Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Approved Member

Default Logitech G490 flight system

Calling anyone using the Logitech G490 flight system,

I have never had a HOTAS system before, but I am now considering getting this one, as I like to have force feedback.

Any feedback from users with thoughts and tips regarding the G490 and use with CloD would be appreciated before I spend any money.

Thanks in anticipation.

Talisman
Old 04-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Approved Member

I like my G940 setup, but I do not have experience with any other HOTAS and rudder. Flying with it for 2 years now.

My G940's stick is very precise and FF fully adjustable to your desire, trim functions on the base of the stick are a god-send. Button layout on the stick itself is good can reach everything with ease, 2 staged trigger does wear a bit over time.

The rudder is good, can make accurate shots during high speed engagements with use of the rudder. The pedals are nice and big and fits my size 48 foot just fine, also has separate brakes when you push the pedal downwards, in the BF109 that makes for good 'on-the-ground' handling.

Now the throttle quadrant, having 8 x 3 ( mode 1, 2 and 3) = 24 different buttons to assign on the base of the quadrant is good, more then I can remember . The throttle itself is not so good, you can smoothly throttle the plane just fine all the way from 0 to 100% but sometimes there's a few hickups, and then the buttons on the throttle do not work in my case, usually when the throttle is at the 70-100% power range, so I didn't map any important controls to the throttle itself. There's some fixes on the internet, but requires you to de-assemble the quadrant and start messing there, I did some of that but no good results yet.

To relate this to CoD and 1946, I can say that with 45 kills in 22 historical multiplayer missions vs other squadrons that this stick has served me well

All in all, I think it's a good complete flight system. I wish it was perfect, but it's not .

Last edited by Sven; 04-24-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Approved Member

I posted this in a response just under a year ago regarding the G940.

Quote:
Hi! I've been simming for about 15 years and what I can tell you about the G940 is that it's working as advertised and performing a little beyond my expectations. The force-feedback is a lot stronger than my previous logitech FFB stick and works very well. For CLOD I have only one issue with the stick, and that is the trigger for MG's and button for cannons. For some reason if I quickly "tap" the button or trigger it sort-of "hangs" and sprays bulletes until I press it again. I'm positive it's a CLOD error and not the stick, because I've never experienced this in any other game I use the stick in. (IL-2 FB, ARMA 2, Rise of Flight).

The setup is cheap for a full package, but it has everything you need, and doesn't "Feel" cheap. The kit is built to last and has some good features. I'd steer away from the Saitek force-sensing stick, as it better fits players wanting the feel of flying a F-35 or F-16. Most jets have the stick center between the legs anyways with movement for better pilot feedback.

If there is ONE thing I'd like to change it's the trimrollers (two on the throttle and three on the stick). They do not have a center "notch" so you can feel on the roller when you are back to neutral. There is a visual white bar, that lines up with a painted white bar on the adjacent part of the controller, and after a few minutes you'll be used to it. Otherwise I bought this stick and two of my friends bought it the next week after trying it and we're all enjoying it. I feel it is very precise aswell for a FFB stick!! You can do small control inputs to get the formation flying right! And you'll have all the buttons you need to pilot the fighters of CloD Even bombers!

I hope this helps!

I'm a happy customer anyways!
If I may add anything to my original evaluation it is that for some reason the throttle can be a little strange. Not often, but once in a while (maybe 5-10% of the times I fly sims) the buttons will act up on the throttle, this can normally be eliminated by retarding and advancing the throttle once or twice. However some times it has rendered the buttons useless for up to 5 minutes. This is annoying, but personally I can live with that. Like real planes, something is bound to break sooner or later .

Other than that it's the throttle output itself and especially the two trim wheels on the throttle. They can twitch a little (jump between 1-2%) if placed in a certain setting (suspect potmeter quality). For most stuff this isn't annoying, but in Rise of Flight I use one of the trim wheels for variable zoom. That is terrible. If the trimwheel isn't steady, you're in for a real nasty super zoom, zooming in and out constantly. It stings in my eye :p gotta get that remapped, just too lazy For Falcon BMS i use it for Radar Antennae elevation, and if it jumps a tiny bit, it has pretty much nothing to say, barely even noticable.

The star of the kit imho is the stick. Force feedback is excellent, and shows no signs of wearing out. Used this stick a LOT the last year and it's showing no signs of becoming weaker. The stick is well designed and features a trigger detent position (two clicks per trigger press) which in games like IL-2 could be used in example as first detent : MG only, second detent: cannon too. It has three axis trim and one 8-way hatswitch and one mini stick (yes an X and Y analogue stick) on top. The mini stick is great for RADAR or Targeting pod cursors, as it has adjustable curves.

The throttle mind you has the same ministick DESIGN on it, but it is NOT another ministick, simply an 8-way hatswitch. It also has an obvious 8-way hatswitch, like the stick.

