Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 01-18-2012, 07:43 PM
speculum jockey

I was wondering what I missed more from this sim.

1. Fun missions.
2. 64bit exe
3. DX11
4. Stutter-Free gameplay
5. Those day/week long online battles Oleg bragged about.
6. The memory-leak being addressed.
7. More flyable aircraft.
8. Caterbury Cathedral
9. Proper AI/Radio commands

Hmmmmmm. . . . GOT to be #8.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehawk View Post
Same legal issues as designing a piece of software using someone else's code or properties without permission.
Software is usually a licensing issue and I doubt old buildings are licensed.

Cars are branded (and the companies are still in business) so I understand why you can not use a Ford and call it a Ford, but historic architecture likeness being contested does not seem to make sense to me. I have seen old buildings in other games, are they paying license fees to someone to show Big Ben? or Parliament? Google street view does not pay anyone to use building likeness (but you can petition to have your building not show up if wanted) so I am curious how that works.

I actually can not find anything on building likeness usage on the internet so I'm asking here.

Last edited by von Pilsner; 01-18-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Pilsner View Post

Cars are branded (and the companies are still in business) so I understand why you can not use a Ford and call it a Ford, but historic architecture likeness being contested does not seem to make sense to me. I have seen old buildings in other games, are they paying license fees to someone to show Big Ben? or Parliament? Google street view does not pay anyone to use building likeness (but you can petition to have your building not show up if wanted) so I am curious how that works.

I actually can not find anything on building likeness usage on the internet so I'm asking here.
Because this issue don't exist.

1C/MG just don't do the models of these buildings.

I'm a little bit tired of all these "excuses". Ok, 1C/MG don't do these models, someone can do. But this "they don't do because they can't"...

I hope that russian buildings aren't "copyrighted"...

Bye!
Old 01-18-2012, 08:37 PM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Pilsner View Post
If they were, Google Earth (3D Building option) would be sued for billions.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Approved Member

A far more important landmark is Selhurst Park, as it was when everything was black and white

Think I may have to model it one day
Old 01-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
A far more important landmark is Selhurst Park, as it was when everything was black and white

Think I may have to model it one day
Ouch! Memories!
I'm not a big football follower but I remember being about 10 and my Dad and Brother-in-law took me to see a local derby, Crystal Palace playing Millwall at Selhurst Park (interpret that as "Atilla the Hun and his mates meets Ghengis Khan's mob with hangovers"). We stood on this side of the pitch about halfway up the terraces just where the right hand edge of the photo is. I nearly suffocated in the crush to get out through those big gates after the match. It didn't strike me as a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Anyway, the photo would be a good reference for as it was during the war because it was still the same when I was there.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Approved Member

Various Cathedrals, Monuments, Castles are shown on WOP maps- any that don't appear in CloD is probably for one reason - they weren't included rather than for any legal issues. Stonehenge, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, the Castle at Dover, etc, do.

Its a big map - can you really expect that level of detail regards landmarks and where do you draw the line for what, and what not, to include?

AMD A8 5600K Quad Core 3.6 Ghz - Win 7 64 - 8Gb Ram - GTX660ti 2Gb VRAM - FreeTrack - X52 - Asus 23' Monitor.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:35 PM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE View Post
Various Cathedrals, Monuments, Castles are shown on WOP maps- any that don't appear in CloD is probably for one reason - they weren't included rather than for any legal issues. Stonehenge, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, the Castle at Dover, etc, do.

Its a big map - can you really expect that level of detail regards landmarks and where do you draw the line for what, and what not, to include?
Mrs. McAllister's flower bed at the end of her driveway has been omitted!

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Approved Member

Lol
Old 01-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE View Post

Well I'd draw the line that St Paul's should have been there, St. Paul's was probably the biggest architectural icon in WW2, certainly bigger than the Senate House which they included in CoD. Most people would not even notice if that was missing. Its a glaring oversight like forgetting the Empire State Building in New York and rendering Grand Central Terminal instead.