Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for posting those FlyingPencil. I have seen your videos before and actually had them in mind when I posted that comment. Though, I guess I should have said "gimble" instead of "ball bearing".
Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novotny View Post
Oh, is that your good self, Mr Pencil? I've watched those vids before - thanks for making them
Yes it is,
Your welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBlaster View Post
Thanks for posting those FlyingPencil. I have seen your videos before and actually had them in mind when I posted that comment. Though, I guess I should have said "gimble" instead of "ball bearing".
Thanks.

I was amazed by how much detail the books missed.
You can find bits and pieces, but have yet to find a really good book on these things.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winny View Post
The British electric turrets had a traverse speed (left to right, 180 degrees) of about 4 seconds so it should be laggy with a mouse. I got this info from a contemporary report made by the Germans on a captured Blenheim.

I've also seen a figure of 35 degrees a second, either way not exactly fast.

For comparison : The ball turret on a B-17 could only do 30 degrees a second, nose turret could do 40 degrees a second.
From 45* to 30* a second, still fast enough to turn to EA.
I seen film of B-17 top TG go much faster, but not sure if it was on "High Speed" setting.

But all the German bombers had hand held/moved guns, which could go much faster.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
There were no Auto Guns in the BoB era. The auto guns in that link were never actually used. It says the project was cancelled in 1944.

If CoD is going for realism then you would have to point your mouse at where you want to shoot and wait for the turret to catch you up.
What do you mean by "Auto Guns"??

A lot of Remote Controlled and Computerized Control guns did exist and was used by all sides. Even Radar Ranging equipment was installed on B-29's and used before end of WW2.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Approved Member

I was refering to the link posted and specifically during The BoB.

The link was to small automatic electric MG turrets that never made it past testing. Fitted to a shackleton (so that gives you some idea of the date!) Computer cotrolled.. I think. I know they had them later. I wasn't aware of anything like that being around in 1940.

And when I said 'not exactly fast' I was comparing it to pointing and clicking with a mouse, not compared to other turrets. It gets confusing when you mix reality and sim

Something of interest I found out when looking at Aerial guns/gunners. USAF Aerial Gunners (in most cases) weren't credited for kills individually, the kill went to the Group. So even if you shot down 5 you'd never get Ace status. There's a list somewhere of the top Aerial Gunners in WWII. 17 kills is the highest I've seen. Most seemed to get 4 or 5.
Can't have been easy.

Last edited by winny; 02-07-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I was refering to the link posted and specifically during The BoB.

The link was to small automatic electric MG turrets that never made it past testing. Fitted to a shackleton (so that gives you some idea of the date!) Computer cotrolled.. I think. I know they had them later. I wasn't aware of anything like that being around in 1940.

And when I said 'not exactly fast' I was comparing it to pointing and clicking with a mouse, not compared to other turrets. It gets confusing when you mix reality and sim

Something of interest I found out when looking at Aerial guns/gunners. USAF Aerial Gunners (in most cases) weren't credited for kills individually, the kill went to the Group. So even if you shot down 5 you'd never get Ace status. There's a list somewhere of the top Aerial Gunners in WWII. 17 kills is the highest I've seen. Most seemed to get 4 or 5.
Can't have been easy.
Yes, I looked at the site. What it proposed already existed on B-29's.

I think the correct term is "Compensating" targeting sights, and I am pretty sure (not positive) the Americans had them first (and sold to UK), not sure when it started (I would guess 1940, but not in service till 1942??).
Not sure if Germans developed something like that, but they did have remote controlled guns.

It was an analogue computer, and was surprisingly complex and accurate, as long as the gunner knew exactly the range, the target was hit.

Not easy at all, but not by todays standards (sims give us hours of practice). Still, those TG's caused damage to attacking fighters no matter what side.

Last edited by Flying Pencil; 02-07-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Approved Member

What would be interesting is an appraisal/comparison of IL2 1946 gunner positions with the information you have from the He111 videos.

Its a rare chance to get "actual" data to input for the sim.

IIRC you did do something along those line before on one of the gunner stations.

The only He111 I have been in had no armaments at all being a late Casa version
Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pencil View Post
In BoB era, all LW aircraft was manual, and the RAF the only powered one I can recall is the Blen's (Wellington with powered was just being installed at that moment.

Some vids of 111 gun positions (top gun being worked on, when I get time...)

Ahh, Brings back memories! The He-111 is the only German WW2 aircraft I've ever sat my foot in