Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 10-10-2020, 05:59 AM
Approved Member

Default "Out There" Inquiry: Linux Support in the Future?

Friends,

I have an extremely random, way out-there question (which I repeat from the thread title): Is there the slightest possibility that, at some point in the future, there might be a native Linux port of Il-2 1946? I've since switched to Linux, and I think it would be really amazing if '1946 would run on the platform without having to resort to emulation routines or the like.

...It's an out-there question, but hey, why not ask?
Old 10-12-2020, 02:02 PM
Approved Member

Would be very cool an I will drop Windows immediately then😁
I only have a dedicated server running on Ubuntu.
The game client still running on Windows 10.🤔

But i guess, this will be “a keep on dreaming” situation.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:23 PM
Approved Member

It's nice to know there are at least other parties interested in this possibility, despite how "out-there" it may be.

...I think it's worth keeping in mind matters of market share. If there's only a few "games in town" for a particular OS, you've got THE market share.

No conversion like this is easy, though. I presume Il-2 works off of DirectX; Going to Linux would require re-working the graphics engine to OpenGL or Vulkan/Metal, or whatever they call it now. On the bright side, that's also what is used on a Mac, so if there was a Linux port, you could probably also work in a Mac port as well with much less difficulty.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:50 PM
Approved Member

I can't speak for Daidalos regarding Linux porting, but I know that IL-2: 1946 is optimized for Open GL.

Are you aware of the Linux subforum at Mission4Today? There may be some tips in there that make things easier for you. Link below:

https://www.mission4today.com/index....viewforum&f=57
Old 10-14-2020, 09:26 AM
Approved Member

Hi,

Yes i am aware of Wine an tried many times.
I think it is a good project too. But my experience is performance loss and some hell of configurations, which let me stay on Windows for gaming so far.
My server is running on Ubuntu and Wine though.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:24 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the heads-up on Mission4Today. I've not managed to convince myself to dip my toes in WINE yet, but that may happen at some point. And again, it's cool to know there is some form of interest in this matter. At least a chap can dream!

...Also great to know that Il-2 is already set up for OGL. If I could pump one last item - if there is ever somehow any concern that interest in the sim is dropping off, opening up the doors for Linux would stave that off for sure!
Old 12-03-2020, 05:23 PM
Approved Member

Note that it seems the 4.14.1 installer doesn't work under Wine because Wine bundles an implementation of WinPCap.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:54 PM
Approved Member

I have run IL246 with wine no problem years ago, so anyone should be able to figure it out with a bit of independent and critical thought.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:36 PM
Approved Member

Hey Jumoschwanz,

It's good to know it seems to work reasonably well. However, is it wrong, per-se, to inquire about the possibility of the software being made to natively run on Linux?
Old 10-22-2021, 06:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaeris View Post
Hey Jumoschwanz,

It's good to know it seems to work reasonably well. However, is it wrong, per-se, to inquire about the possibility of the software being made to natively run on Linux?
Sorry for thread necro...

Short answer is it's very unlikely: the Java code is relatively easy to port, but a lot of the game's code is already compiled code from an elderly non-free Microsoft compiler (mixture of MSVC++ 6 and 7 I think).

I don't think that even DT have access to the original source code for that stuff.
That's why the DT patches add a new DT.dll instead of replacing the original .dlls.

Porting the game would mean reproducing all of the original code, without having the original source code, at the same time as porting it to a new platform.

Not impossible: see e.g. OpenMW where some dedicated individuals have reverse engineered and reimplemented the entire Morrowind game engine in modern cross-platform C++, but it would require a lot more development effort than most in the community are prepared or able to offer.