Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Default Turret Gunner Controls

I am curious if the turret gunner is going to be controlled by mouse in CoD as it is in IL-2. In my opinion the rapid movement and "point and click" aiming system with IL-2 could fetch some more realistic qualities if it actually took the proper amount of time to turn the guns to aim at incoming targets.

Slowing the scroll of your mouse to imitate turning guns would however cause things to feel a little sluggish and awkward so my thought is to use the joystick to move your gun turret. I think this would feel much more realistic, (turning the gun with what feels like a gun handle and firing with a trigger), add immersion, and get away from the errattic point and shoot madness of using the mouse.

What does everyone else think about this issue?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:15 AM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_stout View Post
A lot of the people will still be flying the plane with their joysticks if it's anything like IL-2's setup.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

Don't have much to add to this. Other than, now that you have pointed it out, I agree 100%.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:23 AM
Approved Member

I agree, and I also had been thinking about this. It seems unusual that the turret should be the only part of the aircraft controllable with the mouse. This is one of those features where merely having an option to use the joystick would be pointless, since it's more difficult than using the mouse.

Personally, I think everyone should be forced to use the joystick in gun turrets - it would help the immersion, and prevent people from opting for the super-easy mouse controls.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:10 AM
Approved Member

I think it is a terrible idea. You must not fly dogfight servers. It is hard enough having to jump back and forth from the pilot station to the gunner station, switch hands to fly the plane backwards with my left hand, grab the mouse with my right hand, get a deflection shot in a plane without a level stabilizer without crashing the plane or getting shot and killed cuz all you have is an itty bitty machine gun to defend yourself. Now you want to make it harder by slowing the turret??? Super easy??? You have got to be kidding!!! It's one of the hardest things in the game!!! Considering that in real life the rear gunner wasn't having to fly the plane at the same time like we have to do in game...I think the faster mouse movement is acceptable. Also, I have experimented with using a joystick and it doesn't work. The response is too slow and the movement not precision enough to work. You won't hit anything.

Edit:
You can emulate a mouse with a joystick in Glovepie. Try it and you will see what I mean.

Last edited by MadBlaster; 02-03-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:59 AM
Approved Member

If you didn't want to use the joystick for the gunner, there could be an option to use a mouse directed turret. So you would move a small mouse curser to where you want the turret to move to and the actual gun would lag behind and fire at the correct speed for that aircraft. I understand the OP's point, It is rather unrealistic to have huge motorised turrets that you can move around like you're firing a pistol.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 02-03-2011, 06:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
If you didn't want to use the joystick for the gunner, there could be an option to use a mouse directed turret. So you would move a small mouse curser to where you want the turret to move to and the actual gun would lag behind and fire at the correct speed for that aircraft. I understand the OP's point, It is rather unrealistic to have huge motorised turrets that you can move around like you're firing a pistol.
So you fellows seriously think that a aircraft builder or a airforce would use slow cumbersome turrets to defend their bombers? I mean what are the turrets for? Additional targets for fighters or for defence?? I think some are mixing these turrets up with cumbersome tank or ships turrets that weighed a few tons.
Can it be those complaining about the turrets are not very skilled in attacking bombers and need to hobbel their targets so that they have a chance of any success? Also turret is not turret there are very differant kinds, and dumping all in one pot, does give the feeling that those complaining seem to be inexperianced fighter jocks.
How about doing some training then complaining that your target is not asleep?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Approved Member

I think most of these machine gun turrets are simple ball bearing type mechanisms? The movement is controlled by the physical movement of the gunners arms and body, not a motor. So, moving the gun directly with your mouse would be more similar then moving a mouse pointer to a location and waiting for the gun to get there because there would be no lag in that type of design. It's point and shoot. True, some turrets are motor driven. But I'm with Wutz. Have a hard time believing the designers would make a laggy imprecise turret to replace the ball bearing types.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Tvrdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_stout View Post
I am curious if the turret gunner is going to be controlled by mouse in CoD as it is in IL-2. In my opinion the rapid movement and "point and click" aiming system with IL-2 could fetch some more realistic qualities if it actually took the proper amount of time to turn the guns to aim at incoming targets.

Slowing the scroll of your mouse to imitate turning guns would however cause things to feel a little sluggish and awkward so my thought is to use the joystick to move your gun turret. I think this would feel much more realistic, (turning the gun with what feels like a gun handle and firing with a trigger), add immersion, and get away from the errattic point and shoot madness of using the mouse.

Did you ever saw a ww2 turret moving with your own eyes? Nope. Well I did and it moves very fast...
Old 02-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Approved Member

The British electric turrets had a traverse speed (left to right, 180 degrees) of about 4 seconds so it should be laggy with a mouse. I got this info from a contemporary report made by the Germans on a captured Blenheim.

I've also seen a figure of 35 degrees a second, either way not exactly fast.

For comparison : The ball turret on a B-17 could only do 30 degrees a second, nose turret could do 40 degrees a second.