Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 01-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumoschwanz View Post
I think the effects in mods generally look like whoever designed them watched too many cheap Hollywood action movies. The effects in the official patches get better as time goes by, but I would hope that accuracy as a flight sim would take priority over working on things to entertain bored children...
Is it absolutely essential that you try to make your points by insulting people? I don't think it helps your case.

Cloyd
Old 01-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Approved Member

Regardless of his delivery style, Jumoschwanz has a very valid point.

The smoke effects in HSFX, are utterly overdone, and can grind even a decent system in to very low frame rates.

Just because you can do something does not mean you should. This is one of those times.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 01-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Approved Member

I use Plutonium effects pack exclusively - these are as far from Hollywood as you can get, based on real guncam footage. So as far as modded effects go, you cannot really say that they are overdone. You can chose the ones you like, so saying that people who like these watch too many cheap movies is a biased statement.

As for stock game - this is the most painful thing for most people. IL-2 stock has enough planes to keep everyone busy for a long time, but it's 2012 and many people use mods just to improve visual quality of the game. Let's face it flight realism is one thing, but visual realism is also important. If that makes me a bored child so be it.

I do not expect that stock patches will ever make IL-2 better looking (though the 2d smoketrails look horrible and the sounds are of a lawnmower), but it might be a good idea to make the possibility of at least adding textures, sound and effects mods to a stock game, without using mod activators, so those who fly stock only, and want to improve the visual quality, could easily add the stuff they like.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Approved Member

Allright, maybe I crossed the line by putting a specific example, but I think every aspect contributes to the welfare of the game, and effects, sounds, etc. should not be overlooked when planning development.

I fully agree that there are a lot more important things to get done before, but it's up to us to request, and up to Team Daidalos to decide. So far, I'm very glad with the way things are going, and see no reason for that to change.

With 4.11 released, my CloD install will sit in my hard drive untouched for at least a couple more months .
Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaruda View Post
I use Plutonium effects pack exclusively - these are as far from Hollywood as you can get, based on real guncam footage. So as far as modded effects go, you cannot really say that they are overdone. You can chose the ones you like, so saying that people who like these watch too many cheap movies is a biased statement.

As for stock game - this is the most painful thing for most people. IL-2 stock has enough planes to keep everyone busy for a long time, but it's 2012 and many people use mods just to improve visual quality of the game. Let's face it flight realism is one thing, but visual realism is also important. If that makes me a bored child so be it.

I do not expect that stock patches will ever make IL-2 better looking (though the 2d smoketrails look horrible and the sounds are of a lawnmower), but it might be a good idea to make the possibility of at least adding textures, sound and effects mods to a stock game, without using mod activators, so those who fly stock only, and want to improve the visual quality, could easily add the stuff they like.
I think it comes down to interest. If someone on the TD team has the knowledge, interest, and time then they could. If someone externally wants to work with TD to implement improved effects then I'm sure that would be welcomed as well.

Realism would (IMHO) still be the objective and so would efficiency and making sure that the new effects don't have a substantial extra requirement over the stock game as is. I'm sure it's doable within reasonable bounds.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:21 AM
Approved Member

Would it ever be possible to edit the splash screen or the default skins in the stock sim .. I know it's a simple thing .. one that shouldn't take too much effort. I know I can already edit the mission loading image .. that has been around for a while .. but I have some pretty nice splash screens ... and I also like to come in on a base that has a fleet of Redtail Mustangs lined up .. Even being able to set the skin on static AC .. even if the chouces were limited ... say default .. or 1 or 2 choices .. BTW thanks for adding the mouse wheel zoom ... little things like that are big things for me because they enhance the overall experience..
Old 01-20-2012, 05:11 AM
Approved Member

What happened to the whole night fighter radar theme and the triggers? Those I believe are some feature that most were looking forward to.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
What happened to the whole night fighter radar theme and the triggers? Those I believe are some feature that most were looking forward to.
+1
Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Approved Member

i think it would be for the best to stop adding content for one aptch and brign to better standards whats done.

somne cockpits trully deserve better polly count, and soem exterior models too. thats a LOT of work, and could easely be a patch on its own.

also WIDESCREEN / MULTIPLE SCREEN support would be really nice.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
This is still planed, we have made and tested lot of individual modules but we have to put them together. I believe that sometime this year players will be able to enjoy these features.

In addition to that we are contemplating addition of strategical level to game AI to enhance usefulness of the triggers, naturally, radar and night fighter would benefit from it too.

These are our main coding tasks, we have spent incredible amount of time on 6DOF and AI for 4.11, since we are free from that we can focus on other important things and night fighting and triggers are on the top of the priority list.

While I'm here I'd like to know are players interested in "Branched Campaigns". I'll explain it a little to those who are not familiar with that concept.

Currently we have two types of campaigns in Il2, linear , custom made campaigns and dynamic campaigns like DGEN. Branched campaigns fit somewhere in the middle. They are hand made but unlike linear campaigns, we have now, they allow different outcome of the campaign.

That way player can affect what happens in the campaign(like in dynamic campaigns) but they retain all of the good sides of well designed hand made campaign.

On the bad side this makes task for campaign maker much harder because he must make missions for each of the campaign branches.

FC