Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Approved Member

Talking The Goat's Simulation Flight School

So... This Goat has noticed that the majority of people will try simulation about 1 or 2 times and then never play it again because they have a really tough time off the bat and become extremely frustrated.

I'm ranked number 1 on simulation dogfight on 360 and thought that I would share what I've learned through my 100+ matches that I've played so possibly more people will stick with simulation instead of growing frustrated and not trying it anymore.

1. When you start a match the FIRST thing to do is to switch your flaps into "combat" mode. This will increase your turn radius and increase the envelope you have before you hit a stall. You should only put your flaps into the "raised" position when you need speed. Most of the time speed is secondary to turning.

2. ADJUST YOUR ELEVATOR SENSITIVITY... This is why the majority of sim players do not come back. They find it too hard to keep their plane in the air because the elevators are in the default max position and they drop out of the sky by simply attempting a simple bank. Elevator sensitivity varies from plane to plane. For example, my LA-7's sensitivity is set to about 3 notches down.... Where as if I fly the Spit I have to set it about 5 notches down. You want your elevator sensitivity to where you have maximum turning radius without slipping into a stall. If your plane starts slipping to the left or right when your doing a full bank then you need to set them down another notch or so. When in the Virtual Cockpit you can see your stall envelope by the two horizontal lines on your HUD. When they start to cross one another then you are coming close to stalling. Know your plane's sensitivity... This is of the utmost importance.

3. Check your map OFTEN. But do not rely on it. Check your map to get a bearing on your target and then scan for him. Do not zone in on your map all the time. This will screw up your situational awareness and will get you shot down. Just use it to get a general idea of the vector and bearing on the target then start scanning for him.

4. If your having trouble finding targets then go low and bank and scan the horizon. 90% of dogfights are going to occur 1000 feet or lower. So if you see a furball happening on the map then you can bet that it is probably happening low on the ground. So if your at 3000 feet (Typical spawning altitude), then scan low.... Pick your target, and swoop down and attack.

5. Dogfighting and you: This one is a bit tough to describe to everyone. Everyone has a different style of dogfighting... And experience is key. You'll find what works for you and what doesn't. KNOW YOUR PLANE... This is KEY in a dogfight. Most dogfights will devolve into a simple turn battle. If you're flying a P-51 (Which you never would in a competitive dogfight), then DO NOT get into a turn fight with an I-16. You will die... Everytime. Just know and understand if you can out turn your enemy or not. You will learn which planes can out turn other planes through experience. If your plane cannot out turn your enemy then raise your flaps, max your throttle, then disengage and come back for another pass. Unfortunately, boom and zoom tactics are a bit tough to pull off because of the flawed kill system at this point. A lot of the times you will damage a plane in a decent pass and will not be credited with the kill when they crash. When this is fixed we should see a lot different tactics out of serious dogfighters. In the meantime, try to get sustained fire on a target. Destroying them air is about the only way to ensure a kill.

6. DO NOT GET TUNNEL VISION ON A TARGET: A lot of the times you'll be on someone's tail and then pick another up. Most of the time you will want to kill what's in front of you and attempt to ignore that someone's on your ass. If someone is on your butt, then try to shake them! Even if it means you give up the kill that is in front of you. A lot of the times you can shake the one on your butt and then get even more targets of opportunity.

7. This is related to number 6... TRY TO GET ON THE REAR OF A GRAVY TRAIN. A lot of the times when you engage in a furrball you'll notice that it is one target, on another target's tail, who happens to have someone on their tail, etc. Try to get in on the rear of this gravy train. jump in on the rear target of the train and start making your way forwards. That's why when someone jumps on your tail. it's a good idea to shake and try to re-engage on the rear of the train again. It will maximize your kills.

