Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:20 AM
Approved Member

Default Dual 580s in SLI or 2 5870s in crossfire

I'm looking at 2 computers around the same price, 1 has dual 5870s the other SLI 580s.

Now the 580s are apparently the best GPUS around (tesselation) but the 5870s have EyeFinity, which I don't think the Nivida have? I would like Eyefinity but the 5870s are older tech than the 580s!

I realise both systems are over kill but my next computer will have to last 5 years+

Any help from tech guys?

Last edited by He111; 02-19-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Approved Member

You can try at SimHQ's Hardware & Software forums. They have very helpful guys there:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/8/1.html

Good luck.

Engadin.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Approved Member

Either way you go it really doesn't matter. I've gotten 3 years out of my single Gtx 260, and havn't had any issues with FPS. I know I'm going to have to upgrade to get the best experience for CoD, but damn... I was gunna go the route of a single Gtx 570 or something. The 580s would probably be better than the 5870s but at the same time a bit more expensive. I'm curious as to how much these rigs cost. Any word?

How about you wait for the Gtx 590s to come out and go triple SLI?! You'll get at least 10 years out of that hahahah only kidding

P.S. - Sorry i've been drinking.
- 2500k @ 4.8Ghz Lapped IHS - AsRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - MSI GTX 560 Ti 2Gb - Crutial M4 SATA3 64Gb SSD - 8Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz @ 8-8-8-21 RAM - Silverstone 750w Fully Modular PSU - Antec 1200 ATX Case - Zalman 9700 Cooler - Win7 Ultimate x64 -

Last edited by Tacoma74; 02-19-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Approved Member

Nvidia has its own "eyefinity"
Its called Nvidia surround or Nvidia 3D surround

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-visi...echnology.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dv-sys...echnology.html

Of-course it works without the 3D vision activated.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by He111 View Post
I'm looking at 2 computers around the same price, 1 has dual 5870s the other SLI 580s.

Now the 580s are apparently the best GPUS around (tesselation) but the 5870s have EyeFinity, which I don't think the Nivida have? I would like Eyefinity but the 5870s are older tech than the 580s!

I realise both systems are over kill but my next computer will have to last 5 years+

Any help from tech guys?

Go for the 580s - Nvidia can get a comparable setup to eyefinity, you just cant do it with a single card (2 outputs per card), but with 2 you can have 4 monitors. atm I have a 480 in, now nmb 72 in EVGA que for 580 step up. If it was a year ago I would of said go ATI, the 480 runs too hot, but the 580 really is a great card tbh, will do better in the long run, also is 3d ready... omg will COD be 3d capable? o.0

Thats some BS Ghodan, bloody post stealer
Old 02-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Approved Member

If I was upgrading solely for CoD I'ld wait till the game gets released till I made any major purchaces

Il-2 had issues with micro-stutters using SLI, I'm sure there are a few people around with SLI and crossfire rigs that can talk about any current issues

IF I was going to have the same computer for 5 years, I'ld want to find out about any performance quirks of the sim before getting it.

Also Bulldozer getting released in a month or so, so I heard, so it would be interesting to see the performance differences between the two main players.

I did a major upgrade a couple of years ago and locked myself into the socket 775 platform. A week later the i7's were released. Had I looked into it a bit further I'ld have waited.

Cheers and all the best!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
If I was upgrading solely for CoD I'ld wait till the game gets released till I made any major purchaces

Il-2 had issues with micro-stutters using SLI, I'm sure there are a few people around with SLI and crossfire rigs that can talk about any current issues

IF I was going to have the same computer for 5 years, I'ld want to find out about any performance quirks of the sim before getting it.

Also Bulldozer getting released in a month or so, so I heard, so it would be interesting to see the performance differences between the two main players.

I did a major upgrade a couple of years ago and locked myself into the socket 775 platform. A week later the i7's were released. Had I looked into it a bit further I'ld have waited.

Cheers and all the best!
Bulldozer is a CPU not GPU. But SLI and intel cpu's have better drivers and support than AMD tbh.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliocon View Post
Bulldozer is a CPU not GPU. But SLI and intel cpu's have better drivers and support than AMD tbh.
Eyefinity menu's are better/more advanced then Nvidia surround view. Its like Nvidia implemented it only because ATI/AMD has Eyefinity. So like a after thought)
CPU's dont really need drivers as we know them for GPU's.

There is no game that will give you a problem/conflict with a AMD cpu.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliocon View Post
Sorry for being holistic in my approach to upgrading hardware. If you reread He111's original text he says he is buying a new computer. Seeing how different sims vary between being CPU and GPU intensive and we have no idea how CoD will handle SLI/crossfire graphics (or CPU's for that matter) I would still make the same comments.

Cheers!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by He111 View Post

Any help from tech guys?

Well, if u can get a pc with 2x580 for roughly the same prize as 2x5870 i would say the 2x5870 pc is extremly overprized. (sounds odd to me though, 580 is at least twice as expensive.)

And, as already said, u can run 3 monitors with 2 580 and 3D if u prefer that.

Gtx580 eats 5870 for breakfast, lunch and dinner, no way arround that.

Last edited by Baron; 02-19-2011 at 11:17 AM.