Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Tips and Hints

Tips and Hints Different solutions, tips and hints.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Approved Member

I just want to jump in in defense of the warrior and improved rage box.

I have no idea about the strains at higher difficulty levels but I will talk about how it was on normal.

Early the shoal was pretty solid, mid-game the underground blades attack was doing enough damage to destroy a high percentage of enemy units. End game I had 111 rage and had developed soul kill enough to halve an enemy stack each turn for 70 rage (1 turn of rest).

So it can work well. Rage potions are not expensive and the ale worked for increasing rage levels.

In addition after I cast the rage spell I still have a regular spell per turn also. You can have at least one magic skill up to level 3.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the input guys. I will definitely try the Hypnotise/Sacrifice combo but there is a part of me that is wondering why I should spend my spells fiddling about like this when I could just nuke the enemy. But we'll see.

About leaving trading and trophies alone - well, I am undecided. I do know that Mind runes are a big problem for a Mage, they just don't seem to be as prevalent as Might runes on the adventure map. I know some people might have millions left over on Impossible but I only had 500,000 left at the end on my Hard Mage game, and I've relied on Trading 3 in the past to get full value from selling items. I had to put a point into Glory which was annoying because it's quite expensive. But I am thinking that I might not bother with Order Magic at all - I barely used it in my last game. Basically, I have played this game without using Resurrect/Sacrifice at all, and then read about other players who seem to use them all the time.

About heading into other areas quickly and leaving easy enemies alone, I will consider this. In terms of not losing many troops, I think I am coming to the end of my ability to do this effectively with my Fireball 1/Horsemen charge. I got to level 5 no problem but there are plenty of enemies in Verlon Forest who are going to take some troops (i.e. money) off of me. I just got Magic Pole Axe from a quest, but I would prefer to get Ghost Blade before killing the big turtle. I don't think I can avoid Order altogether but I think I might only put one point into it.

But the idea of picking up everything that can be looted in Freedom Islands is a good one. There are heaps of things you can get there without fighting at all. Obviously it will be necessary to kill the Kraken and King James in order to get to Kordar at all.

Then I will see if I can get into Demonis to find some Demon Portals.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travcm View Post
It seems to me like wasting runes on trading and trophies will just weaken you in the long run. I had millions of extra gold (w/o any points in trading or trophies until the end, when I had more mind runes than I could spend) on impossible with my Mage. If you are real concerned about money, you can just incorporate Marauders into your army.

Your starting army should probably be Archers, Priests, Inquisitors (if available)/Evil Eyes, Horsemen/Royal Snakes, Archmagi.

The problem with impossible is that you will have to spend a ton of time trying to sneak by everything to pick up rewards before you have a chance at killing it. Technically, you can get Demon Gate as soon as you have access to the Dwarf area (by sneaking around in the Demon world).

One big piece of advice is to save most of the easy, low exp battles for later on when you have the skull (essential) and other items that are activated by # of battles won.
The what? Do you mean the Orc artefact you get when you meet the Orc Sharman the 2nd time round in the Elven islands?
Old 10-17-2008, 02:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Bounty Hunter View Post
The what? Do you mean the Orc artefact you get when you meet the Orc Sharman the 2nd time round in the Elven islands?
The Skull that counts down from 100% before you can release the soul.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Approved Member

How does that skull work? I just bought it from the dwarven necromancer and didn't really understand the description.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Approved Member

My warrior is doing just fine on impossible. The strategy is pretty much slow, isolate and fire away, hitting melee only when there is no retaliation and I have initiative on my side. To this end I maxed the rage inflow early on so I could control the battle a bit more. The wall and ice thorns are very useful for minimizing losses as the AI would much rather walk around the thing, moving at one title per turn (slow) than attack it. I haven't given the mage a try yet but the war is very viable on impossible. The only difficulty I ran into was the turtle; running out of troops in the main castle. This is marginal as I feel the turtle is best confronted with big HP melee units. Archers are kinda weak against high defense targets and their HP pool is also kinda marginal compared to some of the melee units out there. So I mean if this was your first time around you might have had issues but then why are you playing on impossible the first time around....
Old 10-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Approved Member

That's cool, Sandsai. I had suspected that Warrior was much harder but as I haven't played as one I wasn't sure. This game actually rewards players with the Impossible skill level, as it's Hard but definitely NOT impossible.

Oh and I don't melee the Turtle at all as a Mage. I snipe and use Ghost Blade/Magic Pole Axe on it.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Approved Member

Okay, I am up to level 8 now and I've just defeated the Turtle using Fire Arrow 2 (can't use Fireball 2 on it which is annoying), as well as Inquisitors, Priests and Thorn Hunters (plus Royal Snakes and Swordsmen which mostly defended until the final round or so).

Things are going quite smoothly. I suppose a Mage on Impossible is going to have the lowest possible leadership in relation to the size of the enemy stacks, which means that most enemies in Darion are listed as Match, Slightly Stronger, Strong or Very Strong. And these are just the normal enemies that you would easily mop up on lower difficulties. Despite this, I have virtually managed to clear out Darion now, except for the usual things like Rezo's Tower, Abandoned Castle and Magic Range. I have a few more things to tidy up but I will certainly be level 9 when I go to Freedom Islands. I am a bit of an OCD player and I don't like loose ends, i.e. enemies wandering around.

