Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:02 AM
Approved Member

The only thing I can think of would be to make the "stall warning sound effect" audible in cockpit mode... Without any indicators in SIM it really detracts from the game.

And for those constantly asking about swapping the layout of the sticks: You guys DO realize that you wouldn't be able to press any of the face buttons while controlling the plane, right?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:17 AM
Approved Member

What about the graphical gltich, the unrendered mouth bite at the wings near the cockpit in external view?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju-87 View Post
the only thing i can think of would be to make the "stall warning sound effect" audible in cockpit mode... Without any indicators in sim it really detracts from the game.

And for those constantly asking about swapping the layout of the sticks: You guys do realize that you wouldn't be able to press any of the face buttons while controlling the plane, right?
very good point!
Old 08-06-2009, 03:57 AM
Approved Member

OK I posted this in the section on cockpit views, but I'll repeat myself here:

The planes need their real cockpits, all of them! A flight sim where not all planes have cockpits is like a Call of Duty game where half the weapons don't have skins and are just wireframes. I need to know the extent of this issue and that something's being done about it before I commit $100 for the flight stick and the game.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:04 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk29 View Post
very good point!
Nah, if you must mash the face buttons while flying it is, but you have ALL your flight controls on the two sticks and the only critical functions between takeoff and landing are inserting bullets/bombs into unfortunate planes/targets and panning your view.

Panning view is EASIER if they switch the sticks because you would be taking your thumb off the rudder/throttle instead of pitch/roll - I'd rather scan the sky with control over pitch/roll than throttle/rudder control if I had to choose between the two.

Guns/bombs can be fired/dropped from triggers (aren't they like that already?) without taking thumbs off sticks.

I don't see the major drawback of switching the sticks - either way sucks compared to a flight stick, but for many, having roll/pitch on the right stick would feel much better if they can't buy a stick.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:09 AM
Approved Member

Right now, in my opinion, this game fails to offer the middle-of-the-road realism that many console fans desire. The realism gap between Arcade and Realistic is too large.

Arcade is just silly, being able to go 1000 Km/h in a Spitfire plus machine guns that shred a bomber with two bullets. But Realistic and Simulation are nearly impossible to control without constantly stalling and going into an unrecoverable spin. The controls are very frustrating on Realistic and Simulation, and dare I say it, not even realistic. No fighter plane is that sensitive to minor turns.

Okay, so here's my suggestion to improve gameplay:

There needs to be another middle level of difficult/realism, maybe called "AUTHENTIC".

It would be in-between "Arcade" and "Realistic".

It would have the controls of Arcade, except no WEP (so therefore realistic speed), and most importantly it would have the damage model of Realistic so that it takes the right number of shots to shoot down an He-111. In "Authentic" it might also be easier to stall than in Arcade, but not as easy as in Realistic, plus stalls and spins would be simple to recover from or recover automatically, like they are modeled in the Ace Combat series.

At the very minimum, there needs to be an option to enable realistic damage in Arcade mode. I hate how you just touch the He-111s with your tigger and they explode. WW2 planes did not have vulcan cannons.

Thank you developers for your time.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ju-87 View Post
The only thing I can think of would be to make the "stall warning sound effect" audible in cockpit mode... Without any indicators in SIM it really detracts from the game.

THIS ^^^^^^ I believe Anton already confirmed it was a glitch. Hopefully it gets fixed... if not?....it's a game breaker in my books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ju-87 View Post
And for those constantly asking about swapping the layout of the sticks: You guys DO realize that you wouldn't be able to press any of the face buttons while controlling the plane, right?
Actually you can press the face buttons with your right fore finger...kinda awkward though. Plus you do not need to hit the face buttons during a hot dogfight in sim mode. Well.... maybe for the combat flaps if you are trying to get that extra bit of deflection in a TnB.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:53 AM
Approved Member

Controll scheme customization, view toggle, replays, axis campaign DLC and stall warnings very much seconded!

Other than that I would say for the visibility of ground targets, maybe a subtle tweaking of their brightness would be sufficient?

Also some compass heading in the cockpit would be nice, the instruments in the spit are pretty good, but I find the p-51 instruments to be totally unusable. In Sim mode, instruments are indispensible and making them more usable would go a long way to helping the gameplay.

I hope that the training section is thorough, for us noobish pilots getting a solid tutorial on what an airframe can sustain, what it can't and why would help immensly with understanding how to fly sucessfully in Sim mode (and like most on here sim mode is all I care about!)

Other than that thanks so much to the devs for a bringing a game of this caliber to consoles, I've been waiting forever for a real sim to come to consoles and I am overjoyed to have gotten such a great product out of Il-2 BoP!

EDIT** I forgot to mention that I really REALLY want more vibration feedback for the airframe stresses, it seems like now all we get are vibration for guns and acceleration, having vibration feedback for impending stalls, tight turns, dives ETC. would be very valuable information for virtual pilots.

Last edited by Doktorwzzerd; 08-06-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorwzzerd View Post
EDIT** I forgot to mention that I really REALLY want more vibration feedback for the airframe stresses, it seems like now all we get are vibration for guns and acceleration, having vibration feedback for impending stalls, tight turns, dives ETC. would be very valuable information for virtual pilots.
I'm not sure if in a real plane you would feel impending stalls on your flight stick - could anybody with experience in real aircraft comment?

But some kind of feedback would be nice indeed. Somewhere else Anton stated that there should be a sound warning you of stalls that is missing in the demo. If there's a sound at least it will be sufficient.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Lecter View Post
I'm not sure if in a real plane you would feel impending stalls on your flight stick - could anybody with experience in real aircraft comment?

But some kind of feedback would be nice indeed. Somewhere else Anton stated that there should be a sound warning you of stalls that is missing in the demo. If there's a sound at least it will be sufficient.

totally true, but a little bend to the rules of reality here might make the game more intuitively playable without sacrificing overmuch in realism. IMHO.