Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

View Poll Results: which would you buy?
*T.Flight Stick X 9 8.11%
*T.Flight Hotas X 57 51.35%
AV8R-03 26 23.42%
other (please state) 19 17.12%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan1000 View Post
After you have worked to get on the six of a bandit and just need to pitch the nose up just a little bit to pull lead, you will pull back on the stick a little and nothing happens, so you pull back a little more...still nothing. You pull back a little more and the nose violently pitches up and the moment is gone.
And if you're banked over, turning nicely on your target and you just want the tiniest feather of rudder to put lift/lower your nose, and Bam!, you've violently yawed 20 degrees and sprung back, slapping about in the air like a salmon.

I need an analogue rudder!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Approved Member

Ace edge kicks ass!

HOTAS
Variable rudder
Minimal dead zone
Good 360 deg. free look

The game plays so much nicer using this flightstick.

xbox 360 only I'm affraid...........
Old 08-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

just a small point, may have been covered but, why can't we just plug a mouse into one of the usb (ps3) controller ports? If the support could be written into a patch or something it would solve all the hatswitch/free look issues. we've been playing this setup on the pc versions for years with no problems so surely its not impossible?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblah View Post
just a small point, may have been covered but, why can't we just plug a mouse into one of the usb (ps3) controller ports? If the support could be written into a patch or something it would solve all the hatswitch/free look issues. we've been playing this setup on the pc versions for years with no problems so surely its not impossible?
I don't know for a fact or anything, but I would guess there are technical issues relating to this. Whenever I use my racing wheel for GT5p or the DiRT 2 demo, I can't use the standard controller at the same time, likewise for IL-2 when in flight.. so I can only assume that there is some restriction from using two control input devices at the same time. It is a fairly big assumption though.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Approved Member

Yea just go xbox with Ace Edge
Old 08-29-2009, 02:50 AM
Approved Member

There is no reason why the aviator rudder is on/off, it should be fixed in a patch for sure, the twistgrip should work correctly.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:57 AM
Approved Member

Ace Edge works great with the demo. I am not sure if TM has a stick available for the 360, but if anyone knows of one, please let me know. TM is arguable the best stick manufacturer in the world, second only to the folks that make the Slim Jim. It would be great to have a stick that had more functionality and a little different feel. Ace Edge is a heavy stick control wise.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverCompany01 View Post
Ace edge kicks ass!

HOTAS
Variable rudder
Minimal dead zone
Good 360 deg. free look

The game plays so much nicer using this flightstick.

xbox 360 only I'm affraid...........
So how does the Ace edge actually manage that? You must have to use a shift button for one of the analog controls?

I don't have a stick yet so I'm no expert but I thought the whole problem with the configs is that there aren't enough analog directions available on the consoles. Obviously you need one 4 direction analog stick for flight controls, 1 analog direction for the throttle(The control pad uses the left analog stick but I seems to me it is acting as just a digital in the up down directions of the throttle), 4 analog directions for the hat and finally 2 directions for the rudder. 11 total directions. Unfortunatly thats 1 too many for the PS3 and 360.

I guess the AV8R was designed with too many analog directions so you could chose in its software which ones it used when used on a PC.

So anyway the AV8R has to have digital on/off rudder because all the extra analog directions are used up by the analog hat free look (you wouldn't really want an analog left rudder, digital right rudder or vice verse, would you). And the thrustmaster config has to be creative to find space for only 4 of the 8 digital buttons on the hat (I'm guessing it uses the 4 diagonal directions of the D-pad?)

I really think that both the AV8R config and Thrustmaster config will need to use one button as a shift key. So thrustmaster could have the whole 8 directions of the D-pad assigned to the hat free look, then hold a button and it would become wingman commands. The AV8R isn't as easy, it would need to have a button to switch from rudder control to free look but I think you would have to have the rudder on the hat because I'm not sure a duplicate control can be set for the stick twist to be the same as left/right on the hat.

Anyway you can really see how difficult it all is for the developers.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF_Lizard View Post
And if you're banked over, turning nicely on your target and you just want the tiniest feather of rudder to put lift/lower your nose, and Bam!, you've violently yawed 20 degrees and sprung back, slapping about in the air like a salmon.

I need an analogue rudder!
I had that problem with the Ace Edge, I just had to learn to be very lenient on the rudder. It's one of the few semi-unrealistic aspects of the game. The reality of rudders is that we use them all the time, and doing a hard rudder will very seldom put you into a flat spin. Maybe if you are already close to stall speed, but even then there's a little ruddering involved. When you get a commercial pilots license, you have to be able to enter and recover a spin. It's been a few years since I got mine, but I can't imagine them taking that out of the curriculum. The rocker switch on the Ace Edge seems to work ok with an exception: the rudder snaps back to center a little fast so you have to feed it back slowly, otherwise the plane jerks around a lot. However, I do have a question regarding stick use.
Why am I being outrun by a 190 in a P-51D. The 190 has better acceleration, but lower top speed. I have even marked my throttle to keep it out of the overheat range, but I still am not getting enough speed. It's close to stall during almost every single turn. I even jettisoned all of my rockets to see if that factored in. It gave me a few extra knots, but not enough. Is there something I am doing wrong with the Ace Edge that is not letting me get up to speed? You do lose a little speed in a real-life turn, but you don't lose 50% of it.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:44 AM
Approved Member

I use 2 fingers on the rudder for the Ace Edge as it allows you to gently control the spring pressure that wants to pull the rudder back to center.

As far as how it is able to handle all the required analog functions?.....I simply dont know.

I am able to run down the FW-190's ok in the mustang but it requires WEP the whole time and I usually try to start off on a perch (higher than the enemy)