Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Crossworlds > Mods

Mods King's Bounty: Crossworlds Mods

Old 08-27-2012, 02:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatt_Shade View Post
You really got yourself nice little project with implementing ToM&M in this game
I hear, ya - in the thick of it right now!

Quote:
Nice ideas, with set tomes, paired tomes and upgrading (10lvl`s i think is to much but test it and see what those fights look like and decide). About Portrait of Bill Gilbert giving tomes every 10 battles, do you plan to make it player must keep in in inventory to count battle, or must have it in backpack with items that he dont use (because portrait is terrible item, and among first i change in every game
Just in the backpack - I've tried it like this, should also work equipped. I'm glad I didn't sell it in my game because like you said it's all not that great of an item, but okay.

I've been doing some minor testing with my game I just finished and it seems to work okay so far...

Quote:
Wives and rage spirits from the Legend, damn great plan, but HOW ??? This seems like to complicated to be functional. How will spirits work ? will they have active spells like in tL, or just giving some passive bonuses like items, just special in area of influence. Wives i figure will just have bonuses to whole race like in tL, and that will work nicely i think.
Yah - they'll just be items, although I may give them some scrolls to give you (I'm thinking the spirits will have scrolls to give you of their CW spells).

I'm still working on what their bonuses are going to be, but I've got some ideas...

Quote:
I got 1 idea my own. After i started new game with your change to starting units in tL and for paladin i got cerbery , ent and vampires i thought WTF am I supposed to do with this starting army Then i saw i got all active abilities for those units right on start, while in original settings with human starting army you couldnt make special attacks, without Heroism skill 1/2/3 lvl.
If memory serves, Heroism Level 1 was only for Swordmen / Guardsmen special attack, Level 2 Bowmen Fire Arrow, and Level 3 Knight Circle Attack (with H3B Horsemen Charge). All other units get their abilities right at the start.

By the way, the starting armies and spells are now randomized. This gives you a chance to start with a totally different set of units. It is fully customizeable, and can add and remove units to pick from (I'll be implementing this feature in AP / CW sooner or later).

Quote:
So i want to make certain hero skills when upgrading to unlock 3rd/4th/5th lvl units special attacks, but to place them in all skill tree, not just in Heroism. Expl : Archmage unit - Battle mage will be unlocked on 2nd lvl Heroism, as it gives archies more dmg potential. Magic shield will be unlocked on 2nd lvl of glory (glory inspires heroes army to noble acts of valor and help each other since this is support ability it goes to mind tree. Telekinesis goes to 2nd lvl of wisdom skill since it`s . . . i have no idea why it just goes there
Inquisitor holy rage gives rage and makes your units to make more dmg to undead/demons so it goes to 1st vll heroism, but revive is glory 1st lvl. . .
All 1 and 2 lvl units have all active battle abilities from start, but 3rd lvl units need some hero skill to unlock their and not all with same skill, 4th lvl units need 2lvl of that skill to work in battle, and 5th lvl units need 3lvl skill for them ( 5th lvl will be boring here, but in AP/CW there are much more 5th lvl units so there this will work nicely i think). And about placing abilities in skill tree, it depends if it is support it is mind/magic depending on type, if it`s active and work on enemy units it goes to might tree (dryad lullaby cast on enemy units and is might/heroism, summon thorn mind/glory, elven song is magic/wisdom it`s basically battle cry spell for elves). Some abilities i`m not sure where to put : demonolog tread of life is dmg ability against enemy unit but it revives ally so might or mind, alchemist trowing potions are all like spells but dmg enemy so might or magic , and some others.
My question to you is : Where in your HoMM3 mod files is reference how to unlock human units abilities with heroism skill on 1/2/3 lvl ???
To do so, just look at one of the units I mention above, and you'll see a parameter called "require_skill" and you can update their skills in their ATOM file to require a certain skill and level. Note, though, that if you do this, then the enemy units won't have that skill at all. There's a way around this in theory, but it is complex and you'd have to mess with the LUA files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCaspermeyer View Post
I'm going to experiment with what item type to make them - I'd like to make them a combined regalia / artifact item, but that didn't seem to work. So I can either just make them artifacts or maybe I'll consider them like the metamorph item and they can fit in any slot. We'll see - if I can't figure out how to make them regalia / artifact, then I'll probably make them metamorphic during the early alpha development to aid in checking out their bonuses, etc and then just make them artifacts at the end. Unfortunately, there are only 4 artifact slots max right now, and for some class / companion combinations you might only get 1 or 2 slots - the Warrior and Paladin only have 1 artifact slot. I may also consider making them other item types based on their HOMM3 hero class (i.e. maybe Knights are Shields or Armor).
Well, what do you know - I *can* make them Artifact / Regalia! So this part is now working!