Lastly, pedals. I have never owned a pair of pedals before, so I can't compare them to anything else. But they are really good for me (I have size 48 Scandinavian/european? feet). No problems there, my toes can "pinch" the top of the toe brakes but it is not uncomfortable in any way. They have variable friction, just like the throttle, to suit your preferances. I have no complaints whatsoever about the rudder pedals.

That's all I have for now, I hope this helps

PS:

The throttle has a switch for selecting between 3 modes. Essentially this remaps your setup in the logitech profiler software to a completely different preset of custom key-bindings. So say you have Mode1 mapped for Falcon, if you want to play Lockon afterwards and you have bothered to make a custom setup for it you can simply switch it to mode2 or 3. This can be done in-software also if you want to simulate different master-modes. Say for instance you have mode 1 = nav (all navigation stuff mapped all over the stick) mode 2 = AA (all air to air stuff) and mode 3 = AG (all air to ground stuff) as an example. It offers great flexibility this way, but I prefer to use only 1 mode, and then adjusting the GAME itself in accordance to the stick setup. Also, the profiler software comes with a few "default" presets for some games, but those are usually not 100% complete. I think it had one for IL-2 1946 where it automatically mapped Landing gear, flaps, magnetos etc to the setup. Neat, but not to my preferances of course

The 8 buttons on the thottle base can be removed and you can place your custom "cutouts" under them to display what their functions are. I personally only have Flaps up/flaps down on two of them. I mostly don't use them since the way my setup is I can accidentially rest my wrist on them whilst flying, and say.... lower landing gear in 500 Kts

Last edited by Strike; 04-24-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Approved Member

I have a G940 for more than a year and it is very nice, precise and easy to use. For the price it is a god buy.
Also a strong point is it fixation on the support, desk or other. I like it a lot.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
Calling anyone using the Logitech G490 flight system
I would not miss it!!!

Buy it, but pay not more than 200 Euro ...
GeForce GTX 970 4095 MB
Logitech G35 Headset
Logitech G940 Flight System (fw 1.42)
Mad Catz Strike7 Keyboard
Headtracker DIY 6DOF & OpenTrack 2.3.10
Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Approved Member

Strike you can fix that rotaries spiking problem very easily.

http://riseofflight.com/forum/viewto...?f=350&t=10307

There is how to do it, remember clue that wire, so it cannot move, look Jaydolan answer.

It takes 10min fix that problem and no spiking anymore in rotaries when you move throttle.

Happy G940 owner here after that fix.

Problem is when you move throttle it moves that wire and then it moves that white connector too and rotaries get spike then. Glue it stationary and enjoy.

Last edited by Kankkis; 04-24-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Approved Member

Had my G940 since release too, and happy with it. I also needed to do the mod to stop the R1/R2 spiking - no issues since.

Like the dual throttle for CLoD. Mixture on the port throttle, throttle control on the starboard throttle.

Also invested in the Saitek Pro Throttle Quadrant, which sits to the left of the G940 throttle. This has (from left to right). Radiator, Flaps, Gear.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Approved Member

I'm using a Logitech force 3d and paddles from my steering wheel as rudder. Can't seem to get accurate results with the stick, not sure if the problem is with Clod or the cheap joystick. Anyway, I'm also thinking of upgrading.

My choices are between the G940 and the Saitek Pro Flight X65F. The X65F is retailing slightly cheaper "from my country". I think someone mentioned their preference concerning the G940, but have anyone first hand experience with both setups? I'd appreciate some input into the decision. I know the G940 comes with paddles, but if the stick is poked, the whole setup is worthless.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Approved Member

I got a G940 system a few months ago. I actually did not like the ffb at all. It made the stick feel rough like pushing against electric motors, the action was not smooth. It made aiming accurately quite impossible for me. It's possible that it was defective, I have no experience with ffb sticks to compare it to. It is a good looking set of gear though and nice buttons and features, the build quality is very nice. The way it all comes together as a system and connects to itself means it's all or nothing. It would be nice if they sold the pieces separatly and designed them to be independantly connected. I ended up returning it.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpeXB View Post
I got a G940 system a few months ago. I actually did not like the ffb at all. It made the stick feel rough like pushing against electric motors, the action was not smooth. It made aiming accurately quite impossible for me. It's possible that it was defective, I have no experience with ffb sticks to compare it to. It is a good looking set of gear though and nice buttons and features, the build quality is very nice. The way it all comes together as a system and connects to itself means it's all or nothing. It would be nice if they sold the pieces separatly and designed them to be independantly connected. I ended up returning it.
I got the same problem first, then i configured FF settings in windows and get it better, much better, with default values at all 100% it was too stiff, i lowered 2 bottom values and now it's great.