Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Other > Other Topics

Other Topics Feel free to discuss other topics here.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Approved Member

Saying the maps in ArmA2 are huge is a bit of a stretch as well.

They are large compared to most FPS console games, and their PC ported versions, but they are tiny compared to IL2 or Cliffs of Dover maps.

The Zargabad (sorry about the spelling) map in the Operation Arrowhead addon for ArmA2 is a whopping 11 miles on a side. This is about the size of four grid squares on the Kuban map in IL2. And this is why flight operations in ArmA2 really are just eye candy for the grunts.

Armor is poorly modeled, and is far too weak.

But, it's not a tank or aircraft sim, it's an infantry sim, and at that it is the finest one available.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 05-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Approved Member

If you like Battlefield or call of duty etc dont buy Operation arrowhead. You wont like it

Dieing "for no good reason", getting killed or outmanouvered by a skilled ai, not being able to just charge towards the enemy with all guns blazing, not caring if you die coz you can just respawn and carry on. You will just get frustrated that the game hasnt acknowledged you obvious supreme skill and capabilities and wont let you go on an endless manic killing spree.

If however you fancy a bit of simulated warfare where planning and teamwork lead to success, and mistakes mean your dead, play OA.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Approved Member

Ali Fish,

ArmA2 and OA are combined, plus the other semi add-ons like BAF and Private military what-not.

I have an old computer, the minimum spec for Clod, and it just manages ArmA2 etc with medium settings. If I mug enough old ladies in the coming weeks, I might get a new rig ready for July; and I'll be playing both ArmA2 and Clod.

The first, because it is an excellent game, and the second, because it will be an excellent game.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Approved Member

Hi El.

)
Old 05-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Approved Member

I run Arma2 max settings 5000ft view distance 1920x1200 and get about 35fps arma2 doesnt like ati AA not sure how people with ATI say there running 4x/8x you need to run it applicaton controlled as the ATI catalyst AA bug is still unresolved so its either low/med or high.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyGiro View Post
Hi El.

)
Hi Jimmy.

Didn't know you were an ArmA player. Raven, Ham, Void, myself and some of the other Pub lads muck about with it about once a week online. It is a good break from flight simming, and is fun, in a serious teamwork kind of way.

BTW, I flew over your house in CloD the other day.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 05-14-2011, 06:42 AM
Approved Member

I bought Arma2 because of COD as it was on steam and I had a new PC for COD. I love COD and contrary to most of the whiners here I feel I got my moneys worth with COD but not with ArmaII.

Why? Because the single player mode is a joke. I'm talking stock install here.

It should be called run around watching your AI team mates kill everyone that you can't see and then get killed while hiding in the grass via a headshot from a BMP that is driving 500 metres away at full speed.

Frustrating as $%#@! The BMPs are insane, they are like the terminator, the speed they will find you and kill you in seconds its just nuts, how did they ever release it like that?

I loved Operation Flashpoint but it also had crazy AI. They just have super vision and it really spoils it in terms of realism. I guess MP is where it's at with this. I often make my AI team hold and do everything single handed as they just attract too much attention with their bumbling or they kill everyone before I have a chance.

The graphics are lovely and it has it's moments but I think you need to mod and download, the stock install is lacking.

All sorts of problems that Operation Flashpoint had continue in Arma2, for instance when an AI enemy is in the middle of an action he will complete that action even if you shoot him. So lets say he's just climbing over a fence, you shoot him in the head he wont' go down till you shoot him when he's finished. I could go on all day about other frustrating elements of the game.

I also got Operation Arrowhead with it, and the campaign should be called, run around watching your AI team kill everything as well. I stopped when I was ordered to run from the airfield to one hamlet and then to the other and couldn't get a shot off as my AI team killed everyone at distances where I couldn't even see the enemy or IFF it. I felt more like a reporter than a team member.

Ahhh COD you are worth so much more.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:52 AM
BigPickle

My new MP Evolution Intro

http://forum.gitsclan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=6282
Old 05-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Approved Member

Love ARMA2 its a nice break from flying some times.

Runs smoot on my rig from the day i got it 1 year ago.

Here is me and my son... i am the one who need a med
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wand ARMA.JPG (674.9 KB, 85 views)
RAM : 4 GB

Old 05-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Approved Member

Actaully the only Games I played in the last 4 years were: Armed Assault, ArmA 2 and now I also bought Il-2 CoD (I stopped playing IL 2 1946 since some years because someone took away my disc ) and like ArmA and ArmA 2 it had some technical difficulties.

But it never was so severe that I felt my gaming experinece gets disrubted by that. Certain features were buggy, but the main corew of the game was working : the profound simulation part.