Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
Sadly it has nothing to do with safety but is all to do with making money, you do realise comercial pilots are taken into the simulator just twice a year, and for some it's the only time they even come close to manual flying and even then not all emergencys are practiced, this is all about saving money for the airlines, unlike the military who get continuous training.
No........ real safety will come from properly trained pilots who are well practiced, but because humans are slightly less efficient than computers and burn slighly more fuel (seriously) the airlines discourage hand flying.
Of course its do with safety, the money side of things is pretty much what is expected when you design a system based on what a airliner requires...

But aren't you seriously over generalizing a bit on the training... sure some airliners don't train nearly of often as they probably should but the "top" airlines have a good record for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
Of course its do with safety, pretty much what is expected when you design a system based on what a airliner requires...

But aren't you seriously over generalizing a bit on the training... sure some airliners don't train nearly of often as they probably should but the "top" airlines have a good record for a reason.
I just happen to work in the industry....what do I know

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 05-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I just happen to work in the industry....what do I know
As do I, so what do I know...

Quote:
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
Old 05-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
As do I, so what do I know...
well for a start you know what a crock of **** the whole industry is, I hate it with a passion now and am changing career.......lap dancing perhaps

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition

Last edited by JG52Uther; 05-04-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
well for a start you know what a crock of **** the whole industry is, I hate it with a passion now and am changing career.......lap dancing perhaps
Unfortunately I work on the engineering side of things rather than the pilots (where I wanted/wish to be) side

Quote:

Last edited by JG52Uther; 05-04-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Unfortunately I work on the engineering side of things rather than the pilots (where I wanted/wish to be) side
Lucky, they will always need engineers to reboot the bloody things, sadly if you want to sit at the front looking all important then days are numbered.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Lucky, they will always need engineers to reboot the bloody things, sadly if you want to sit at the front looking all important then days are numbered.
I actually had a discussion/argument with a fellow engineer in the office about this a few weeks back, he is all for the removal of a pilot while I still see it as a required position... even if the pilot is technically not doing that much.

Pilot less passenger aircraft are still a long way a way IMHO.

Luckily people are still wary of computer controlled vehicles and airliners won't want to go for something passengers are wary of, not yet at least.

Quote:

Last edited by JG52Krupi; 05-04-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I actually had a discussion/argument with a fellow engineer in the office about this a few weeks back, he is all for the removal of a pilot while I still see it as a required position... even if the pilot is technically not doing that much.

Pilot less passenger aircraft are still a long way a way IMHO.

Luckily people are still wary of computer controlled vehicles and airliners won't want to go for something passengers are wary of, not yet at least.
Don't be so sure, all they have to do is convince the public that all accidents are pilot error (growing trend) and bingo nobody will want pilots.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Approved Member

Future aircraft will be crewed by a pilot and a doberman. The pilot will be there in case there are problems with the automated flight systems. The dog will be there to bite him if he tries to touch anything.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Approved Member

Shipping and trains are quickly headed that way. Google recenly created a driverless car in which a blind person sat in the drivers seat. BMW is already on top of this as well. See it in youtube.