I got the pictures implemented and am now working on bringing in the item description labels, etc.

I'll have to check the Artifact / Regalia slots of the hero classes and companion and see what the max Tome slots would be. With Mage and Elenhel you get 5 slots...

/C\/C\
Old 08-27-2012, 07:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
By the way, the starting armies and spells are now randomized. This gives you a chance to start with a totally different set of units. It is fully customizeable, and can add and remove units to pick from (I'll be implementing this feature in AP / CW sooner or later).
That`s why i wanted to limit other unit`s since before you started with human army and had chance to pick some neutrals, couple undead and alchemist in Marshan swamp. So why all other units have unlocked abilities, and only humans need some hero skill to be functional. And now you can start with almost any race units then training limitations make no sense for only human army any more

Quote:
To do so, just look at one of the units I mention above, and you'll see a parameter called "require_skill" and you can update their skills in their ATOM file to require a certain skill and level. Note, though, that if you do this, then the enemy units won't have that skill at all. There's a way around this in theory, but it is complex and you'd have to mess with the LUA files...
Well there goes my idea, back to the drawing board

As for making tomes artifact/regalia, hm . . . why not set it different type of items ; army/dmg type like Crag Hack goes and such to weapon, defense bonus shield/belt/armor , mostly -lds% regalia . . . So you can have them in all slots not just 2 type of slots in hero inventory. As you plan it now warrior will be at most disadvantage, and mage will be able to carry with Elenhel 6 tomes (artifact, belt/artifact , shield/artifact , regalia/artifact and 2 in Elenhel). Or best to make it as metamorphic axel, all tomes same (since kids in KB-tL didnt choose where to appear, just show up on random wife slot and that was it)?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:41 AM
Approved Member

Smile Good points...

Quote:
That`s why i wanted to limit other unit`s since before you started with human army and had chance to pick some neutrals, couple undead and alchemist in Marshan swamp. So why all other units have unlocked abilities, and only humans need some hero skill to be functional. And now you can start with almost any race units then training limitations make no sense for only human army any more

Well there goes my idea, back to the drawing board
I hear you - it is quite limiting. I was going to add the capability of the enemy human units to have these abilities later in the game (my "in theory"), but the Knight Circle Attack caused the game to crash when the AI used it. If I'm not mistaken, there was a similar problem in either AP or CW. I just didn't have a chance to go back and revisit it and see how it was fixed in AP/CW.

Quote:
As for making tomes artifact/regalia, hm . . . why not set it different type of items ; army/dmg type like Crag Hack goes and such to weapon, defense bonus shield/belt/armor , mostly -lds% regalia . . . So you can have them in all slots not just 2 type of slots in hero inventory. As you plan it now warrior will be at most disadvantage, and mage will be able to carry with Elenhel 6 tomes (artifact, belt/artifact , shield/artifact , regalia/artifact and 2 in Elenhel). Or best to make it as metamorphic axel, all tomes same (since kids in KB-tL didnt choose where to appear, just show up on random wife slot and that was it)?
This is certainly under consideration, so I may make them Regalia / Artifact / Shield or metamorphic like you mention and I mentioned previously. We'll just have to see. I'm not sure if I want you to be able to equip all your item slots with them as you'll probably be very powerful. So rather, I'll probably revisit the hero and companion item slots and adjust them so that you can equip 5 total tomes. Unless I miscounted, I thought Mage + Elenhel was 5 total Regalia / Artifact slots.

