Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Approved Member

Default The new patch will cost Nvidia and AMD sales :)

Hi!

After the patch today the performance has bumped again for me and the performace now is really as good as I think my rig deserves!

With these settings:

I get 30+ fps most times, look at the video below taken a few minutes ago (look at the avg fps and max, and that is the bomber intercept over London quick mission that was COMPLETELY unplayable with the release version). A rather fun show of the damage modelling too! Tried to go below the He111 but felt something touched and felt that "something is seriously broken!". Look at the fin, amazing DM!

The problem with this is that the GTX580 I was about to order at the end of this month feels overkill

My rig:

Core 2 Duo E8400@3.3
GTX275
6GB DDR2
Windows 7 x64
Old 04-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Approved Member

Good to hear man, I am getting the same kind of gains from the latest patch. Can only get better from here, and here is a decent place to be.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Approved Member

Another good post. We need them to overcome some of the negativity on these forums. You could almost be forgiven for thinking there are "competitors" lurking on these boards, spreading FUD (fear, uncertainty,doubt).
Old 04-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Approved Member

The problem at the moment for me is low fps, I hope this is sorted in the next patch like we expect.

But what is starting to spread doubt in my mind atm is that when i disable my cpu overclock the game runs like it did in day 1!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
But what is starting to spread doubt in my mind atm is that when i disable my cpu overclock the game runs like it did in day 1!!!
That makes me wonder. When I disabled my GPU overclock before, it degraded performance quite a lot if I remember, even theough the overclock is not very large (from 750MHz/900MHz to 780/1040MHz). Either the game is very sensitive to clock speeds, or due to pseudo-fullscreen, graphics cards are not up-clocking (from standby to standard clock speeds) unless overclocked.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Approved Member

I think it's going to have exactly the opposite effect.

With the new patch the improvements in frame rate and quality have show it's worth going through upgrade process.

I've actually been holding off any major upgrades untill I could see that it was going to have an effect.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to play any missions, (getting redy to go to work as I type) but I did get to run through the Black Death track. I'm not sure about top framerates but on my rig it plays smoother than the Black Death track in '46

And the detail! WoW! the gound level explosion are awsome! Damage decals! How about the rounds getting removed from the bofors gun magazine is it fires!

There is still away to go (levitating wingless Hurricanes and that annoying clipping when the camera gets too close to the Beaufort and you can see inside the wing - one of my big gripes with ROF) but I'm definately in for the ride!

Did I say this patch is Great!

Cheers!
Old 04-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Approved Member

About the negativity, you need to remember that as initially released this was a mess... but in 2 weeks it has made massive strides. I think that at this point most people are in good shape in terms of being able to play.. But some people are not.. Some of them has old systems and don't seem to have any idea of what this type of game demands..others have need systems and it still won't work while it works great for people with the same gear.. thats really frustrating...

The biggest thing to remember is that people that are not having any show stopper problems are not likely to post here..you hear repeatedly from the people having issues.not the people spending their time playing the game
XFX 6970 Video Card
Win7 64 Bit Home Ed
ATI 12.3 Driver Package
WD Caviar 7600 RPM HDD
ATI CCC at DEFAULT settings
Old 04-19-2011, 01:13 AM
Approved Member

Default 120hz?

Your screen shot shows your rez using 120hz? I have looked through my settings and only see options for 60hz, are you setting something in the config file to get that working ?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post
Your screen shot shows your rez using 120hz? I have looked through my settings and only see options for 60hz, are you setting something in the config file to get that working ?
Pretty sure that is regulated by your monitor. On a side note, AA is working!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehawk View Post
Ok, I'm on a crap system (q6600 with 3gb DDR2) and an older video card (9800GT w/1GB). I can run it smooth at 1280x1024 (guess I got used to that res from 1946 and having the need to spot e/a early). With only around $250 to spend, will I get enough out of say a GTX 460 w/1 GB, or should I just up my RAM to 6GB, and wait til I can drop enough for one of the top of the line cards ~$450.00-$550.00?
It seems that any type of a high end card you can get is important. The RAM that is used extensively is not onbard system memory but GPU memory. IMO if one`s getting a video card built for CoD, he should get the one with close to 2GB video memory