I had wanted to have worked on Trophies and Trading by now, but a lack of Mind runes is stopped me from doing this. I don't know why, but Might runes seem much more common than Mind. I'm not sure if this is random or not. I think I will only put one point into Trophies, but I will definitely max Trading. I know some people don't think it's necessary but I hate selling items at less than full value. I tend to hand onto them until I have Trading 3 (not scrolls - you pretty much have to keep selling them or you can't buy anymore).

More importantly than the Mind tree is the Magic, of course. I have Chaos 2 (doesn't need Mind runes) and Distortion and Order 1. I am using Fireball 2 a lot at this early stage. In fact I think I may go straight to Chaos 3 as soon as I get more runes. I've got Kamikaze but I need Phantom in order to use the 'terrorist' trick that has been discussed in another thread.

I have had VERY good luck with Feanora's children. In past games I always seemed to get 'scroll children' from her, but this time I have 3 and they are:

+5 defense
+ 20% defense
+ 20% intellect

This is awesome! So I have 4 Attack, 14 Defense and 13 Intellect already.

I also got the belt which gives increase in morale to Priests and Inquisitors, and even better, something called the Banner of True Faith which was expensive at 60,000 gold but it gives I think +4 mana, +800 leadership and 10 Magic runes after 50 victories (48 to go, heh). So I have 3500 leadership already, which is awesome for a Mage this early. And if I can get to Chaos 3 soon, with about 70 mana I think I am ready to dominate much larger enemies.

Bring it on.

EDIT: the fourth child gave +20% mana, which is unbelievable. Feanora's children are so good this time I may have to keep them for the whole game!

Even better, when I got to Freedom Islands the king dude there had Ice Snake, so now I'm dealing 1430 damage plus 400 or so to adjacent squares. (I have got Chaos 3 now and 15 intellect). This is at level 9, remember. So I am sailing around the Western Islands picking up stuff and smashing about half of what I can see straight away. This is a domination...on Impossible

Last edited by Zhuangzi; 10-18-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhuangzi View Post
Okay, I am up to level 8 now and I've just defeated the Turtle using Fire Arrow 2 (can't use Fireball 2 on it which is annoying), as well as Inquisitors, Priests and Thorn Hunters (plus Royal Snakes and Swordsmen which mostly defended until the final round or so).

Things are going quite smoothly. I suppose a Mage on Impossible is going to have the lowest possible leadership in relation to the size of the enemy stacks, which means that most enemies in Darion are listed as Match, Slightly Stronger, Strong or Very Strong. And these are just the normal enemies that you would easily mop up on lower difficulties. Despite this, I have virtually managed to clear out Darion now, except for the usual things like Rezo's Tower, Abandoned Castle and Magic Range. I have a few more things to tidy up but I will certainly be level 9 when I go to Freedom Islands. I am a bit of an OCD player and I don't like loose ends, i.e. enemies wandering around.

I had wanted to have worked on Trophies and Trading by now, but a lack of Mind runes is stopped me from doing this. I don't know why, but Might runes seem much more common than Mind. I'm not sure if this is random or not. I think I will only put one point into Trophies, but I will definitely max Trading. I know some people don't think it's necessary but I hate selling items at less than full value. I tend to hand onto them until I have Trading 3 (not scrolls - you pretty much have to keep selling them or you can't buy anymore).

More importantly than the Mind tree is the Magic, of course. I have Chaos 2 (doesn't need Mind runes) and Distortion and Order 1. I am using Fireball 2 a lot at this early stage. In fact I think I may go straight to Chaos 3 as soon as I get more runes. I've got Kamikaze but I need Phantom in order to use the 'terrorist' trick that has been discussed in another thread.

I have had VERY good luck with Feanora's children. In past games I always seemed to get 'scroll children' from her, but this time I have 3 and they are:

+5 defense
+ 20% defense
+ 20% intellect

This is awesome! So I have 4 Attack, 14 Defense and 13 Intellect already.

I also got the belt which gives increase in morale to Priests and Inquisitors, and even better, something called the Banner of True Faith which was expensive at 60,000 gold but it gives I think +4 mana, +800 leadership and 10 Magic runes after 50 victories (48 to go, heh). So I have 3500 leadership already, which is awesome for a Mage this early. And if I can get to Chaos 3 soon, with about 70 mana I think I am ready to dominate much larger enemies.

Bring it on.

EDIT: the fourth child gave +20% mana, which is unbelievable. Feanora's children are so good this time I may have to keep them for the whole game!

Even better, when I got to Freedom Islands the king dude there had Ice Snake, so now I'm dealing 1430 damage plus 400 or so to adjacent squares. (I have got Chaos 3 now and 15 intellect). This is at level 9, remember. So I am sailing around the Western Islands picking up stuff and smashing about half of what I can see straight away. This is a domination...on Impossible
This actually convinced me to get a mage started, so far so good, except I have a sneaky suspicion I am going to get + scroll kids.

On a side note, Firefox now thinks mage is a misspelled word for some odd reason...
Old 10-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsai View Post
This actually convinced me to get a mage started, so far so good, except I have a sneaky suspicion I am going to get + scroll kids.
Started mage as well and took frog wife. My kids, first +scrolls, second +exp, third plus rage. Finally 4th was +defense so it wasn't that bad. I guess I have to try beating kraken early to get new wife. lol