The general idea, though, is to make it as fair as possible for all hero class / companion combinations so you can equip 4-5 items.

We'll see how it goes...

/C\/C\
Old 09-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Approved Member

Default Implementation of new start varibility added

I've still been working on my mod, but it is has been slow going due to my limited time and (until recently) the lack of the capability to reference the LUA library.

Nonetheless, I've been making good progress with the implementation of the tomes and some other ideas.

Notably, I've finished implementing the capability that I added in my TL H3 Babies mod: random starting armies and spells for the 3 different hero classes.

I've also augmented this system with random item generation as well including containers (i.e. eggs, etc.) and a select list of level 1 items for each class.

Some screenshots are attached below, but essentially, each hero class's sections have been augmented to increase variability of starting units, spells, and items and each part is implmented via:
  1. On the class's army = line, the units that are possible for that starting hero are listed and randomly selected if the hero has enough leadership for that unit as well as adding the max number of units that the hero can lead. You simply list the units that are available and the numbers are automatically generated to the hero's max leadership. For rebirth (i.e. when the hero dies), this list is used to recreate the hero's rebirth army (which can now be larger since the hero will most likely have more leadership). The maximum leadership is capped by a value specified in LOGIC.TXT via the difficulty level. So if you list Black Dragon's in the unit's army list, the hero probably won't start the game with them (since they most likely have insufficient leadership), but it is possible to get them in the future (on a rebirth) if the unit is selected. Note that all units in the army= list are equally probable.
  2. The class's spells section now allows the listing of spells with a chance for the hero to get them at the start of the game. There are separate spell_chance and scroll_chance fields such that if a spell is listed with it set to 0 (i.e. spell_dispell=0) then there is a chance that the hero starts with that spell based on the spell_chance setting and depending on the scroll_chance whether the spell will either be learned or a scroll. So, for example, if the Paladin has spell_chance=10, there is a 10% chance that the spell listed set to 0 will be given to the starting hero. If the spell is selected then if scroll_chance=50 there is a 50% chance that that spell will be a scroll (as opposed to being learned). Any valid spell may be added to the list and setting the value to a positive integer (i.e. 1) means that the hero automatically starts with that spell (just like before) and setting it to a negative integer (i.e. -2) means that the hero automatically starts with the absolute value of that many scrolls (just like before).
  3. The class's item section now uses a system where if a negative integer is specified, then this becomes the chance to get that item as well as the maximum number of that item available. So for example if black_dragon_egg=-1, then there is a 1% chance to get 1 Black Dragon egg. If ent_seed=-10, then there is a 10% chance to get 1 to 10 Ent Seedlings. Also, I've added pertinent level 1 items to a hero's item list such that they have a 1% chance to get 1 of those items (i.e. simple_sword=-1).
The system gives an incredible amount of variability to the starting class's army, spells, and items.

I've also added some new item combination slots to give more variability to each class's item choices as well as to ensure that each hero class has at least 3 artifact / regalia slots for Tomes (which are both artifacts and regalia and therefore equipable in either slot). The new combination slots are: 1) artefact,belt (i.e. Artifact/Belt), 2) shield,regalia (Shield/Regalia), and 3) artefact,gloves (Artifact/Gloves). The first two were in The Legend, but removed for some reason in AP/CW, whereas the third one is new that I just created. Look for these icons in the attached pictures below.

I've also tweaked the experience and leadership tables such that they have a consistent growth throughout the game (whereas the previous lists had inconsistent growth in a few spots).

