Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Default installation help

Hello All,

I do not know if my situation is common but I will explain what I have done and maybe someone can give me more advise.

1. I have an older game original disk. I am not sure which version.

2. Here is what I see when I install. I have tried the auto install and when I start the install i get message as normal (preparing to install) and after that I see no install progress no install path requests but after about 4 or 5 min. I get the direct X install and I click to install it. That part seems to install ok. after that I get the usual prompts that come after Direct X and the game has the box that has the menu that allows me to start the game. When I start the game I get the error message that says IL2 has stopped working.

3. I have also tried other tips from the forums like installing using a. in the game directory ( still did not work ) I also tried to install via 1033 folder ( did not work )

4. Since I know the game is a 32bit game and it automatically installs in the x86 part of the drive I think that may be the issue but I am not sure how to install to the 32bit folders as I never see an option to choose the directory. I always have created a folder and copied and pasted to the 32bit directory.

Thanks for reading and Thanks for any help

Sturm
Old 06-10-2017, 05:43 PM
Approved Member

J5 Sturm
Don't know if you were successful, I notice your post is a few months old, but the game is designed to look for DirectX 9. You obviously must have a newer OS and the game didn't find DirectX 9 and stopped installing. Probably right around 21%. I purchased a version (4.13.3 and 4.13.4) from GOG Games that went around that issue. (I have Windows 10 with DirectX 12) I also noticed the game no longer used OpenGL since Windows 10 doesn't recognize OpenGL and I've even found a fix for that issue as well. I downloaded a version of DirectX 9 from Microsoft and installed into a DirectX 9 folder and then another program from Microsoft that installed parts of DirectX 9 into DirectX 12. Fortunately, I still had version 4.12.2 that used OpenGL on my older hard drive and copied it over and upgraded from that back up to 4.13.4. Now I have all versions installed and using OpenGL on Windows 10.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah_Weed View Post
J5 Sturm
Don't know if you were successful, I notice your post is a few months old, but the game is designed to look for DirectX 9. You obviously must have a newer OS and the game didn't find DirectX 9 and stopped installing. Probably right around 21%. I purchased a version (4.13.3 and 4.13.4) from GOG Games that went around that issue. (I have Windows 10 with DirectX 12) I also noticed the game no longer used OpenGL since Windows 10 doesn't recognize OpenGL and I've even found a fix for that issue as well. I downloaded a version of DirectX 9 from Microsoft and installed into a DirectX 9 folder and then another program from Microsoft that installed parts of DirectX 9 into DirectX 12. Fortunately, I still had version 4.12.2 that used OpenGL on my older hard drive and copied it over and upgraded from that back up to 4.13.4. Now I have all versions installed and using OpenGL on Windows 10.
Funny way to do things...
Old 06-11-2017, 07:37 PM
Approved Member

RPS69
Am I correct in assuming you have a better or faster way to get IL-2 1946 installed on a Windows 10 system that would use OpenGL? Would you care to expand and elaborate a bit? I'm certain other players would love to hear it.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Approved Member

The video driver contains the open gl information.

ATI have been known to be problematic

NVIDIA are straight forward ogl driver installation
Old 06-12-2017, 09:54 PM
Approved Member

KG26 Alpha
"The video driver contains the open gl information."
"NVIDIA are straight forward ogl driver installation "

That was the whole issue with why I downloaded DirectX 9. Windows 10 (DirectX 12) DOES NOT use or recognize OpenGL--even though that's what graphics cards use.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
KG26 Alpha
"The video driver contains the open gl information."
"NVIDIA are straight forward ogl driver installation "

That was the whole issue with why I downloaded DirectX 9. Windows 10 (DirectX 12) DOES NOT use or recognize OpenGL--even though that's what graphics cards use.
Windows has nothing to do with Open GL, the video driver does though.

Install the correct video driver for the operating system and graphics card from the manufacturer,
then ensure IL2 1946 is set up for OGL rendering, and the graphics card gui settings are correct.

Win 10 supports OGL perfectly well.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:56 PM
Approved Member

KG26 Alpha
I know you're probably only trying to help, but we seem to be having a communications problem. LOL If you read my very first post, you'll find I am having NO problems with the game, with Windows 10 or with OpenGL. All errors have been resolved. I build computers as a hobby and program in several different languages, including Java. I'm what you'd call computer literate.

As for Windows 10, it seems to have issues with OpenGL. Most forums on the issue call it an "error." Call it what you want but after I finished installing Win 10, installed the graphics drivers from Nvidia for my video card and then installed IL-2, IL-2 would not use OpenGL. You could switch to it in video settings, but the rendering was unusable. It appeared to be a series of intersecting planes. DirectX was usable but looked odd.

My system is on the bleeding edge of technology--i7-7700K, Strix z270e mobo, GTX 1080, etc, etc, and yet wouldn't recognize OpenGL. Again, Microsoft calls the issue an "error" with Windows 10.

Downloading DirectX 9 and installing it in a side folder and then installing portions of it into the DirectX 12 installation solved the issue. The game (IL-2) once again was able to use OpenGL. And yes, I'm well aware that OpenGL is the programming interface (API) for graphics cards.

Again, I don't need help. Everything on my end is working perfectly. I merely mentioned it should the person who started the thread (J5_Sturm) run into similar issues, that was the fix I employed to solve them. However, it's probably not the only fix and I would imagine that some people with Win 10 have no issues at all.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:39 PM
Approved Member

Seems the problem is all yours then with IL2 1946,
as I don't know anyone that has OGL issues in Win 10
and IL2.

Quote:
J5 Sturm
Don't know if you were successful, I notice your post is a few months old, but the game is designed to look for DirectX 9.
You obviously must have a newer OS and the game didn't find DirectX 9 and stopped installing. Probably right around 21%.
I purchased a version (4.13.3 and 4.13.4) from GOG Games that went around that issue. (I have Windows 10 with DirectX 12)
I also noticed the game no longer used OpenGL since Windows 10 doesn't recognize OpenGL and I've even found a fix for that issue as well.
I downloaded a version of DirectX 9 from Microsoft and installed into a DirectX 9 folder and then another program from Microsoft that installed parts of DirectX 9 into DirectX 12.
Fortunately, I still had version 4.12.2 that used OpenGL on my older hard drive and copied it over and upgraded from that back up to 4.13.4.
Now I have all versions installed and using OpenGL on Windows 10.
I will leave this post here for a day or two then remove all the posts unrelated to the OP's question to save confusion.

BTW I work with front to back end crap PC's so I appreciate you have a knowledge base there regarding the problem you had.

IL2 1946 can hang on DX9 installation but there's an option to install it during the process as it's in on the DVD
and should be in Steam and other DLC sites IL2 1946 installation files.

I fly with over 50 pilots across 4 different squadrons, 75% have Win 10 and apart from USB port time out fixes, no ones reported problems with OGL or Dx

Here's a DVD image of the installation files including Dx9c
Attached Images
File Type: jpg il2 dvd.JPG (28.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 06-14-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:18 AM
Approved Member

KG26 Alpha
Actually, you can delete them all (including this one). I won't be upset or feel slighted. I may re-post, leaving out reference to OpenGL. It seems to have caused some confusion. I do know I can post a thousand links to a thousand forums where people with Win 10 have had the same issue. I suspect I know why some of them happen but that's another story. As for the DX9 on my game disc, I knew it was there but decided just to download it directly from Microsoft. Thanks for your help.