Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Star Wolves

Star Wolves 3D space RPG with deep strategy and tactical elements

Old 05-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Approved Member

Exclamation Star Wolves 3: Ashes of Victory in Development

1C Company and Elite Games Team are glad to announce the development of Star Wolves 3: Ashes of Victory, a stand-alone expansion for the third game in the Star Wolves saga.

This original large-scale scenario, closely tied with the first part of the intergalactic epic, allows players to influence the ongoing events and experience multiple endings. Free roaming, free mission selection, free team forming – the world of Star Wolves waits for its heroes. The game is scheduled for release in Q4 2010.

Last edited by Nike-it; 05-06-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Approved Member

I am curious as to what they plan on adding to the sequel. Alongside the stuff that was removed from SW2 like randomly-generated missions, I would like to see support for more pilots into the game. Being stuck with a six pilot cap makes it feel like I am heavily undermanned most of the game, especially since you are stuck with 2-4 pilots for most of the game.

Also, having reasons to actually assign pilots to the mothership would be good too, at the moment assigning them to the mothership is a waste because they cannot use their special abilities, and usually means you have one less fighter in space, not a good thing.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Approved Member

What should be done:

1. Removing six pilot cap should be a priority for new expansion.
2. Large scale battles - possibility of having more than one mothership and assigning your pilots to them.
3. Motherships having drone bays (like Eve Online) for self defense.
4. Random missions. More types of random missions. Very hard missions with good rewards like unique ships or weapons.
5. Upgrade of graphic engine - make use of more than one texture (like bump map or displacement map textures).
6. Possibility of changing mothership and other ships paintings (like Dawn of War).
7. Trade system for earning money.
8. Possibility of supporting chosen faction - conquerable structures and sectors.
9. Buyable and deployable stationary defense systems - turrets, missile lunchers.
10. Modular ships designs - highly customizable ships (diffrent engines, hulls, armors, shield generators). These mere 4-5 systems slots are not enough.

I'll be happy If anything from this list will be included in expansion. If you want more ideas - check Eve Online. It has tons of interesting features. I don't mean copying - just creative development .

P.S. What about english version of the expansion - will it be released the same time as russian or several moths later?

Last edited by Goblin Wizard; 05-06-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Approved Member

I don't think devs read this forum
Old 05-07-2010, 05:35 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastix View Post
Actually, they do.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaksie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastix View Post
Actually, they do.
Wooow!!! Voice from the heaven. I feel blessed now
Thanks man. Good to know that someone from "The High Council" reads your posts.

btw 1.12 patch for SW3:CW was mentioned earlier. Are you still working on it or you gave up on this idea?

Last edited by Goblin Wizard; 05-07-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin Wizard View Post

P.S. What about english version of the expansion - will it be released the same time as russian or several moths later?
Most likely both versions will be released simultaneously.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Trucidation

Nice points raised.

1. Removal of pilot cap. Well, not too big a deal for me because I treated it as a limitation challenge of the storyline, but yes I can see where you guys are coming from: it would be nice to not fly with only half a crew for most of the game.

2. Large scale battles. My only problem is the graphics engine. For most of the time it's fine. But when there's a map with fog particles the framerate just dies. I know I'm playing on an older machine (I sneak my laptop to work), but it handles the rest of the game just fine, so the drop in framerate shouldn't be THAT bad.

3. Random missions. I didn't play SW2 as I heard it was bugged to hell (sorry 1C, but after decades of buying unfinished games I refuse to be a beta test guinea pig anymore). A working random mission board would be nice. Especially if the missions are actually varied, and not simply different ways of saying "kill X for $Y dollars".

4. More mothership freedom. We can buy fighters, so why not motherships? Expensive as hell, by all means. But don't force us to depend on storyline trigger changes. That's unfun, bro.

5. Modular ship design. I agree with Goblin Wizard, the current system is nice but not enough. Ya I know it's easy to force players to choose whether to boost engines or firing rate in that one system slot, but the problem is there aren't enough ship designs to make this viable. Let's face it, everyone flies around in Gunslinger Ts or something at the endgame. The ships are pretty much a "big, bigger, biggest" kind of deal. Let's make them more varied and useful.

-
I'm not too hot on the trade / other structures thing. I mean, yeah, those would be absolutely awesome, but they're quite large addition to enter into the game as it is. The other additions however can be made rather painlessly.

Hell, allow us to slap custom textures on our motherships and fighters (maintenance station "paint job" option), that alone would be fun while only incurring minimal effort on the dev's part (just check that the texture the player selects meets certain size and format criteria). Let's see how badass the pirates feel while getting shot out space by someone flying a neon pink ship, rofl.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Approved Member

Which brings me to another thing: Game Over screens suck. We should be able to play around and wander around the universe after beating the final mission.