Here are the class-specific sections for the armies, spells, items, and slots (note that commented sections have a starting "//"):

Warrior:
Code:
                // New! Just list the units and a random number within the hero's leadership will be selected
army=peasant,sprite_lake,thorn,thorn_warrior,dragonfly_lake,sprite,dragonfly_fire,devilfish,spider_venom,skeleton,spider_undead,archer,spider,robber,hyena,miner,dryad,pirat,snake_green,graywolf,robber2,snake,zombie,barbarian,barbarian2,footman,goblin,zombie2,goblin2,priest,bowman,satyr,pirat2,footman2,werewolf,snake_royal,bear,ghost,elf,bear2,orc,vampire,dwarf,griffin,priest2,druid,ghost2,catapult,unicorn,orc2,elf2,bear_white,unicorn2,blackknight,knight,vampire2,horseman,archmage,necromant,shaman,cannoner,paladin,alchemist,ent,griffin2,kingthorn,ogre,ent2,bonedragon,cyclop,giant,greendragon,runemage,reddragon,blackdragon
	// New! Chance of getting a spell if it is set to 0
	spell_chance=5
	// New! Chance that a random spell is a scroll
	scroll_chance=75
        // New! Set spell = 0 for a random spell / scroll at start based on chance above
        spells {
        	spell_healing=0
        	spell_defenseless=0
		spell_stone_skin=0
//		spell_last_hero=0
		spell_dragon_arrow=0
		spell_magic_axe=0
		spell_bless=0
		spell_adrenalin=0
		spell_pacifism=0
		spell_anger_management=0
		spell_accuracy=0
		spell_haste=0
        	spell_slow=-1
		spell_reaction=0
		spell_berserker=0
//		spell_shroud=0
		spell_target=0
		spell_dragon_wake=0
		spell_trap=0
		spell_ghost_sword=0
		spell_fire_arrow=0
		spell_smile_skull=0
//		spell_oil_fog=0
		spell_fire_breath=0
		spell_weakness=0
		spell_kamikaze=0
		spell_totem_adrenalin=0
		spell_balance=0
		spell_armor=0
		spell_splash=0
        }
//        army=bowman|3|footman|5|bear|2
//        spells {
//          spell_haste=-1
//        }

items {
            time_clock=1
            picture_inspirit=1
	    rage_potion=2
	    black_dragon_egg=-1 // negative values mean chance and max number of that item
	    bonedragon_egg=-1
	    red_dragon_egg=-2
	    dragon_egg=-1
	    dfly_egg=-40
	    ent_seed=-5
	    griffin_egg=-10
	    skeleton_grave=-40
	    snake_egg=-20
	    spider_egg=-40
	    thorn_seed=-50
	    vampire_grave=-10
	    simple_helm=-1
	    warrior_helm=-1
	    shtopir=-1
	    simple_sword=-1
	    round_shield=-1
	    shield=-1
	    chain=-1
	    leather_armor=-1
	    chief_belt=-1
	    boots=-1
	    graceful_boots=-1
	    valor_sign=-1
	    beast_rage_book=-1
	    guard_braces=-1
	    ball_dress=-1
        }
    slots {
      // slot name in the interface types of items that can be added in a comma-separated list
      // Do not forget to use important combinations hero.txt -> slot_bgs
      1=helmet
      2=weapon
      3=armor,dress
      4=boots
      5=shield,regalia
      6=weapon,shield
      7=artefact,gloves
      8=regalia,belt
      wife=wife
    }
Paladin:

Code:
        // New! Just list the units and a random number within the hero's leadership will be selected
        army=peasant,sprite_lake,thorn,thorn_warrior,dragonfly_lake,sprite,dragonfly_fire,hyena,miner,dryad,graywolf,barbarian,barbarian2,footman,priest,bowman,satyr,footman2,werewolf,bear,elf,bear2,dwarf,griffin,priest2,druid,unicorn,elf2,bear_white,unicorn2,knight,horseman,archmage,paladin,alchemist,ent,griffin2,kingthorn,ent2,cyclop,giant,greendragon,runemage,reddragon,blackdragon
	spell_chance=10
	scroll_chance=50
        // New! Set spell = 0 for a random spell / scroll at start based on chance above
        spells {
	        spell_dispell=0
        	spell_healing=1
        	spell_defenseless=0
		spell_stone_skin=0
//		spell_last_hero=0
		spell_dragon_arrow=0
		spell_magic_axe=0
		spell_bless=1
		spell_adrenalin=0
		spell_pacifism=0
		spell_dragon_slayer=0
		spell_phoenix=0
		spell_animal_call=0
//		spell_gifts=0
		spell_demon_slayer=0
		spell_lightning=0
		spell_resurrection=1
		spell_divine_armor=0
		spell_holy_rain=0
		spell_angel_avenger=0
		spell_accuracy=0
		spell_haste=0
		spell_reaction=0
        	spell_exorcism=0
		spell_totem_adrenalin=0
		spell_balance=0
		spell_armor=0
		spell_orb=0
		spell_icethorn=0
		spell_gizmo=0
        }
        //army=gorguana|50|blackdragon|20|griffin2|5|griffin_spirit|12|paladin|15
//	    army=footman|4|peasant|28|bowman|2

