Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 04-06-2013, 02:43 AM
Approved Member

The corsair doesn't go past 220mph-230mph tops in low alt flight..its not supposed to be that slow and thats with 30% fuel

Why do American planes not get any love in this game..I mean come on

Last edited by Black_Sage29; 04-06-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:59 AM
Approved Member

1) Not true. The corsair can achieve well over 350mph at sea level.

2) This is not a valid question or point.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:01 AM
Approved Member

As I said.. You can come up with all the info you want.. even what I posted is moot.. Fly the plane pls TD.. Fly and fight with that plane in 4.11.1 against it's contemporaries in various scenarios.... and come back and tell me there is nothing wrong with it.. It is too slow.. it bleeds speed too fast.. it accelerates too slow.. it has no power.. or little power.. That is not the Corsair.. Just fly it. Fight in it. You will see,
Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

The only "modern" Japanese plane I frequently fly the F4U-1D against, online, is the N1K. I don't recall if I've ever been shot down in that setup. I know that it's not a walk in the park against these, but A6M's are just falling out of the sky burning.

In my opinion there are two Japanese models that are superior, the J2M and the Ki-84. Both of them are imho clown wagons, with performances a lot better than they historically were. There's one more model that is competitive, that's the N1K. And the Ki-100 can be considered simply inferior. All other contemporaries are hopelessly outclassed (Ki-43, Ki-61, A6M).

The worst thing about it is that it is hard to control, spins pretty easily and is not very stable. But then, it's possible to adapt to this and it's a pretty decent fighter.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sage29 View Post
The corsair doesn't go past 220mph-230mph tops in low alt flight..its not supposed to be that slow and thats with 30% fuel

Why do American planes not get any love in this game..I mean come on
Look up the differences between indicated air speed and true air speed and you'll find out why you "can't get above" 220mph. Different scale. IAS is the air flowing past regardless of altitude/density while TAS accounts for that discrepancy and gives you the actual ground distance travelled.

American planes have some of the best features, the greatest ranges (typically), and are usually amongst the toughest of the aircraft in-game relative to their opponents and even contemporaries. They are bigger, heavier, more powerful, and carry more rockets and bomb loads.

While German and Soviet aircraft were designed to support the armies (and are typically short ranged, small, light and fast), American fighters were designed to operate in a variety of theatres and conditions and I like to call them "war winning" with the range and munitions to really devastate a target on their own. No army support specifically required. This is extremely valuable when you fight in a theatre like the Pacific where air power enables you to conduct those island hopping campaigns.

The Corsair can carry 4000lbs of bombs in extreme conditions. More than most nations medium bombers.

The only issue I have with the Corsair is I wonder about is it's acceleration. The top speed in testing has been spot on to stated documents, the handling appears to match historical description (especially for a plane known as the Ensign Eliminator), but it does take a while to get to top speed. It may be spot on... that's the only area where I kind of feel like the Corsair is very difficult.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Approved Member

Hmmm I guess that's why a P-47 can be taken out with one shot. So can the Corsair which I believe has the same engine. Because it is so tough...... I do not see what you see in the Corsair in particular..I hope that someone in a position to do something at least gives the aircraft a serious look. I am not alone in my assessment of the Corsair and even if there are also over modeling issues with other aircraft the corsair deserves another look. like the previous poster said it's acceleration is suspect and it bleeds speed so fast that it is almost impossible to regain it once you loose it. I hope someone gives it a serious look.

Last edited by Bearcat; 04-06-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Hmmm I guess that's why a P-47 can be taken out with one shot. So can the Corsair which I believe has the same engine. Because it is so tough......
Any plane can be destroyed by a single round in the right spot - and how often does this happen in this game? Most of the times Corsairs can take quite some punishment and stay afloat.
Quote:
I do not see what you see in the Corsair in particular..I hope that someone in a position to do something at least gives the aircraft a serious look. I am not alone in my assessment of the Corsair and even if there are also over modeling issues with other aircraft the corsair deserves another look. like the previous poster said it's acceleration is suspect and it bleeds speed so fast that it is almost impossible to regain it once you loose it. I hope someone gives it a serious look.
I think you expect too much from the Corsair. Just flight performance wise it is not at the top of the list. Its just too heavy for that. But it can carry up to 4000 pounds of bombs or a mix of bombs/rockets, has a range of 1000 miles+, can absorb some damage and make it home, and can start and land at a carrier. And I'd bet much of its reputation came from pilot quality, most US pilots were very well trained by the time Corsairs arrived in numbers, while the quality of Japanese pilots was decreasing.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Approved Member

The former is quite possible.. the latter is quite true.. I have been playing around with stick settings to try to find a better profile.. The engine in the Corsair is the same one in the P-47 .. and P-47s have been known to keep running with a blown cylinder.. Sometimes it seems as if the DM of the radials is the same as the inline engines.. From all accounts it should be more robust.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Approved Member

We're talking about performance. Corsair is supposed to be maneuverable and it's not even when in top speed low alt flight ( 220-230mph ). Also bleeds off speed way to fast

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u.html

Note that report above says the corsair should reach 300mph Indicated air speed. IN game it doesn't reach this..not even close to that ( 220-230mph is way off )..but ok...

The corsair's top speed is supposed to be about 20mph slower than the P-51 also according to wikipedia..and it's not. P-51 reaches a top speed of roughly around 300-310mph IAS in game level flight

Here's another report: http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.o...stangtest.html

^^^ P-51 reaches 363mph true airspeed low-alt flight

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...ZSEmP7iWljqfGg

^^ here you can see corsair has maximum speed of 343ph true airspeed in low-alt flight. That's about 20mph behind p51

Based on all of this the corsair should at least reach 260mph-280mph in level flight in game instead of 220-230mph
Old 04-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
The former is quite possible.. the latter is quite true.. I have been playing around with stick settings to try to find a better profile.. The engine in the Corsair is the same one in the P-47 .. and P-47s have been known to keep running with a blown cylinder.. Sometimes it seems as if the DM of the radials is the same as the inline engines.. From all accounts it should be more robust.
I've always assumed the "golden bullet" engine seizure was not a blown cylinder but something like main fuel line destroyed?