Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rittmeister86 View Post
Thanks for the input.

I know that there are no wheel brakes on the Ace Edge. I have run several tests to confirm this. I also keep the yoke back while rolling out, but it seems I always flip.
That's what is doing it. I can land fine in sim mode as long as I don't apply any elevator to get the tail down and keep the nose high to help to slow down. It does not seem to matter how low your speed is, if you pull back on the stick, it crashes. Every single time I do that it then tumbles and crashes, if I leave the elevator alone after landing and just use the brakes then it is fine.

That mode where you have to capture the airbases is going to be impossible for the flightstick crew in sim mode, you will either crash or roll off the end of the runway because you can't brake.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Approved Member

Location: The Moon, or Texas, whichever you prefer to call it

Perhaps the fields will be more forgiving in multiplayer...I seem to land fine...but then keep on rolling into the blue yonder (or green, depends if trees are there) with no brake. I guess that's the trouble with bringing flight sims to consoles is that there's just not enough buttons in enough convenient places on a controller for all the features neccessary in flight.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:37 AM
Approved Member

Default Steps for landing with controller

I'm going to avoid things like come in straight with about 20% throttle yadda yadda yadda. I hope you guys know all of that (not trying to sound snobbish).

1. Make sure your flaps are set to landing (X button on 360)
----They will only set that way when your landing gear is fully lowered.
2. When touching down pull all the way back on the throttle stick (Right Stick) and all the way back with the Left Stick so your nose is pointing as high as possible with the wheels touching.
---Pulling back on the throttle acts as a wheel break.

At around 50 KM/h your plane will try and flip. The best way to avoid this is by making sure you are level and rolling straight and having both sticks pulled back. Make sure to remember that speed when trying to turn the aircraft around as it will still try and flip.

For turning the aircraft around on the ground use nothing but rudder (Right Stick) and have a constant battle with throttle percentage. You don't want to go above 30% but you don't want to stay at 30% for very long as you will start to pick up a lot more speed the necessary and will probably lose control. I tend to bring it up to 30%, start to move and turn, then quickly bring it back down and even apply break if necessary.

If you have any more questions about this or additions, just say.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:51 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for the detail.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundermuffin View Post

At around 50 KM/h your plane will try and flip. The best way to avoid this is by making sure you are level and rolling straight and having both sticks pulled back.
No it's the pulling back on the stick that makes it tumble and crash, just leave it alone and it will not. I've tried it loads of times, back pressure on stick = crash, no back pressure on stick = no crash.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Approved Member

Default Throttle/rudder control- help!

Ok chaps, just wondering if anybody can help out a complete novice...

When it comes to throttle managment or rudder control, i'm pretty much clueless

Can anybody can offer any advice on how to manage either, especially in regards to dogfighting?

I would also be grateful for any tips regarding control of either in other situations, such as strafing, diving, etc.

Many thanks in advance
Old 08-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
That's what is doing it. I can land fine in sim mode as long as I don't apply any elevator to get the tail down and keep the nose high to help to slow down. It does not seem to matter how low your speed is, if you pull back on the stick, it crashes. Every single time I do that it then tumbles and crashes, if I leave the elevator alone after landing and just use the brakes then it is fine.

That mode where you have to capture the airbases is going to be impossible for the flightstick crew in sim mode, you will either crash or roll off the end of the runway because you can't brake.
I ran three hours of tests on the demo last night.

To land successfully:

Aproach the field, etc., etc. (throttle to 30%)

upon touchdown REDUCE throttle to 20%

slow the aircraft to around 150 and pull back on the yoke (stick) and adjust trim.

Continue to keep back preassure on the yoke while slowing to 57 (throttle to zero)

at exactly 57 give a short burst of engine power by increasing the throttle to around 25-30% and immediately reset to zero. The idea here is to give just enough throttle to keep the aircraft from flipping WITHOUT GAINING SPEED. Your speed should slowly decrease throughout this entire step.

Roll out untill your speed reaches zero.

Works every time

Now I know some of this sounds like a bit much. Some of it doesn't make sense in terms of real worl physics, but this is what works.....
Old 08-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dald101 View Post
Ok chaps, just wondering if anybody can help out a complete novice...

When it comes to throttle managment or rudder control, i'm pretty much clueless

Can anybody can offer any advice on how to manage either, especially in regards to dogfighting?

I would also be grateful for any tips regarding control of either in other situations, such as strafing, diving, etc.

Many thanks in advance
Rudder:
Rudder helps a lot if you wind up in a turning fight. Turning the rudder in the direction on your turn will help you turn harder.

Speed:
When your in a dogfight you will need to concentrate on your speed in response to your enemy's speed. Make sure to slow down before you approach so you don't overshoot and have him on your six. And if you see him try to barrel roll or spin around you, slow down and try to get the edge on him by barrel rolling as well sometimes. This is called Rolling Scissors.
If you wind up doing a loop, slowing down and give you the edge sometimes.
But most importantly, just try to do your best to make sure you keep him in front of you.

If you want anything more specific just ask.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
No it's the pulling back on the stick that makes it tumble and crash, just leave it alone and it will not. I've tried it loads of times, back pressure on stick = crash, no back pressure on stick = no crash.
Well, not to play the I'm right you're wrong game, but this is what works for me. I guess that means that there are other mitigating factors that induce the flip.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNikex View Post
Rudder:
Rudder helps a lot if you wind up in a turning fight. Turning the rudder in the direction on your turn will help you turn harder.

Speed:
When your in a dogfight you will need to concentrate on your speed in response to your enemy's speed. Make sure to slow down before you approach so you don't overshoot and have him on your six. And if you see him try to barrel roll or spin around you, slow down and try to get the edge on him by barrel rolling as well sometimes. This is called Rolling Scissors.
If you wind up doing a loop, slowing down and give you the edge sometimes.
But most importantly, just try to do your best to make sure you keep him in front of you.

If you want anything more specific just ask.
Thanks! Thats pretty much what i have been doing, so it seems im on the right track

Just a couple more questions if i may...

When turning in a dogfight, i tend to lower the throttle - is this a mistake? Or Should full throttle be used?

In regards to the rudder - is it best to minimise its use for extremely sharpe turns or should every turn have a touch of rudder? - ( i
thought maybe its use caused more resistance and thus, a loss in airspeed)