//        spells {
//		spell_bless=1
//		spell_healing=1
//		spell_pacifism=-1
//        }

items {
            time_clock=1
            picture_inspirit=1
	    mana_potion=1
	    rage_potion=1
	    black_dragon_egg=-1
	    red_dragon_egg=-1
	    dragon_egg=-2
	    dfly_egg=-45
	    ent_seed=-10
	    griffin_egg=-20
	    thorn_seed=-50
	    concentration_bandage=-1
	    guard_helm=-1
	    simple_helm=-1
	    warrior_helm=-1
	    simple_sword=-1
	    round_shield=-1
	    shield=-1
	    chain=-1
	    simple_belt=-1
	    steel_band=-1
	    graceful_boots=-1
	    steel_boots=-1
	    valor_sign=-1
	    beast_rage_book=-1
	    guard_braces=-1
	    ball_dress=-1
	    walking_dress=-1
        }
    slots {
      1=helmet
      2=weapon
      3=armor,dress
      4=boots
      5=regalia,artefact
      6=shield,gloves
      7=shield,regalia
      8=belt,regalia
      wife=wife
    }
Mage:

Code:
        army=sprite_lake,thorn,thorn_warrior,dragonfly_lake,sprite,dragonfly_fire,devilfish,spider_venom,archer,spider,dryad,snake_green,graywolf,spider_fire,snake,goblin,goblin2,priest,bowman,satyr,werewolf,snake_royal,elf,griffin,priest2,druid,catapult,beholder,unicorn,elf2,unicorn2,knight,beholder2,horseman,archmage,necromant,shaman,cannoner,paladin,alchemist,ent,griffin2,kingthorn,ent2,bonedragon,cyclop,giant,greendragon,runemage,reddragon,blackdragon
	spell_chance=15
	scroll_chance=25
        spells {
	        spell_dispell=0
        	spell_healing=-1
        	spell_defenseless=0
		spell_stone_skin=0
//		spell_last_hero=0
		spell_dragon_arrow=0
		spell_magic_axe=0
		spell_bless=0
		spell_adrenalin=0
		spell_pacifism=0
//		spell_dragon_slayer=0
//		spell_phoenix=0
		spell_animal_call=0
		spell_anger_management=0
//		spell_gifts=0
//		spell_demon_slayer=0
//		spell_lightning=0
//		spell_resurrection=0
//		spell_divine_armor=0
//		spell_holy_rain=0
		spell_angel_avenger=0
		spell_accuracy=0
		spell_haste=0
        	spell_slow=0
		spell_reaction=0
		spell_berserker=0
		spell_shroud=0
		spell_pain_mirror=0
		spell_target=0
		spell_magic_source=0
		spell_dragon_wake=0
		spell_trap=0
//		spell_invisibility=0
		spell_ghost_sword=0
//		spell_phantom=0
//		spell_teleport=0
//		spell_pygmy=0
//		spell_blind=0
//		spell_hypnosis=0
//		spell_geyser=0
        	spell_exorcism=0
//		spell_time_return=0
		spell_fire_arrow=1
		spell_smile_skull=0
		spell_scare=0
//		spell_oil_fog=0
//		spell_plague=0
		spell_fire_breath=0
		spell_magic_bondage=0
		spell_ice_serpent=0
        	spell_fire_ball=0
		spell_sacrifice=0
		spell_weakness=0
//		spell_evilbook=0
		spell_kamikaze=0
		spell_crue_fate=0
//		spell_ram=0
//		spell_demonologist=0
		spell_fire_rain=0
//		spell_necromancy=0
//                spell_zlogn=0
//		spell_armageddon=0
//                spell_death_star=0
//                spell_inferno_dragon=0
		spell_totem_adrenalin=0
		spell_balance=0
		spell_fishes=0
		spell_rockfall=0
//		spell_quake=0
		spell_armor=0
		spell_splash=0
//		spell_orb=0
		spell_icethorn=0
//		spell_gizmo=0
//		spell_souldrain=0
//		spell_darkhole=0
        }
//        army=sprite|11|peasant|20|dragonfly_lake|11
//        spells {
//            spell_fire_arrow=1
//            spell_slow=1
//            spell_fire_ball=-1
//            spell_healing=-1
//        }