Quote:
3. Random missions. I didn't play SW2 as I heard it was bugged to hell (sorry 1C, but after decades of buying unfinished games I refuse to be a beta test guinea pig anymore). A working random mission board would be nice. Especially if the missions are actually varied, and not simply different ways of saying "kill X for $Y dollars".
Thats pretty much what the SW2 mission board amounted to, although there were some delivery missions and such too. The fact we are begging even for a return to THAT functionality shows how little there actually is to do in the game.

Quote:
5. Modular ship design. I agree with Goblin Wizard, the current system is nice but not enough. Ya I know it's easy to force players to choose whether to boost engines or firing rate in that one system slot, but the problem is there aren't enough ship designs to make this viable. Let's face it, everyone flies around in Gunslinger Ts or something at the endgame. The ships are pretty much a "big, bigger, biggest" kind of deal. Let's make them more varied and useful.
This is more an issue with the fact the Templar ships are massively overpowered. Why get a Dragon when a Gunslinger T has all that and an additional system slot to boot. The Templars are the only ones with fifth generation missile ships (Hrimthurs T) and fifth generation support ships (Trident T)...

Which brings me to another thing: Support ships are massively underpowered. Rather than having one Trident T that can only repair one ship in the fleet (and not itself, nope) for 10 HP/sec, and cannot even engage enemy ships while it is repairing, or I could have a bunch of Gunslinger Ts whom are all firing and attacking, each individually armed with a Nannite that does insane HP regeneration.

But than im getting into balance, and thats a whole different ballgame. Admittingly, Star Wolves 3 does have improved balance compared to Star Wolves 1 and 2 pretty much being all about the pulse lasers.

Quote:
4. More mothership freedom. We can buy fighters, so why not motherships? Expensive as hell, by all means. But don't force us to depend on storyline trigger changes. That's unfun, bro.
In addition to More Mothership Variety. There are only five motherships in the game, Mastiff, Astarte, Lion, Manticore, and Star Wolf. Everything else is either a variation of the Lion (Lion MK2, Lion MK3), or a variation of the Star Wolf (Rhino, Supply Ship)

It also kinda sucks even more when you finally get that ultimate mothership, and you only get to use it on the final mission. You cant even wander around anymore since you will get a 'GAME OVER' screen.

Quote:
I'm not too hot on the trade / other structures thing. I mean, yeah, those would be absolutely awesome, but they're quite large addition to enter into the game as it is. The other additions however can be made rather painlessly.
I agree.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:35 AM
Trucidation

From the threads I've read, it seems like they can easily do some things. Easily as in it mostly involves just script editing or minor code additions.

- more & larger encounters
It's been mentioned that space feels too empty. It's true. It doesn't feel like there's a war going on. There's that contacts mod (I haven't time to try it out yet) shows that it's already doable.

- weapon fixes
Light guns are screwed, RoF is not much of an advantage when the range blows and the crap accuracy just makes it worse. There should be perks for their dispersion as well.

- detailed pilot info
Even with just these few pilots available, they feel more like faceless bunches of stats: "this is my missile guy, this is the systems guy" etc. It would help if they had a proper bio screen with additional stats showing things like the breakdown of their perk bonuses on each weapon type. Stuff like shots:hits ratio (how often they hit/miss), number of kills, how many times they triggered the 50% armor loss warning, etc.

Some of us love stats, the more the better. Those who don't can simply ignore this screen, no big deal - it's just a stats screen, I don't think it's much work to add.

There could be an additional stats screen for the mothership as well. Btw I think the firmware for System Mk 3 display is bugged, it shows correct stats but is listed as Mk 2.

- item variety
Sure there's plenty of stuff, but most of each type is simply big-bigger-biggest. Like, who cares about Mistrals when you have Cyclones? Weapons already have some contrasts like type, RoF, and damage, but everything else only has 1 stat. Also, the "best" stuff should not be on sale everywhere imo, it reduces the necessity of having to actually hunt down for good loot.

- mercenaries
Frankly, their upkeep costs are huge, they leech from the exp you desperately need, and they die so fast. Like many others, I mostly use them for predicted large encounters or for the endgame final mission, where it only matters to throw more bodies at the enemy.

Make the merc teams smaller but more skillful. Like maybe 2-3 ace pilots with active skills. I wouldn't mind so much if they were expensive and leeched my exp if they actually helped my team survive tough fights instead of being the first ones to die.

These guys should be 1st grade pilots, minimum, and with nearly-best gear (doesn't have to be overall good of course, there can be good offense or good defence types, speed types, etc). There should be no reason for allowing crap mercs to be hired, that is a pointless waste of money and only makes players nerdrage. Money is already tight so why waste it on mediocre pilots?

I don't care if they are "super unbalanced", there are two big reasons this is not a problem: (1) upkeep costs, and (2) they leech exp. Players only hire mercs when they are in dire straits, so why mock them some more by giving mediocre merc teams? Any sane player would rather NOT hire mercs because we all want every bit of exp we can get, even if money isn't a concern (which it usually is).