Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:18 PM
Approved Member

Default correct control panel guage locations;missing working fuel guages

I was just comparing the existing in game P-40 Control Panel to the real P-40 control panel found in the Pilot Operating Instructions manual. I was shocked to see how many gauges are in the wrong location in the in game P-40.

Only the Air Speed Indicator, Climb rate indicator and the Manifold Air Pressure Gauges are in the correct locations in the game. The Coolant temperature gauge is real close as well.

The location of the following gauges should be:

Fuselage fuel gauge does not exist in the game and this should be to the left of the air speed indicator. Currently the Turn & Bank indicator (needle and ball) is to the left of the air speed indicator.

Altitude Gauge should be underneath the air speed indicator. Currently the RPM indicator(tachometer) is under the speed indicator.

Turn and Bank indicator (needle and ball) should be to the right of the air speed indicator. Currently the Altitude Gauge is to the right of the speed indicator.

The RPM indicator (tachometer) should be underneath the Manifold Pressure Gage. Currently the Oil Pressure Gage (this gauge does not exist in the real plane) is located underneath the Manifold Pressure Gage.

The Coolant Temperature Gage should be to the right of the Manifold Pressure Gage.

A combination gauge unit (oil temperature; oil pressure; fuel pressure) located underneath the Coolant Temperature Gauge was a combination gauge unit with three indicators/scales behind one round glass: oil temperature on top; oil pressure on the left; fuel pressure on the right.

Curtis laid out the gauges in a logical manner that would make sense to the pilot and make his workload a bit easier. The game placed these gauges all over the place instead of grouping the gauges as the real plane had them. So as an example instead of looking in one general location for your power plant parameters you are looking back and forth to find them. I have no idea how difficult it would be to relocate the gauges to their proper locations on the panel.

Also these two planes have no working fuel gauges, there is the Reserve Fuel Tank gauge, next to the right rudder pedal, but it doesn't work. The only fuel indication instrument is the "idiot" light that comes on when you are about out of fuel.

There are supposed to be three fuel gauges in the P-40E & M. The fuselage fuel tank of 62.5 gallons which is located behind the pilot had a remote gauge on the control panel (location in above paragraphs); Reserve Fuel Tank of 35 gallons had a direct read gauge on the floor/deck next to the right rudder pedal directgly on top of the tank; Main Fuel Tank 50.5 gallons had a direct read gauge to the left and aft of the control stick directly on top of the tank.

Any chance that this ever gets addressed? It has been this way since the release of version 4.07. I have no idea how difficult this would be to add the working fuel gauges and rearranging the gauges to their correct positions.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:42 PM
What the heck...?

It's been an issue for many years now. Valid concerns but they've been discussed ad nauseum since the old Ubiforum days. If it hasn't been fixed by now it's doubtful it ever will. Long since learned to live with it.

One of my favorite gauge issues: The "Coolant" gauge in the F6F Hellcat.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -)-MAILMAN- View Post
Also these two planes have no working fuel gauges, there is the Reserve Fuel Tank gauge, next to the right rudder pedal, but it doesn't work.
The only fuel indication instrument is the "idiot" light that comes on when you are about out of fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop64 View Post
It's been an issue for many years now.
Valid concerns but they've been discussed ad nauseum since the old Ubiforum days.
If it hasn't been fixed by now it's doubtful it ever will. Long since learned to live with it.

2 weeks ............ be sure.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 10-13-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:27 AM
Approved Member

I posted on here about it several years ago and thought my periodic post about it might resonate some day

At the moment I am using a mod that was created that gives me a working fuselage tank gauge on the control panel and a working reserve tank gauge by the right rudder pedal. The main wing tank gauge is being worked on.

Coolant gauge in the F6F has always been an eye roller for sure. The five gauges at the bottom right should be:

Cylinder Head Temperature gauge on top
Oil in Temperature Gauge beneath the Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge
Oil Pressure Gauge to the right of the Cylinder Head Gauge and right of Oil in Temperature Gauge.
Fuel Pressure Gauge under the Oil In Gauge.
Fuel Quantity Gauges (3 in one unit) to the right of the Fuel Pressure Gauge.