Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:16 AM
Approved Member

Default New Info Windows: Speedbar?

I know how to create new info windows and such, but is there a way to create one that acts as a speedbar ala IL2? I've looked at all the window info options, and there seems like there may be a lot more options at some point, but I wouldn't know how to add any if that's possible right now.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Approved Member

Hi Droz,

No speed alt or direction available in info window as of yet.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Approved Member

There's a view command called "look at instruments" or something like that. Assign a key to it and you're done: when you press it the view changes to show your instrument panel and stays there only for as long as you keep the button pressed, if you release it your view goes back to what it was before you pressed it.

In other words, it's a snap-view that enables you to take quick looks at the instrument panel without losing sight of what's going on outside. I started using it due to the lack of the speedbar and after a few flights i actually started to prefer it over the old system. The cockpits are high resolution so it's easy to read the gauges and i like the fact that i have to take a glance into the cockpit from time to time just like it used to be in reality, with all the risks this brings.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Approved Member

Blackdog, quick question: I've played with that, too, but I didn't since I got TIR, and I can't quite remember... for example, in the Spitfire cockpit, can you clearly see the magnetic compass and the gyro? And how does it interact with TIR, are there problems?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Approved Member

i dont like in general these comparisons between these two games, but, RoF gives a good example how usefull it would be if you could make your own snapshots.

perhaps this could be something to consider in the (more far away) future of gameengine development.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG53Frankyboy View Post
i dont like in general these comparisons between these two games, but, RoF gives a good example how usefull it would be if you could make your own snapshots.

perhaps this could be something to consider in the (more far away) future of gameengine development.
That would be a very good solution, it's one of the things RoF does well and it would be beneficial to copy that function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redroach View Post
Blackdog, quick question: I've played with that, too, but I didn't since I got TIR, and I can't quite remember... for example, in the Spitfire cockpit, can you clearly see the magnetic compass and the gyro? And how does it interact with TIR, are there problems?
I use freetrack and it works fine, the snap-view overrides all other view controls for as long as the button's pressed. I mapped it on a button on the base of my MS sidewinder for ease of access in a fight. This way i can easily take a peek at my temperatures while maneuvering behind a bandit, as soon as i release the button my view snaps to wherever freetrack commands it to and it's very easy to reacquire the bandit.

As for the Spitfire compass, sadly the view doesn't give a clear look. However,i've found out that fiddling with the compass mid-flight is inherently difficult due to the lack of aileron trim. The aircraft banks and messes up my alignment process, so i have started calibrating the compass from a wider field of view to keep the horizon in sight.

It takes a bit of practice but it's definitely doable. What i usually do is move left and down, then pause freetrack to keep the view there. I momentarily go to zoom view to see where is the north marker on the bar and the T in the compass, then go back to wide view and align them. As long as you know which way to turn it, it's easy enough to align from a wider view because all you do is turn it until the lines are parallel. Then you input that value in the directional gyro.

I've found out that absolute precision is not a must, in fact i get good results navigating cross-channel without even applying the magnetic variance corrections just by comparing the view out the cockpit with the map.

Of course all this is not something that can be done mid-combat but then again, it would be unnatural to be fiddling with the compass in the middle of the fight. What i do is get an accurate reading and set it up once before takeoff (take care to be idling and stationary, applying throttle and stepping on the brakes results in forces acting on the compass and it gives wrong readings). I've found out that it doesn't drift much during relaxed flying (climb and cruise), in fact it's off by 2-5 degrees every 10-15 minutes or so.

In other words, it works fine if you just leave it alone and compare your surroundings with the map, even if you have a 5 degree error.

After combat is when it's necessary to recalibrate since violent maneuvers topple the gyros and mess up the readings. However, this is hard to do when trying to run for home with a 109 on your tail blasting away, so i took it one step further and decided to use the magnetic compass for quick and dirty heading assessments: the T points to the North, so just turn until it points to the top of the compass, then turn a bit more left or right (for a rough NW or NE heading) depending on where i am when starting my run for home. If and when the enemy disengages i can then recalibrate my gyro with more precision.

The best solution would be to have a "look at compass" command that works similar to the "look at instruments" command, or have the ability to save preset views (the RoF suggestion above), but until then it' still possible to get the necessary bearings the way i described. Hope it helps
Old 07-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Approved Member

yes, I hear that, I've got problems with re-aligning the gyro mid-flight as well - but this is, of course, a historical problem. Thanx for your hints.