Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Approved Member

Default Awesome game!

This game is pretty much perfect for me. As an avid player of the PC series, this improves on it in nearly every aspect. From graphics, to gameplay, to sound, to accessibility...I mean, it's just SUCH a job well-done.

To anyone on the fence about buying it, you need to know that unless you're playing Arcade mode, a flightstick of some kind is HIGHLY recommended. The Av8tor is something like 40 bucks, and makes a world of difference and opens up the game to a whole new level. I myself have the Ace Edge, and although it was designed for giant hands and the rudder is too sensitive, it's great.

My only complaints are the lack of German cockpits for multiplayer, but I hear that's being added in DLC later on. When that IS added, it'd be great to see a search function for online play that limits it to cockpits only. But those are pretty small gripes when you put the whole thing into perspective. An actual flight SIM on console?! Amazing.

Yay. Yay. And finally, yay.

Oh. And a brake button for landing for those of us with flight sticks. Maybe a proper button-mapping feature?

Last edited by Mr Greezy; 09-10-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Approved Member

Your not getting the “dreaded dead spot” that many are complaining about on this forum?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Yes, an awesome game indeed. God it's good to live in the HD era: 46" LCD, Hori EX HOTAS and IL2 BoP! Some noteworthy moments so far:

Two days ago i watched a national geographic documentary about the siege of Berlin. It showed the use of the Berlin airport as a repair station for damaged FW190's up until the last days of the war. It also explained the charactaristic shape of the airport: it also functioned as a kind of 'arena' in order to host big events organized by the nazi party. Berlin was defended by three gigantic flak towers (flak bunkers) capable of firing a maximum total of 80.000 AA rounds per minute.

When playing IL2 BoP yesterday i was playing the last campaign missions taking you to Berlin. First i was impressed to see the characteristic airfield being present in the game, exactly as shown in documentary. While the mission progressed i was wondering if the flakbunkers were in the game too. Shortly thereafter the mission ordered me to destroy the bunkers . The bunkers were shaped after their real life counterparts: AWESOME.

I had my first online experience today. I hosted a dogfight game on SIM mode. One guy joined. He couldn't get me of his tail and i had multiple hits on him. His plane was already smoking and when i was going for the kill the guy crashed his plane. This happened three times in a row. Because of the crash i didn't get registered kills. This needs to be fixed ASAP as it takes the fun out of MP. This evening i will be playing online again in SIM mode. Hopefully the experience will be better.

Last edited by SigSwat551; 09-10-2009 at 06:15 PM.