys for the answers, but how can I skip the mission in a dynamic campaign? I don't know.

So far I've flown about 14 (6 kills, various ground targets) in Singapore, and I love my sturdy Hurricane despite it's bad performance at sea-level turn'n'burn (not much of a boom n zoom pilot myself).

About the engine management. Prop-pitch, mixture, supercharger and power settings are irrelevant here, I've even let the AI do the mission by itself and it still pancakes. Infact the whole squadron cannot reach airbase.

I cannot equip Jettison tanks, and I've tried to remove bomb to reduce load but no success. Can anyone tell me how I should proceed for skipping or whatever? I can show you a video of the mission if you like.

Flags

Edit: Pupo I will try your suggestion and tell you how it goes. Thanks pilots, watch your sixes!

Re-Edit: Pupo, circling worked thanks very much.

Last edited by Cadet_Flagello; 05-01-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Forgot something - Pupo it worked
Old 05-02-2012, 02:23 AM
Approved Member

Depending on your difficulty settings, just start the mission and then end it.

This is not a scripted mission. It's from the Singapore DGEN campaign and I found it to be one of the worst examples of a DGEN campaign...for just this reason. Several of the missions are on the edge or outside of the Hurricane's operational range. You may be able to squeak out the distance by reducing engine RPM (using prop pitch controls), keeping the radiator closed, etc. But... the AI will probably not make it no matter what.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
Depending on your difficulty settings, just start the mission and then end it.
I play on all realism, no outside views, no icons etc...Hence instant success is not possible here. But taking off, circling and then landing solved my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
...Several of the missions are on the edge or outside of the Hurricane's operational range. You may be able to squeak out the distance ...
Yep, true. Most are badly designed and I'm not sure they are close to historical accuracy. Yet most times I am even able to glide to the runway even though it's stretched. There are still a few good dogfight missions (I have not completed the campaign yet).
Old 05-02-2012, 05:23 AM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

These are automated missions and it can happen quite often. The campaign generator was originally designed for eastern front scenarios, where flying distances hardly mattered.
I once flew a Pacific campaign and had at least five successive missions where I was the only plane to make it back to base, all other planes, both enemy and friendly, ran out of fuel before they got back. I quit playing that campaign.
As a worst case option, you can also open the mission editor and change the mission so that it works. Which brings me to the next point - try finding user made manual campaigns. These are often more atmospheric and you won't run into that sort of trouble. I'm pretty sure IceFire could recommend a few.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Approved Member

Cadet_Flagello, are you using 4.11.1? There were issues with the fuel consumption rates of some planes, which drastically decreased the range of some aircraft types in the game. For some of the planes Team Daidalos has fixed that in patch 4.11.1, but I don't know if the Hurricane was one of these planes.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

Only a handful of planes suffered from an accidental change in fuel consumption rates in 4.11, all of them were brought back to previous figures with 4.11.1. The Hurricane was not effected.