items {
            time_clock=1
            picture_inspirit=1
	    mana_potion=2
	    black_dragon_egg=-2
	    bonedragon_egg=-1
	    red_dragon_egg=-1
	    dragon_egg=-1
	    dfly_egg=-40
	    ent_seed=-5
	    griffin_egg=-10
	    skeleton_grave=-40
	    snake_egg=-20
	    spider_egg=-40
	    thorn_seed=-50
	    vampire_grave=-10
	    concentration_bandage=-1
	    straw_hat=-1
	    disciple_staff=-1
	    road_staff=-1
	    leather_armor=-1
	    boots=-1
	    graceful_boots=-1
	    old_boots=-1
	    white_slippers=-1
	    fisher_net=-1
	    inkpot=-1
	    snake_ring=-1
	    warm_gloves=-1
	    novice_dress=-1
        }
    slots {
      1=helmet
      2=weapon
      3=armor,dress
      4=boots
      5=regalia,artefact
      6=shield,artefact
      7=belt,gloves
      8=artefact,belt
      wife=wife
    }
I'll try to provide an update with these changes soon so that you can check them out, in the meantime, you can look at the images and get an idea of the variability of the implementation.

1. Paladin Start with Item - shows the Paladin's starting items (note that she got an Ordinary Helmet as well as some thorn seedlings and dragonfly eggs, and now Paladin's start with 1 each of a mana and rage potion). Starting army (note that this was pretty lucky to get Inquisitors and Priests, the Unicorns are a nice bonus). Also note the combo items (armor / dress, then from upper to lower right: 1) Artifact/Regalia, 2) Shield/Gloves, 3) Shield/Regalia, and 4) Belt/Regalia.
  2. Warrior Start with New Portrait - once again note items (Warriors start with 2 Rage potions); note that the Bill Gilbert portrait is setup to start giving Tomes; note starting randomized army.
  3. Mage with great start - note the items (1 included Bone Dragon egg! 1% chance - what luck!) and that Mage starts with 2 Mana Potions.
  4. Mage Example Starting Spellbook - note the starting spells / scrolls, completely randomized except for the healing scroll (i.e. spell_healing=-1).
  5. Paladin Example Starting Spellbook - once again note starting spells (healing and resurrection are set =1).
/C\/C\
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paladin Start with Item.jpg (884.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Warrior Start with New Portrait.jpg (888.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Mage with great start.jpg (879.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Mage Example Starting Spellbook.jpg (480.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Paladin Example Starting Spellbook.jpg (438.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Approved Member

Nice good news
Si you decided in the end to make tomes artifact/regalia type of item, instead metamorphosis.
How did testing of Bill Gilberts portrait went ? Odes it work as you stated here, after 1/2/4/8/16 ... battles gives you random tome item?
And posting some partial mod would be nice for testing purposes
Old 09-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Approved Member

I think Artifact / Regalia is a good start so that you'll only be able to equip 3 on your hero and I'm going to rework the companion slots down the road so that you'll get another 2 or 3 between them and they'll have a lot more dual slots.

As far as the Bill Gilbert portrait numbering is concerned, I think it makes sense for 1, 3, 6, 10, etc. for playtesting so that you get more tomes sooner and can double check them to ensure they work. Whether it stays that way down the road, I'm not certain.

