Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Approved Member

Default Saitek Cyborg FLY 9 Wireless Flightstick - REVIEW

If you are reading this for the first time I would recommend that you read some of the observations/comments from those who bought this flightstick. I have left the review intact but be aware that some experienced identical problems/failure.

Compared to the Saitek AV8R (Xbox), two things will strike you when you remove the Cyborg FLY 9 from the box and handle it for the first time.

a) The physical size.

b) This looks and feels like the stick that IL*2 Birds of Prey deserves despite that it more than likely still uses Analog to Digital technolgy for the flight data.

General

It is physically larger than the AV8R and the design, choice of materials, construction are a big improvement and it comes with a 2 year warranty. The buttons have a solid precise feel to them and the yoke action is smooth and precise though, new out of the box, some may find it feels too firm compared to the AV8R, particularly if they have used the popular tie-wrap mod to reduce spring pressure.

Upon arrival the yoke is separate and attached quickly rotating the threaded locking ring. The yoke is manufactured using what looks like a 'soft touch' polymer that feels solid and comfortable compared to the AV8R. The Base is moulded from what appears to be the industry standard HD Polystyrene or similar.

Once assembled and batteries inserted (2 x AA supplied) you will need to 'activate' the FLY9 and get it to be recognised by the Xbox. This is done once by pressing the controller activate button (on the front of the Xbox) and then pressing the 'activate' button the flightstick. This button is located under the stick but is recessed behind a small aperture and accessed by pushing something small through this aperture (its location is not mentioned in the instruction manual!)
Its a well thought ergonomic design with adjustments for Yoke rake, Top Hat angle and Yoke height though I found it perfect as set up on arrival. The twist rudder action appears to share similar construction to the AV8R but I have no idea as to the the density or thickness of the materials used inside this part of the construction. However, I would advise fitting the optional contoured feet that curve over your lap/thigh to allow the flightstick 'movement' in the event that you are prone to exerting too much force.

[IMG]http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt341/Angeloevs

Flight Performance

In flight It feels more positive than the AV8R which, (probably due to wear) feels 'sloppy' in comparison.

Dead zone? Unfortunately this is an issue with the MS interface and most players have learned to live with that problem, it's certainly no worse than the AV8R.

As with the AV8R, you will need to select the mode for the various Xbox flight Sim titles with Mode 1 being assigned to BOP. OVER G Fighters is not listed in the manual whilst all the others (Ace Combat, Heroes, etc) are, whether this stick is actually compatible with Over G I cannot say.

In flight the five top Hat switches access Bombs, Rockets, Map, *Flaps/Select Target (*Simulator/Realistic) and Camera Target/*Trim (Realistic/*Simulator) with three marked in the familar Red, Yellow and Blue B, X, Y X-Box controller assignments.

The top hat also includes the POV camera and, due to the angle and proximity to the thumb, is far easier to manipulate compared with AV8R. These essential flight buttons are where you need them most! The exception to this the Zoom which I would have preferred to the Camera Target (or 'Trim' in Sim). All players will appreciate the default top hat switch set up compared to the AV8R but here, once again, Realistic/Arcade players would probably prefer the Zoom in place of the Map button.

Zoom and Cycle Views are located under and to the left of the Throttle control and this will mean training your little finger to acess or sliding your hand slight to the left of the throttle to use another finger. The D pad is mounted to the left of the throtte and, once again, has a much firmer and positive action than the AV8R (and a big + for MP) where you can easily access the D-Pad view functions.

It includes 'rumble' but I have this feature disabled so no comment on that.

Throttle control seems 'tighter' than the AV8R but this may be due to the fact its 'new out of the box'. Minimum value of throttle is the same as the AV8R at about 14%, below that it becomes 0%. (More comments on the Throttle below)

Conclusion

Any negatives? Just minor ones for me. The Zoom and Cycle views buttons are 'flush' and locating them with a finger (yet to be appointed and trained) are difficult to 'feel' for when using the throttle at the same time, some sort of nipple (or being set proud of the case) would have helped overcome this. As with all the joysticks for BOP (Xbox) the throttle data suffers from not latching the 0% value (it fades from the screen unlike the regular gamepad controller which latches this value when you hold the throttle at minimum) and hence 'no brakes' on flight sticks. The Headset socket is placed very close to the 'mode' switch in the same recess, thus when removing and fitting the headset the mode switch can easily be toggled to the incorrect mode without you knowing it, untill flight starts that is. Finally, for some people, being a dedicated Xbox only flightstick may be a problem.

This is 'Wireless' so keeping fresh batteries ready charged at the start of a long session might well be an idea even though this stick performed well with batteries in various states of charge. With a current consumption of 50ma I would expect good quality 1000 ma/hr AA cells to last approx 20hrs. I used it with re-chargeable AA types without any problems.

If you like a 'twist rudder' action, find the AV8R layout frustrating, are well organised with spare charged batteries then the Cyborg FLY 9 is definitely worth the extra cost.

Last edited by SEE; 07-26-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Approved Member

looks nice,is it better than the ace edge?.can someone confirm if it will work with over g..i hate how thats the only flight game that aint compatible with my ace edge
Old 03-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Approved Member

I have never tried the Ace Edge but since I have visit to MarkyBoyBassist planned (and he has one!) will let you know. My only problem with the Ace Edge is the Rudder control being switches rather than a twist action (but that is purely down to the fact that I am used to the twist action) and that it needs to be mounted on a flat surface whereas I prefer to have the stick on my lap. From what I have heard the AceEdge is well made which it should be considering the price when first released.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Approved Member

SEE whats the "feel" like with that stick? What I mean by that is how is the grip material and how does it move around in the base socket. Is it stiff, loose, sticky etc ?

And how is the button placement for the top faceplate?
Old 03-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Approved Member

"feel' is personal but this feels very precise with the pressure required to move around the axis being consistent and like driving a Rolls Royce comapred to the AV8R. The Yoke material is a 'soft touch' polymer' that feels very comfortable (almost like rubber) with excellent grip - I love it and it doesn't need the tie wrap mod IMO. The top Hat switches are excellent and all accessed using the thumb. From left to right.......Map, Bombs, Rockets, Select Target or Flaps (realistic/sim) and Target Camera/Trim (realistic/simulator). POV camera sits in the middle.

Last edited by SEE; 03-30-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Approved Member

good review see. something for me to consider a ways down the road.... plus i want to see how it stands the test of time ( and adrenalin pumped combat stress..haha).
Old 03-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Approved Member

Nice review.
Three things I'd like to know.
Is there a headphone/mic jack?
Does it have rumble feedback?
What does it cost?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Approved Member

Yes, incorporates Headphone/Mic jack and Rumble but no force feedback. R.R.P is just under 80-00 pounds but if you search google you will find them for less but many Discount suppliers are awaiting stock. I paid 71-00 pounds inc. P&P and next day delivery from Amazon. Cheapest I found was less but not in stock and P&P was extra.........its only been on the market for a few days so might be worth waiting.....I couldn't as my AV8R was driving me nuts and I simply cannot use a gamepad.....

Last edited by SEE; 04-04-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Approved Member

Thanks SEE.
I have an Ace Edge and really like it.
I just wish there was a flight stick for Over G.
It seems these sticks are going to work with After Burner Climax.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Approved Member

The way that the stick attaches to the gimbal on the F.L.Y. 9 reminds me of the old fashioned Cannon plugs used in World War Two era aircraft.