Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 05-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Approved Member

Seriously guys who cares what mags gave what review to this or any other game,if you like the game stuff the reviews lol.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:48 AM
Approved Member

Latest review of Men of War. Adrenaline Vault gave 8/10 and "Buy it" recommendation!
"If you’re an RTS fan who wants a little more control over a game, you should probably pick this up." - summarizes the author.
You can find the review here.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

I notice none of the reviews say "terrible patch support" or "you'll wait forever for a patch depending on your location in the world". i think a reviewer should try and patch their game and write how that went. Here's my review:

A patch was finally released to fix the many problems that shipped with the game but they released it in choppy, haphazard way and some versions (such as mine in Australia) are still yet to even get a working patch. It seems to me that support and bugs has ruined this game and I worry that future releases will go the same way unless they sack everyone and start again.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Dutch website PC GameSpecial posted a very long and deep review about Men of War, giving it a full 86/100 score, after testing it quite some time.
I wrote it myself and I hope someone here comments on it, here's a translated version: Google Translate
Original can be found here.

''Men of War stands on the list of PC Games of which we can be proud''
Old 07-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Approved Member

Another great score for Men of War. Game Debate reviewed Mow and gave 9/10!!!
"To those who enjoy ridiculously hardcore strategy games, requiring a week skived off work because a single battle can last two days; then I say Men of War is the game for you." - summarizes the author.
You can find whole review here.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Pelit give to Men of war 92/100 points. And "Pelit suosittelee" (recommend)

http://www.pelit.fi/index.php?id=70101 Whole rewiew in Finnish.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Approved Member

Computergames.ro review - 90/100 (Editor's Choice Gold Award)
Full article (English) here.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Just finished the Soviet campain, I must say it was impressive, very well thought and done- simply loved the ending cinematics with all the guys dancing traditional russian in Berlin, with flashes to the pain they went through until this point.

I think this is the best game I've played since Shogun-Total War and Cossacks- European Wars, that's like 8 years ago or more! My sincere congrats for it!

I only have two observations:

1. As many others mentioned, think it needs a Skirmish mode
2. Regarding units inventory, I think there should be an auto-manage option which enables units to automatically search for at least basic stuff like ammo for their weapons and maybe bandages too. If not, at least to have an icon above their heads with 'NO AMMO' and possibly 'No Bandages' too for the troops that are out of them, that's because in a battle involving many troops, it's almost impossible to check each unit individually if he has ammo, bandages & stuff. SO what I suggest, when not under fire the troops with no ammo should automatically scavage the nearby dead units for it if auto-manage inventory option is on. Other than that, I like the inventory idea which gives a RPG feeling to it, combined with direct control option---lack of auto-manage to it draws it back abit in large scale battles. Just my tought, others may say scavaging for things is part of the game charisma-yes but after a while you don't want to do that any more as you did it too many times and becomes booring.

Sorry if I used the wrong forum for my comment, to fit in, I'll give it a 9.7/10
Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Epic game, 10/10
Old 06-20-2010, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

i only picked this game because i was bored, i said to myself 'pick this up play through it in a day and then go back to playing company, medeival 2 and the other great games' little did i know what was waiting for me. were as many say company of heros is better than this game, i think CP is no match for men of war, if only it had a more user friendly tools an touches.

the amount of work and tought that has been put on this game to provide it with depth and realism is far ahead of anything i've seen before, had this game had a few minor features it'd probably replace cp as the top wwii rts. and i really hope to see the next instalment having these improvment, so as to reduce the liklihood of people finding it too demanding.

so here are a couple of my own ideas:

before i start i'd like to just say MOW was far better than Red Tide because some changes were made in the wrong direction, and since i've completed MOW and am more than half way through RT i'd say that NONE OF THE EXISTING FEATURES SHOULD BE REMOVED.

micro managing units is one of this games strongest points, it is also it's weakest. especially in RT were your men will always run out of ammo. this is a cool feature, and it is realistic. but then try rearming 50 men, in the heat of battle, with little time before the enemies next attack. (i've successfully rearmed large groups of men by slowing the game down and hitting the pause key sevaral times per in game second, and i did not enjoy it, neither will anyone who tries) isnt there another way to make your troops replenish themslves with as few clicks as possiple?

my idea is that there should a new inventory mechanism, for example you equip your lone soldier with 10 med kits, 1 smg, 300 rounds, 4 ap granedes and 4 normal ones, now he is ready for battle. after some time when you wish to rearm him and his comrades, instead of selecting each and then going to a dead body or crate, consider if you could just click save inventory when he was carrying full equipment, then when you want him to replenish you click replenish and the select and area, your man will automatically go to that area and search for what he needs within it's boundries, he will only take a specific item if he has less than the saved amount, and he will only search within the area specified, when finishe he returns to his original position. so you didnt have to click though 10 bodies and 5 crates (some of which you have already looted). a feature like that will cut my mission time by atleast 30min. the same could be applied to tanks, some of the crew will exit go and fetch the right munitions and even feul from nearby disabled enemy tanks. with a saved inventory they will only carry he specified amount so there is enough left to go around. the specific area to loot from will mean your men will not venture into dangerous ground in search of suplies. and you will use the slow time feature less often as it reduces game enjoyment.

the other area this game needs improvement is sound, voice acting is cold and out of context (even terrible), red tide also changed some of the sound effects but again in the wrong direction, the old ones where better.

several important items are also extremely rare in this game, two inperticular, are mine detectors, and barrels in which to store fuel, typically every veihcle should have atleast one (they always did).

ok i'm getting sleepy but i'll probably write a few more points latter.

ps. the people who cocieved and designed this game should be proud of themselves, this is really the best piece of wwii strategy game ever, perhaps better than all modern warfare rts games.