Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 05-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Approved Member

Default Whats the best way to find the runways?

I am having problems finding the runways in that I have no idea where they are once I'm airborne. Can someone tell me if there is an easy way to find where you want to land? When I look at the map I cannot even see my own aircraft to see where I am. Are you suppose to see your own aircraft on the map? Cheers!!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Approved Member

No you cant see your planes location on full real map. If you don't have roads turned on you won't see grass or dirt runways. scroll in on map to see runways an which way they go Salute
Old 05-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTDawg View Post
No you cant see your planes location on full real map. If you don't have roads turned on you won't see grass or dirt runways. scroll in on map to see runways an which way they go Salute
I have roads on and everything high but how do I find the runways when I have no idea where on the map I am?
Old 05-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

look for large reference points and match them to your map

research dead reckoning navigation for pilots
Old 05-20-2012, 03:12 AM
Approved Member

If you are flying offline you can choose your own difficulty/realism settings and enable icons on the map that show your position.

Otherwise, you need to get familiar with how compasses work in the sim (actually only the RAF ones are a bit funky to get used to initially) and plotting a course.

You can right click on the map and get plotting tools. Choosing the protractor you can measure angles. So, if you draw a line from your initial point to your desired next waypoint and then draw the second line to be vertical, you will get the true bearing to reach that waypoint.

Next, you need to adjust for magnetic deviation, which at that part of the globe in 1940 was a 10 degree offset.
Effectively, what this means is that if you want to fly a heading of 120 you should turn until your compass reads 130 (you just add 10 to the heading you want to fly).

Have a look at this excellent tutorial video by ATAG_Dutch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&f...&v=oyr9Ge8qN6Y
Old 05-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotNoodles View Post
I have roads on and everything high but how do I find the runways when I have no idea where on the map I am?
Unfortunately, AFAIK we don't have the ground controller giving us a bearing to return to home base or nearest friendly airfield. I have sometimes gotten myself turned around, especially flying inland and out of sight of the coast. Here are some additional tips to add to the excellent ones above:

1) make special note which airfield you've spawned in, where it is on the map, and keep track of what direction you're heading out. It's so easy to quickly click on an airfield in order to select an aircraft and "create" a flight that you can't really remember where you started off! I've done it, but fortunately with the limited number of coastal RAF fields on the ATAG server I've gotten to recognize each one and the surrounding terrain/coastline/towns. But occasionally someone will report enemy aircraft strafing the field but can't name the field itself!!!!

2) as the real RAF/LW pilots did, make a point of flying some initial familiarization flights, making note of distinguishing landmarks (towns, rivers with funny bends, other airfields, shape of large/small forests, relationship to coastline, etc)

3) as you head towards the combat zone, make note of where the sun is and where it should be on your return. ie, if the sun is over your right wing as you head out, try to keep the sun over your left wing as you're being chased by three enemy fighters and you're wildly ducking and weaving. This can be a real life-saver since you won't have time to check your compass bearing and set a careful course for home while tracers are whizzing past your cockpit!!!! And every 10 seconds you can get closer to home is another mile further from home for your opponents!

4) sometimes over land you're just gobsmacked as to where you are. Trim your aircraft for hands off flight, open up your map, and try to find a landmark on the ground that matches one on the map -- then set a course for home accordingly.

5) over open water the best you can do is set a course that will get you to friendly shores. Hopefully you'll then be able to get your bearings using (4) above.

Good luck, mate!

Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; 05-20-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the advice all.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotNoodles View Post
I am having problems finding the runways in that I have no idea where they are once I'm airborne. !
There's basically just one main map.
The best thing you can do is learn the map.

If you fly online at all, partner up with some of the guys on teamspeak. You'll soon learn the land marks after an hour or so flying.

If you fly red on the channel map; try to learn where the following are:
1. Manston/ Ramsgate airfields
2. "The bay" next to Manston
3. the town Deal
4. the town Dover
5. the town Folkstone
6. Hawkinge airfield
7. St Mary's bay
8. Littlestone airfield
9. Dungeness
If you can identify these on the map with ease, then you'll always know where you are, and where the nearest base is.

Situation awareness is more important in CloD than it was in IL2. You should ideally know where the two nearest friendly bases are at all times.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Approved Member

Manston & Ramsgate should be quite easy to find as they are on that 'blob' on the NE corner of Kent aka 'Isle Of Thanet' There are no cliffs here

Moving S down the coast until just after it curves SW you will come across Dover with its large harbour with two arms poking out to sea and Dover Castle overlooking it. It also has high white cliffs which makes it easy to spot as you return from France.

A little down the coast from Dover is the coastal town of Folkstone which is identifiable by a small triangular sandy 'spit' poking out to sea and if you turn inland at this point you will find Hawkinge Airfield about one minutes flight in.

Continuing down the coast from Folkstone you cannot miss the large triangular headland of Dungeness that is called 'English Point' by many players. Just before you reach the start of this triangle (where the coast turns South) you will pass Lympne (pronounced 'Lim') a few minutes inland and then the bomber base of Littlestone only a few miles inland. This part just before Dungeness is called St Marys Bay and is where many of our AI controlled bombers appaer before crossing to France. There are no cliffs here.