8. Try to think 3D: Banking is not the only way to attempt to loose a target... And a lot of the time simple 2D turn fighting will get you killed. Try losing them by map of the earth flying. Or raising your flaps and out speeding them, or if your plane has excellent climb characteristics, then climb away (Don't go straight up in the air though... That will usually get you shot down unless your fighting an EXTREMELY underpowered enemy). So avoid being in a 2D FURDISC. Try split S's, loops, switch backs, etc. Even scissor fighting can get a pursuer in front of you a lot of the time.

9. Also, think SPEED. If it seems like you are about to overshoot a target, then don't be scared to KILL your throttle. If you drop your throttle down to zero and goose it back up then you'll effectively drop your airspeed dramatically. A lot of fighters pay little attention to throttle and just keep it at 100. You'd be suprised how many times you can shake someone off you by paying close attention to your speed.

10. ETHICS.... This is the final and most important of The Goat's advice. DO NOT crash intentionally to shake someone off your tail. It's stupid, and makes you look like a jackass. Also, soon it will be patched, and if you're reliant on being a douchebag when it is patched then it is going to suck to go against decent fighters who don't engage in such behavior. If you are shot up and are having trouble staying in the air then announce to the room that they need to finish you off to get the kill. If they black something out on your plane then you can bailout and a lot of the times it will credit them with the kill. Keep the skies friendly and honorable. If someone is being an asshole and crashing all the time, then leave the room and send them a message why you quit early. We have one guy on our leaderboards who does this kind of crap all the time. His tag is 0 Monster 0 or something like that. Do not fly with this ass. Leave the room and let him fly by himself. Find me, Deadpreacherr, LA Smack, Ursala01, toastaddict, Seraphim, or other honorable people to fly with. Our group tends to be on a lot of the time. (By the way, those gamertags are not exact, just take a gander at the leaderboards to find us)

Another thing, when playing dogfight or team battle... It makes you look like an ass if you fly a plane with a rear gunner. It basically announces to the room that you can't really fly a plane too well.... So you're going to fly straight and level and use a rear gunner as if this game was an FPS. It's pretty lame. So do not make an extreme habit of this. It won't improve your skill, nor is it a respectable thing to do.

Love to all and I hope some of this helps. Sorry if a lot of it is obvious to you.

So keep it real and come find This Goat for a friendly game or two. I would love the simulation community to grow. And do not mind answering any questions anyone may have.

Last edited by PedroTheGoat; 09-14-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Approved Member

Great man!!! A question: do you mind if I copy and paste your Flying Lesson into the IL-2 board of the Swedish 360 community I run? Needless to say you will get FULL credits. I just wanna share it with our members and visitors. Just like you - I want this community to grow!

p.s. What platform are you using 'Goat?
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 LP | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 Lightning@1.3GHz | SSD: Corsair Force 3 | Hybrid: Seagate Momentus | QPAD MK-85 | QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 | Win7/64
Old 09-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hadji View Post
Great man!!! A question: do you mind if I copy and paste your Flying Lesson into the IL-2 board of the Swedish 360 community I run? Needless to say you will get FULL credits. I just wanna share it with our members and visitors. Just like you - I want this community to grow!

p.s. What platform are you using 'Goat?
Feel free to post this wherever you wish. I play on 360.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Approved Member

Expect a friend request if you have free slots available!
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 LP | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 Lightning@1.3GHz | SSD: Corsair Force 3 | Hybrid: Seagate Momentus | QPAD MK-85 | QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 | Win7/64
Old 09-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Expect a friend request if you have free slots available!
Will do.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Approved Member

And your GT is PedroTheGoat?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
And your GT is PedroTheGoat?
Sure is.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Approved Member

Friend request 12 o clock!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Approved Member

By the way... I forgot to mention that you can adjust your elevator sensitivity IN GAME.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
Feel free to post this wherever you wish. I play on 360.

wish you were on the PS3 their is this guy his name is EDAL86 and he likes to shoot me down. I mean he would break off a sure kill to plug my ahem. I think he is picking on me what should i do?

P.S anywho how many kills do you have?