Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:11 PM
Approved Member

Default Ten years ago today, Feb. 12th 2008...

IL2 was at it's peak in popularity.

These are screenshots of Spits_vs_109s server pages the morning of February 12th 2008. This is about the day that this server would reset it's stat-pages, which it did every month and they would start over from zero for everyone.

Notice how there were 1662 virtual pilots registered in the previous month. This means that besides the server regulars who would all be signed up very quickly, that on average over 50 new players joined it every day that month that had not been on it before! This was a busy server....

It was busy because everyone in the community at this time were all flying one version of IL2, the official patch, so it was very easy for everyone to get together and it was very easy for new pilots to figure out what to do and what version of IL2 to fly online.

By sheer coincidence I looked at these today and noticed the date I had saved them was the same as today but ten years later, so I thought it was worthy post, and maybe someone can look at it and reminisce and even see themselves on this old server list which I luckily saved as a complete web-page to a file that morning.

The Teamspeak window is shown more than once on the left of the photos because I had to piece them together as they were too big to be grabbed on my small monitor all at once....!

Last edited by Jumoschwanz; 10-02-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:03 PM
Approved Member

Those were the days. I recall how difficult it was to find available slot in the most popular servers.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:07 PM
Approved Member

I see a couple of my BlitzPig mates on that list, JimmyGiro and BlitzPig_Raven.

I'd be further down the list, but I had a ton of hours on the server too.

I miss those days a lot.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 02-16-2018, 11:21 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for chiming in guys. I wish I would have saved more artifacts from back then, but we were all busy having fun we thought would never end.

ElAurens I certainly remember you guys from back then. It was Blitzpig EL right?

I have no tracks of GreaterGreen which was one of the all-time great hard-settings servers, none of Aviar's dogfight server which was also hard-settings.

I lost a hard-drive years ago along with much stuff. My fault because I had them set up as raid-0, two IDE WD-Raptor 10,000 rpm drives, and when one of the pair burned out that was the end of that....LOL.

S!
Old 02-17-2018, 01:19 PM
Approved Member

Yeah, and I still wear the tag, as do most of the Pigs, even though we don't fly much at all anymore.

We dabble with the new "Battle of" series a bit, and a couple of us still have '46 installed and will fly it once in a while.

It's a pity that the flight sim world, as far as WW2 goes, is such a bloody shambles. We lived through the golden age of the genre, when IL2 was a benchmark in the whole world of PC gaming.

I still have a few screens from the old days...

Me, dueling with an F4F...

BlitzPig_Raven (background) and myself heading home after a ground attack mission...

And, the BlitzPigs on the Kuban. And yeah that's really us.

I'm third from the left in the front row.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumoschwanz View Post
T

I have no tracks of GreaterGreen which was one of the all-time great hard-settings servers, none of Aviar's dogfight server which was also hard-settings.

S!
I still keep GreaterGreen in my "flightsim" bookmarks. Just for the memory.
There were two of them in later period. One with external views which allowed to fly "nonflyables". Great fun.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
We lived through the golden age of the genre, when IL2 was a benchmark in the whole world of PC gaming.
I agree.

I have at least one track from Spits_vs_109s from 2005 where Lixma is flying around in a 109g2 shooting people down in a fairly relaxed fashion. I will make it into a video and put it up when I get a chance.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:08 PM
Approved Member

I'd love to see that.

He would also do that with the P40 when it first came out. Circle at very high altitude where no 109 pilot would expect him and shoot them down with impunity.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
I'd love to see that.

Try this link. Hilariously because I am still running windows XP I can not watch this video on YouTube except for in 360p resolution even though I put it up.... Let me know if you can see it in high-def.

S!

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 02-21-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:44 AM
Approved Member