Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Approved Member

Default Apache: Air Assault reviews and impressions

OK everyone who DLed A:AA tell us what you think...the good, bad, and the mediocre.

got this from the yuplay site: The Xbox demo kicks major ass, ..it's outstanding and my Ace Edge works very well with Apache: AA. "Nuff said, I gotta get back to the chopper.

Last edited by bobbysocks; 11-03-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Approved Member

Just this second finished work, noty even turned xbox on, came here first. Saw this....

xbox now on within seconds and demo downloading!!!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Approved Member

Okay last mission of demo is about half way trough. First you have to start with training difficulty and when you pass your first mission you open realistic which is must for this. First impression was, how would I put it... I waited too much. BUT after I opened realistic difficulty I was sold. Great sim even tho theres lots of learning ahead because of bop controls are stuck real deep in to my head. Graphics are like in bop, nothing special so far. But this is only a demo. Missions one training and two real missions are quite easy, with realistic too. Few trys because of crashing. I'm totally buying this!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage_016 View Post
Okay last mission of demo is about half way trough. First you have to start with training difficulty and when you pass your first mission you open realistic which is must for this. First impression was, how would I put it... I waited too much. BUT after I opened realistic difficulty I was sold. Great sim even tho theres lots of learning ahead because of bop controls are stuck real deep in to my head. Graphics are like in bop, nothing special so far. But this is only a demo. Missions one training and two real missions are quite easy, with realistic too. Few trys because of crashing. I'm totally buying this!
New PS3 yet Mage?...

MAC
Old 11-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Approved Member

So far I am loving the demo. There will be a learning curve for those not familiar with helos. For ps3 there are a few options for flying and looking because of the motion in the DS3, you can free look with controller or you can fly with movement. You can fly from any view including gunner, there is flight controls for both positions so no need to keep switching view.

I was having a time with figuring out the controls but I believe I got them except for one. How do you fire flares?

Also I love you can shoot from BVR. This is how if you haven't figured it out yet.

For PS3
Select target, (L1 & X), hold up on the d-pad to get a satellite view of target and then hit R1 to fire missile you can hold it there if you want to watch it blow up. I am glad the save screenshot feature is back. Thanks Gaijin I am going to buy, this is a defining moment for flight fanatics again thanks to these developers.

One thing I like is when you auto hover L3 click, you can hold down bottom d-pad and move right stick and your gun will move with your head and you can fire and zoom. Very well done IMO.

Now if I can just figure out how to fire flares.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACADEMIC View Post
New PS3 yet Mage?...

MAC
Actually I do have...
Old 11-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage_016 View Post
theres lots of learning ahead because of bop controls are stuck real deep in to my head.
Same here. The closer to the ground I get the more I forget throttle is controlled by the right stick.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Approved Member

Loving it thus far. Thought it'd be easy to control so went straight for realistic controls, managed to barrel roll and hit the floor quite quickly.

Slowly picked them up now and really getting into it. Will be playing this alot more tonight to master controls.

Great job gaijen, im loving it
Old 11-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Approved Member

Ok,
Having similar fixed wing mentality control issues (backwards? what is backwards?!) but other than that I'm enjoying it so far. The gun camera and FLIR can look spookily real at times, helicoter appears to handle like a helicopter and there's plenty to look at.

The music however, is awful, I already switched it off (better with whup whup whup anyway).

I'll be buying it just for the over the 'shoulder' apache view, which is very nice when it zooms in. (cockpit is pretty good too).
Old 11-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Approved Member

I really like the demo. I havn't bothered to try training difficulty, went straight for realistic (doesn't need unlocking). Control is challenging but I'm really starting to get the hang of it and doing some sweet moves. Its too easy now lol I need Sim mode.

Ive notice a few things on the xbox version. All three xbox joysticks (Av8r, fly9 and Ace edge) have their own control scheme. You can select to use any of them for any control device even the game pad lol which makes you spin around until you half press the right trigger. The dead zone is far smaller when using the joystick profiles and you don't have to press a button to activate freelook.

One thing I don't like is the throtle is Ace combat style if you use the gamepad. I really need BoP style set throttle. This means you cannot have 118% torque at the same time as rotating because the right stick is circular in it x-y axis. Also the fact that they moved the activate free look to the d pad down means you can't controll the left stick at the same time. I was happier it being on the right stick button. These things mean I will have to buy a stick now.

Ive found a really anoying bug too. Its in the sound effects. When you kill a bunch of ememy troops on the ground, very often their machine gun sound effect (which is way too loud in my opinion) will become stuck on leaving this very anoying sound, to make it worse you cant fly away from the noise, It seems to follow you along. I guess I noticed it because I turned the in game music off. Hope this is just a demo bug because it is VERY anoying. I actualy found exactly were the sound was coming from, landed, stopped the engine and the went to outside view when I spotted three dead guys right beside me.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 11-03-2010 at 07:34 PM.