Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Approved Member

You can actually fly pretty far off the map, and it will scroll along. It's possible to race at least 100 miles probably.

I once took a me262 and flew it to France from Dover. The terrain was all there, exactly modeled and everything. It finally repointed my plane back towards Britain just as I was about to cross the coastline.

Stalingrad is another good one you can fly all over the place, and best of all the cities are all clearly marked on the map, so you could designate cities in the northeast, southeast, etc as waypoints. Better yet, use gumrak airfield as a pit stop, where you have to land there, stop and takeoff again after each lap, with a 1 minute penalty for any crash. The british airfields are too easy, no haystacks.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Approved Member

i have a good idea

do a 21 lap cicuit of kent (2 lap race thought id leave it up though to make you laugh)
dover to manston manston to canterbury canterbury to dover 2 lap race

and split it into classes

jets
fast prop planes (spit xiv la's,yaks, 109g10/k4)
med prop planes (spit II and IX, 109s up to g6, p47)
slow prop planes (hurri, il2, i16, i 153)
bombers
b17 only (this would be good)
and a po2 race

Last edited by haitch40; 02-14-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Approved Member

Had a look at korsun yesterday as this has some good river valleys and larger arch type bridges. It's probably more suited to short sprint races but it's still quite good and maybe worth considering as a venue.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Approved Member

oh btw going on my idea of if ur shot down or bail out you retire if you land at an airfield count it as a pitstop and allow the guy to bailout and continue with new plane
Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Approved Member

i like it... i would give it a go!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Approved Member

I think it's only fair we wait for wing commander dk to get back from his forced leave before we do this. Keep recon-ing though for potential circuits though.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Approved Member

Well dk, McQ, devilis and myself had a good reccy and a few practice runs on the winter in Stalingrad map last night. We got a pretty good track mapped out that takes between 5 and 6 minutes to do a lap. I think what became obvious last night was the differences in performance of the different aircraft and this would therefore have to be addressed prior to the start of any race. we mulled the idea of having different races in the same type of aircraft as this then eliminates the performance issue. All in all I think we made some good progress and had a pretty good laugh along the way too.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Approved Member

Yeah that was good fun last night.

I think if we exclude the jets its a two horse race between the K4 and the TA 152. The K4 looks to do the lap in about 5 and half minutes and the TA about 5 minutes 15 or so. The problem with TA is you really have to slow it down for the corners. It turns like a dog.

I have drawn a rough map of the course we ran in Stalingrad Winter and attached. We were starting parked under the most northern tributary bridge, out into the main river and down a course we marked with crashes before the race. I have traced the route in red and put blue marks where you need to mark with a crash.

Sorry for the poor artwork but once you get on the map it doesnt take too much to work it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StalingradRace.jpg (48.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwookie View Post
Yeah that was good fun last night.

I think if we exclude the jets its a two horse race between the K4 and the TA 152. The K4 looks to do the lap in about 5 and half minutes and the TA about 5 minutes 15 or so. The problem with TA is you really have to slow it down for the corners. It turns like a dog.

I have drawn a rough map of the course we ran in Stalingrad Winter and attached. We were starting parked under the most northern tributary bridge, out into the main river and down a course we marked with crashes before the race. I have traced the route in red and put blue marks where you need to mark with a crash.

Sorry for the poor artwork but once you get on the map it doesnt take too much to work it out.
ehem the la7 has a good chance against a k4 and ta
Old 02-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haitch40 View Post
ehem the la7 has a good chance against a k4 and ta
Sadly not, was tested last night. Too slow accelerating and was left for dead on the straights! Would be perfectly suited to a more twisty track as it can really hold speed in the turns though but as I said totally left for dust last night down the river.