Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
SSD instead of HDD will likely only lower your load times. It will have almost ZERO effect on your FPS.
Yes perhaps, but I also do alot of audio recording in my spare time. So faster read/write times will give me almost no latency when laying down tracks even at sample rates of up to 192khz. And not only that but it's also about reliability. HDDs have a short life expectancy when compared to an SSD. If spending the extra bit of cash to get several more years out of my drive than it seems a good investment to me. And besides, who wants to wait around waiting with stupid load screens anyways. Not this guy.

It really is the future for internal hard drives though. Once we see capacities go up and prices come down then everyone is going to start snagging these up.
- 2500k @ 4.8Ghz Lapped IHS - AsRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - MSI GTX 560 Ti 2Gb - Crutial M4 SATA3 64Gb SSD - 8Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz @ 8-8-8-21 RAM - Silverstone 750w Fully Modular PSU - Antec 1200 ATX Case - Zalman 9700 Cooler - Win7 Ultimate x64 -
Old 02-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyby View Post
I need to select an x58 mobo and after looking at several reviews, I realize I don't know which synthetic test best translates to our combat flight sims. So I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone with knowledge of such a thing could sort this out. I've added a link to one mobo test that lists several tests used to gauge a mobo's prowess:
http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/...ds/2080_6.html
Which among them would best represents the performance criteria most important to our genre?
No haters, or Neanderthal replies, please.
thanks!
Flyby out

what you really should consider as well with any mobo, is reliability. Research and compare and especially check the various forums for faults which consistently show up
Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Approved Member

Wink way too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Rider View Post
what you really should consider as well with any mobo, is reliability. Research and compare and especially check the various forums for faults which consistently show up
way too many motherboards are produced for there not to be a lemon here and there. But there are sites to visit that will help me figure out the mobos with the best reliability, and waranty (ASUS?). That's a lot of reading, but choosing wisely also takes reliability into consideration.

Since I'm looking at a purely gaming rig (though I may load some programs on it) I don't see the need for an SSD yet. As for DDR4, that sounds like a new mobo chipset to me.

It's the old story of chasing the bottleneck. I guess CPUs will still be that bottleneck until they reach 9ghz on air cooling. By then there might even be DDR65.

Flyby out
Old 02-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Approved Member

Also consider that warranty needs to have good cutomer service as well.
What may look like an excellent warranty deal can be torn asunder by lousy back up... something else to take into account. Some out there give exceptional service, whilst others leave a lot to be desired.

best of luck though and let us know how you go
Old 02-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Approved Member

SSD are cool but atm too expensive for the amount of space imho. I went with a 2tb 7200rpm drive but it has a 64mb buffer so it runs at the speed of a 10000rpm/raptor. I thought it was the best rounded solution, maybe in a year or two I will go SSD.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:46 AM
Approved Member

Flyby,
In the recent interview in Russian, Oleg said this game likes memory, lots of it, both ram and on the graphics card. This in combination with a multicore cpu, the standard for which seems to be a 3ghz+ quad core, ROF runs better on one apparently, so by extention will CoD. We don't know if the game will utilise any more cores than that. Recent postings on this board have pointed out that it is problematic to write multithreaded applications anyway and in particular for flight sims, so newer hex or octo cored chips maybe a waste. 6gb of ram will be needed to run the game at highish settings is the impression I have at the moment. I do not know much of intel latest boards or setups but am contemplating an AMD rig, (Crosshair IV with a quad chip, 3.4ghz which will oc to around 3.8 on air with ease for less than cost than similar from intel. Adding two GPU's in crossfire should bang up the frame rate if (?) CoD scales well across two cards. Only real problem for me is whether the FFB stick forces can be tuned under windows 7 and buttons allocated.
Good luck with it, but I would advise waiting until the game is out and seeing how the land lies before commiting any hard earned. AMD are releasing a new ground up chip known as Bulldozer around April this year, I'm waiting to see how it performs and it's price (new socket thus new mobo! I understand). So you may want to hang on a bit.
Regards
Old 02-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclean525 View Post
5 year warranty, .
2nd time someone mentions this in this thread.
Honestly, who would use a board for 5 years?
That's roughly 3 CPU generations.
Given the fact it's a x58 I hope he does not have to use it for 5 years.
So, two or three - maybe.
Also, I've never had a board go "taco".
Old 02-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Approved Member

Hi gang,
It seems prudent to wait a little longer. I've got the processor, but the rest can wait until we start seeing reports "from the field" about how CoD runs on various system configurations. Video ram and system ram will sort themselves out, as will what effect HDD cache ram has on performance.

I intend to run in 19x10 resolution on a 24(+) inch monitor. I wonder if video ram will be tested at higher game settings while using that resolution. Thoughts on that? (As an aside, seeing distant planes as dots will hopefully be easy at that rez) Of course my goal is to run CoD at the highest game settings I can while still having smooth frame rates in a sky filled with activity, or while in a low-alt pursuit with trees and houses whizzing by. Maybe that's a tall order, knowing Oleg. But we'll see.

Thank you all again for very thoughtful replies. I'll research the various components before I put my hard-earned out there. I think my system will appear in my signature one day. It will have been a long time for that!
Flyby out
Old 02-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
2nd time someone mentions this in this thread.
Honestly, who would use a board for 5 years?
That's roughly 3 CPU generations.
Given the fact it's a x58 I hope he does not have to use it for 5 years.
So, two or three - maybe.
Also, I've never had a board go "taco".
It's a testimony to the products quality, the maker is confident and want's the customer to trust that this board should last.
Maybe that mobo and CPU will be good enough as a surf and/or office PC still in 5 years time.. After 2-3 years a gamer normally has a completely new build for his gaming rig.
I've got a PSU with a 7 year warranty by the way..
I'm running +2.5 years on my current rig.. I've saved up for something new when I know better how CLoDO will perform.