Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite View Post
I think some are confusing OGF with AC6. One is a sim, one is arcade. It did have an arcade setting to simplify flight controls, but in the end it held you back so much it would probably just get you killed.
OGF has the best control layout on the controller as well. I don't know why flight games don't all use it. Brilliant game. I never thought I'd get done with Hell mode. I only wish we'd get another one or some dlc with more planes and missions.

Hey if you could post the control layout so when we get the patch we can copy this over to BOP because I don't like the AV8R layout.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndstone Hawk View Post
Hmm. Sounds as if you were indeed playing this great console SIM on the default arcade settings (and therefore was little surprise you were bored after 3 minutes), because with the copy of the game I have, there was no way you could leave the craft in an inverted state & go get your beer because if you did you would red-out very quickly followed by a quick inverted dive to terra-firma.
And yes; Energy Airforce & Over G are basically the same game; the energy airforce logo is present throughout the games interface & aircraft.

Referring to your 1st post on this topic; 3 minutes to form an opinion on a game that simulates a complex area such as flight (& done so very well with Over G & Energy Airforce) is a very clever gift to have. Not being a huge fan of Birds of Prey, it did take me a good, careful 6 or so hours before I could finally say 'nope, good graphics but little else'
Maybe I missed something, but I spent quite a bit of time with Over G and tried lotsa different settings before I traded it in. It's been a while, but I just don't remember the game having anything to do with flight, more like choose your space age weapons and blast away. It could be that the "flight" aspects of the game were too deeply buried in the window dressing for me to appreciate it. It's too bad, 'cause I really did want to like the game. I'm glad you're having some fun with it though. Different strokes and all that...

After reading Krypyonite's post, it is possible that I'm confusing OverG with AC6. I tried them both, and to be honest I couldn't find much difference and I traded in both. I've tried every flight game that's ever come out for 360, and BoP is the only one I still play. Not that BoP is all that much better, I just prefer it for some reason. Maybe I just like shooting Nazis.

Last edited by flynlion; 12-06-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynlion View Post
Maybe I missed something, but I spent quite a bit of time with Over G and tried lotsa different settings before I traded it in. It's been a while, but I just don't remember the game having anything to do with flight, more like choose your space age weapons and blast away. It could be that the "flight" aspects of the game were too deeply buried in the window dressing for me to appreciate it. It's too bad, 'cause I really did want to like the game. I'm glad you're having some fun with it though. Different strokes and all that...

After reading Krypyonite's post, it is possible that I'm confusing OverG with AC6. I tried them both, and to be honest I couldn't find much difference and I traded in both. I've tried every flight game that's ever come out for 360, and BoP is the only one I still play. Not that BoP is all that much better, I just prefer it for some reason. Maybe I just like shooting Nazis.
They are both very different. OverG is a sim for consoles AC6 is very arcadey.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:27 AM
Approved Member

Over-G control setup is: left analogue - elevators/ ailerons; left/right triggers - rudders; right analogue - free look; shoulder buttons - throttle. Other buttons switch armament types, HUD modes, viewpoint and fire missiles/guns. The D-Pad features change from a/c to a/c but generally include landing gear + flaps (no separate control of these), as well as a/c-specific functions such as arrestor hooks/stealth mode/AoA limiter etc. I know I'm forgetting some things but these are the basics.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk29 View Post
They are both very different. OverG is a sim for consoles AC6 is very arcadey.
I thought they were both very arcadey. I musta missed somethin'
Old 12-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynlion View Post

Respect your opinions & points.

A shame that you found AC6 & OGF to be similar. AC6 is, & always has been nothing but a dumbed down arcade OTT action fest but in its defense it doesn't hide this point but OGF IMO, was a very bold move in being as real as possible without the need for theatrics & OTT content etc.
I'd say AC6 & OGF are as different as say COD MW2 & Op Flashpoint.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araqiel View Post
Over-G control setup is: left analogue - elevators/ ailerons; left/right triggers - rudders; right analogue - free look; shoulder buttons - throttle. Other buttons switch armament types, HUD modes, viewpoint and fire missiles/guns. The D-Pad features change from a/c to a/c but generally include landing gear + flaps (no separate control of these), as well as a/c-specific functions such as arrestor hooks/stealth mode/AoA limiter etc. I know I'm forgetting some things but these are the basics.
Thanks this is basically AV8R layout except throttle goes back to 55% when you let off the buttons.

Which button fires cannon?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk29 View Post
Hey if you could post the control layout so when we get the patch we can copy this over to BOP because I don't like the AV8R layout.
The main thing (talking 360 controller here) is that the throttle was incremental up or down with the shoulder buttons. It would stay put like it should until you throttled up/down again. The triggers are the rudder control, which makes it very natural feeling. Other buttons control other operations, flare/chaff, guns etc. D-pad select targets, landing gear, special function for that plane (VTOL on F-35 for example). Y button cycled radar, and most importantly hold Y down to turn OFF the radar so you aren't radiating to every fighter in the area. Made a HUGE difference, especially in MP. We would play some guns/heatseeker only rounds that were a lot of fun. The Strike game type was excellent. Bomb bases/airstrips/AA weapons/enemy Navy while defending your own. AI would fill in empty teams (4 teams of 2 players). A central neutral island anyone could refuel, rearm at, as long as your base hasn't been taken out. Great game.

I'm certain flynlion is thinking Ace Combat. All weapons in OGF are realistic, not the rail guns and swarm missiles like AC6. LOL You could even over-arm an A-10 and barely get it off the ground, much less maneuver without risking dropping out of the sky like a rock.

OGF A-10 mission: (pretty long mission for OGF)

OGF F-15E, yeah, I'm on the burners pretty much the whole time.

AC6 A-10 mission, very different: But it sure is pretty. No, those aren't nukes. LOL

Last edited by Raw Kryptonite; 12-06-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Approved Member

Superb videos Kryptonite!!!!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Approved Member

OVER-G fighters is superb!

only thing i didnt like was the lack of any RAF aircraft top fly (though the JSF is in their i guess), that aside i absolutely love it.

It offers so much fun and even an element of skill. Taking an F14 to an enemy base with afterburners on all the way - you wont make it!! you have to have drop tanks. Without using burners you will comforably make it. I love how you get BINGO and have to return to an airfield or carrier to re arm and refuel.

Its hard to find games anymore, but when a game is going i'll be flying