I'll try to get an update soon, I'm in the process of implementing the spell system and so have made a lot of changes to the spells that I need to test and fix bugs, etc. I haven't fully implemented all the tomes yet, and so that is another area where a lot more work needs to be done so I'm starting to get to the point where a lot of work needs to be done to implement some of these new features, but I am making progress.

I'd like to get the start variability changes released, though, so that people can simply try that part out - hopefully soon as I want to also apply that update to AP.

There are quite a few differences between AP and CW and so it is hard to keep them synchronized, but I do try to implement changes in both where I can with the same set of files...

/C\/C\
Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

I can add an informative message, though, to indicate that it's working.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Approved Member

Default Brief Update...

Just want to give everyone a brief update...

I have finished the first cut of the tome bonuses and their descriptions. This task has literally been Herculean as I've been working on the system to generate the tomes and their descriptions since I initially posted this thread with the only breaks being my brief foray into WotN, my last H3B playthrough / development cycle, and Heart of the Swarm.

Each item has 5 levels and there are 11 tome groups where you draw upon a tome from each group your first pass through (after 11 tome awards) and then after that any tome that hasn't been given is available.

Currently the item logic is setup to give you a tome after the 1st, 3rd, 6th, 10th, 15th, 21st, etc. battles. This way you get a lot of tomes early for checking them out and ensuring they work. Once the alpha phase is complete I'll probably change it to give you a tome once every 15-20 battles. I think there are around 330 battles in AP (or is it CW?) so currently you should get around 24 tomes, whereas you'll get 16-22 depending on whether I implement 20 or 15 battles down the road.

I still need to figure out how to transmute certain tomes to others (i.e. Rina -> Zombie Rina), but I'm going to worry about that a little bit more down the road. There are 180 tomes, although some of these are dual (i.e. Rina & Zombie Rina) and 5 levels for each tome giving you technically 900 new items!

When you upgrade the tome to the next level, you fight the typical Gremlin Towers plus the HOMM3 / TL Hero for that item - that is the part I need to work on next is the HOMM3 / TL Enemy Hero files. These heroes will have their abilities from HOMM3 / TL for their level. Once this task is complete (hopefully within a month) I'll be able to provide the next alpha release since right now if you try to upgrade an item the game will crash since they don't exist.

There are 180 new possible tomes (a few less due to dual tomes such as Rina / Zombie Rina) and giving 16-22 tomes per game should create a lot of re-playability.

I'm really starting to get excited as I'm now close to a position where I can start adding the non-tome content from my H3B mod.

Thanks for your patience as this kind of development work simply takes a long time!

Matt

/C\/C\
Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Approved Member

Wow, this looks awesome, and it's great to see it's still being worked on!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 AM
Approved Member

Default Another brief update

Another brief update...

Okay, I've generated the following files:

1. *.act files for the tomes
2. *.hero files for the tomes

For both of the above this is 900 files (for a total of 1800!). These files are needed for the tome heroes when you suppress / upgrade the tomes.

I now have all the tome files implemented in one fashion or another. This is the first cut, but it should be at least 80% of the way there.

Right now I'm working on a common release for both AP & CW. The way this works is that I've determined which files are the same, which ones are different, and which are AP / CW only. The general idea is to edit the files that are the same between AP / CW (or nearly the same) first. This way I can maintain commonality between the two games as much as possible before the development forks. For example, ITEMS_MONSTER.TXT is the same for both games, so if I edit this file and have it include H3_TOMES.TXT, this will add the tome items to both games without me having to edit ITEMS.TXT, which are different for each game.

When it comes to the *.LNG files, it doesn't matter if I have extra labels from CW so long as they don't improperly overwrite the AP ones. So I'm going to do my best here with respect to adding new labels that work with both games.

I'm in the process of determining whether I can have bonuses for units that don't exist in AP. So for example if an item has a bonus to Orc Hunters, then I'm hoping that if I have it in AP the game won't crash. The work around would be to include the missing ATOM's in AP, but I want to avoid that if possible.

So we'll see how all this goes, I'd still like to release an alpha update that is common to both games within a couple of weeks or sooner if possible...

Matt

/C\/C\