Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 05:21 AM
Approved Member

Default what is the offical name of this new sim?

hi all,

I was surveying / following up discussions on this board for a while now. And, as many of you, il-2 sturmovik fans, i just can't wait for this new sequel to be up and released!

But, i just got a bit confused,...

what will be the official / final name of the sim?

"Storm Of War" ? "Battle of Britain" ?? "il-2 Battle Of Britain" ???

and, since we seem to be "so close" to the announced / estimated date of release, some questions are bothering me, such as:

why there is still no official dedicated main web-site for this sim????
where is the PC-DVD "artwork" box cover?
why none of the popular websites such as gamespot.com, simhq.com, combatsim.com, avsim.com and many others are not referencing it and even they have never ever heard about this highly anticipated combat flightsim ?

is it going to be available to purchase online through STEAM?

anyways, thank you very much, keep up the great work, and i hope to see it released as soon as possible!

regards,
highness

Last edited by highness; 08-21-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:32 AM
Approved Member

If I remember correctly...

Way back when (meaning I cant remember exactly when, but it was shortly after the "IL2 1946" DVD came out...which included our first look at "SoW" Mark 1), Oleg said that he wanted to hold a contest, the aim of which was to come up with a "NEW" name for the series...

People put up a whole thread full of names, but I don't remember if the issue was ever resolved by Oleg. I do seem to remember that Oleg found an artist he liked (for the box art)...but again this was some time ago.

If your curious, the thread I speak of was hosted at the "Ubi zoo"... so for all I know, the original thread has been locked or deleted by the good people of Ubi.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Tree_UK

I dont think there is any rush for a dedicated website at the momemnt because there isn't too much to show, i would imagine once we start seeing some video from a finshed game then the marketing process will kick in. Its now obvious to even the most diehard Oleg worshippers that SOW is still a way off, but the screenshots are very encouraging and Oleg and Luthier are certainly responding to some of the feedback so Im certain the finished product will be fantastic and well worth the wait.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Approved Member

So far as I know "Storm of War" (SOW) will be the name of the new series of flight sims. The first installment, will be Storm of War: Battle of Britain. Plans are to continue making add-ons to the sim just like IL2. Luthier and his boys have already started a Korean War add-on, and the speculation is that the next thing Oleg's team will work on is the Mediterranean.

I recall all of the sites you mentioned having articles and interviews at some point. I believe Sim HQ even has a forum.

All the rest will come in time. Maddox Games has a style all it's own they don't seem to be interested in wasting resources on building a hype machine like the western companies.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
I dont think there is any rush for a dedicated website at the momemnt because there isn't too much to show,.......
poor poor tree, its all so gloomy in tree-world, just about a years worth of weekly updates in just this forum alone, but tree sees "there isn't too much to show", ai ai ai, the sky is falling in !

Quote:
i would imagine once we start seeing some video from a finshed game then the marketing process will kick in.
no tree, those 2 aspects are completely unconnected

we do only start seeing ingame video from the (near) finished game when it is just about to be released, or released, because for oleg it seems important to keep his competition guessing till the last moment (so he gets some lead time and reestablishes himself as the leader in the field). you personally would whine even more if oleg had kept everybody openly informed about everything, his competition had copied the "look and feel" of his project yet without providing the depth and quality, and at oleg's release time you would have whines "but it doesnt look much different from the others"

about the marketing component, that will become more relevant once there is a fixed release date (you know, so they can keep their "promise" and the short attention span teens and so they dont get to jumpy with their ADD). BoB is not like a playstation console game that needs, or gets, lots of marketing hype to artificially build up sales and needs grab peoples attention amongst another 50 roughly the same games released by other companies around the same time. its a niche market, most of who's customers already know about it, some selected marketing at specific targets near release time will probably do it (and then being know as "the best in its genre")

Quote:
Its now obvious to even the most diehard Oleg worshippers that SOW is still a way off, .
no, only the fantasy in tree's mind is it a long way off, just because he believes lots of whining will somehow make a difference in eventual release time, or get him some personal attention

Quote:
but the screenshots are very encouraging .
OMFG you spotted something positive ? tree is "encouraged" ? wow ! hold your horses, stop the presses, tree has caught a glimpse of something positive after all those yrs !

Quote:
and Oleg and Luthier are certainly responding to some of the feedback
you'r a bit slow tree, oleg has been interacting with his fanbase for yrs, and yes "responding " to questions and comments to, did you spot something new worth mentioning the rest of us have missed in the last 10 yrs ? do let us know will ya, it would be fascinating !

Quote:
so Im certain the finished product will be fantastic
what profound insight you have, well worth reading these forums all these yrs to have a wheighted ballance and informed opinion from you on something new and worthwhile, you'r a real gem !

Quote:
well worth the wait.
yes tree, well worth the wait, just not worth all the whining from you in the process

Last edited by zapatista; 08-21-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highness View Post
hi all,

I was surveying / following up discussions on this board for a while now. And, as many of you, il-2 sturmovik fans, i just can't wait for this new sequel to be up and released!
hiya highness, welcome to the il2 boards

Quote:
But, i just got a bit confused,...

what will be the official / final name of the sim?

"Storm Of War" ? "Battle of Britain" ?? "il-2 Battle Of Britain" ???
"storm of war " at the moment is intended to be the name of the series, "BoB" will be the first released scenario on tat new game engine. a slightly unconventional name perhaps, but it is translated from the russian iirc, and does have a ring to it in english to. i suspect it still might change before final release, but unlikely imho

Quote:
and, since we seem to be "so close" to the announced / estimated date of release, some questions are bothering me, such as:

why there is still no official dedicated main web-site for this sim????
they are indeed being a bit slack with that, but after a few starts and stops with intended release times it doesnt seem to be a major priority with them, which is in a way not a bad change from all the bland fluffy marketing we get from western companies, right at the moment oleg and co seem mainly focusing on finishing the project itself (and the website is made by the marketing department of the distributors, not oleg himself or his crew).
Quote:
where is the PC-DVD "artwork" box cover?
several versions have already been posted in previous yrs, cant remember a specific url, but i have seen them. just be aware that might not actually be the final product and artwork can still change.

Quote:
why none of the popular websites such as gamespot.com, simhq.com, combatsim.com, avsim.com and many others are not referencing it and even they have never ever heard about this highly anticipated combat flightsim ?
the main aviation combat sim websites, like simhq, have had repeated info posts in their forums on it, and even some regular annual update articles on the project to. more general aviation websites are a different genre, and sites catering for ms-flightsim cater for a different crowd then combat aviation sims, hence you wont see it there. several pc aviation magazines and international flightsim oriented websites have had information on it in previous yrs to, some even by exclusive interviews with oleg and selected screenshots etc..

largely however the combat flightsim hobby world is a rather small one and for most people interested in the genre the upcoming release of the sequel to il2 sturmovik has been a long awaited next step, so most have been aware of it all along (and some like tree here have gone loopy in the process of waiting)

Quote:
is it going to be available to purchase online through STEAM?
we dont know that, time will tell

Quote:
anyways, thank you very much, keep up the great work, and i hope to see it released as soon as possible!
yeps, we'r all here hoping it will be soon. going by updates in the last few months it cant be long now. if you havnt seen it yet, look for a poster in this forum called 'foobar", his german website has a list of all the update screenshots provided by oleg in the last 12 months (as well as some of his own creations he is contributing for this sim), it gives an amazing peak at what is to come soon to a store near you
Old 08-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Tree_UK

lol more nonsonse from the Know it all twat that is Zapatista, you can calm down now buddy and give your tongue a rest I'm certain your beta copy is safe, now try and get back some dignity before release, im guessing you've got about a yr, so not too long. No offence of course.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
l im guessing you've got about a yr, so not too long. .
still stuck in that moronic monotonic banter, what a surprise

say here old chum, given all your character flaws you so proudly put on display here, how about you put your money where your mouth is ? you know, kinda talk the talk, walk the walk and all that !

you say about a year, i say under that ! so lets make this interesting and wager the price of the game itself at release time (21e august 2011 the demarcation line)

lets just watch tree slithering and sliding and backtracking now, ya spineless wuss !!
Old 08-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Tree_UK

I already offered you a short eating bet, i will eat your grubby shorts if its released this year, will you eat mine if not? You never got back to me.... as you have seen in my many posts I beleive that SOW will be released around March next year something you have constantly disagreed with, if you care to change your bet beginning of march next year then your on.

Last edited by Tree_UK; 08-21-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Approved Member

In case you lose the bet, I'll help you with the disposal of the underwear.
Closed Thread