Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Approved Member

Default Trying to add an RPG element to BoP, advice please

Myself and a friend have been "free flying" on BoP today and enjoyed it immensely.

We discussed adding an RPG element to the game to make it more enjoyable and more serious for us but couldnt really think of how to implement it. I figured asking here would help greatly since the collective mind here is incredible

Any ideas of how we could do it?

So far we had a quick game where we started off from Manston (on the taxi way) in Blenhiems. Problems with taxi ing while on the ground though hindered things somewhat. So we switched to the A20.

Starting on the taxi way, was pulled onto the runway one at a time, once the first had the all clear from air traffic (RPG element kicking in haha) to take off, he did so and then once airbourne held a holding pattern around the airfield while the second player took to the runway and then got airbourne, joining my lonesome one man formation.

From their we then headed to France, no particular target, we just flew together and then once over Calais turned back towards the SW of England (to make the trip more authentic and last longer) once their we found a target, dropped bombs then turned around, headed back over the ocean to france, then from their made the trip back to Manston.

All this to try and increase the game length and make it more interesting. Flying to France first just gives the effect of flying over the channel etc adding to the realism.

My question is...

Some of you guys (more specifically you PS3 players) do missions etc anyway, well how could any of you improve upon what we just did? How could we make it better. Obviously enemies would help....

Any help or criticism would be gladly taken on board.

Many thanks guys.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Approved Member

Think you on the right lines with what you started to do. Most of the ideas we have come from free flying around the maps. For example the England map has Canterbury on it which isn't even used in the single player game nor do any of the online games get close to it during gameplay. The Berlin and Stalingrad maps are equally vast so it's a case of flying round spotting things and developing the game ideas from there. As a starter for you we've done Reichstag raids (Berlin), Red October factory raids (Stalingrad) and the recent Pottsdam raids (Berlin). Each has been done within the correct historical period and as such players have picked aircraft accordingly. The last pottsdam one we deliberately made post war so any side could fly anything but that was a one off..and pretty good fun actually!
If anything get a group together and go free fly and see what comes from it... If nothing else it's just nice to take it the work of the devs which during normal online combat you never really get to see.
Happy to help with any ideas and suggestions if you want them.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
Think you on the right lines with what you started to do. Most of the ideas we have come from free flying around the maps. For example the England map has Canterbury on it which isn't even used in the single player game nor do any of the online games get close to it during gameplay. The Berlin and Stalingrad maps are equally vast so it's a case of flying round spotting things and developing the game ideas from there. As a starter for you we've done Reichstag raids (Berlin), Red October factory raids (Stalingrad) and the recent Pottsdam raids (Berlin). Each has been done within the correct historical period and as such players have picked aircraft accordingly. The last pottsdam one we deliberately made post war so any side could fly anything but that was a one off..and pretty good fun actually!
If anything get a group together and go free fly and see what comes from it... If nothing else it's just nice to take it the work of the devs which during normal online combat you never really get to see.
Happy to help with any ideas and suggestions if you want them.
Cheers Gilly, helps appreciated! I've seen how much fun you guys have with your games, so trying to "borrow" a PS3 for a week or two so that i can perhaps see how you guys do it on sim. You do seem to have more in depth games.

Anyway... we tried flying from Manston-Calais-SW england-Calais-Manston

The "SW england" being the chosen target to bomb. We found though that once formed up over the channel, we solely had to rely on compass readings and knowledge of the are to get to Calais due to not appearing on the minimap. All in all it was good fun, though long.

To improve we may try the following -

Fly HE-III's from Manston, Manston being a pretend base in France. We fly from Manston to Calais, then turn round... the target then being somewhere in the UK, once bombs have gone we turn round and head back to Calais before turning back form Manston our home base.

Theirs so much potential to be had its just finding the right balance really.

Thanks again for the help its greatly appreciated
Old 06-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Approved Member

The he111s is a good idea. You'll find manston and hawkinge are about the same distance from cantebury so if the Brits start at hawkinge and Germans mansion you reach cantebury at about the same time- aim is then to bomb and then try and reach the French coastline (which in a 111 is f'ing hard!!!)
If you do grab a PS let me know and I'll be only too happy to give you a tour.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Approved Member

Cheers Gilly will look into it, will some a quick recon mission and find the best route etc haha. The ideas are great.

If the PS3 thing happens then i'll glady take you up on your offer, it'll be great to see how the guys on the oher console fly. A bit like lend/lease haha.

Still in shock that you guys cant set up private rooms to play in, i nealry chocked on my brew when you just told me!! Getting rid of unwanted players would be a nightmare!!

Still... you guys seem to cope well enough and im glad your all enjoying flyingon the PS3 as much as us... patch or not

How about...

HE-111-6 for all bomber pilots, but for the "leader" a HE-111-16 Due to same loadout etc but different camo, this would then make him stand out to the enemy as the lead flight? Much like back during the war when they had markings on the wing regarding rank etc
Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Approved Member

I guess private rooms is something we've longed for. It's yet another work around we've had to adapt too!! Adding players to your block list does 99% of the time stop the clowns getting in but private lobby's would be in the words of monty python 'Luxury'
As for the 111's good idea. We've tended to year limit the aircraft to 1940 when we've done these which would prevent the H16 but also ensures no IL10's, arados etc (sadly this is to safeguard on guys joining (due to public lobby) not knowing what we're trying to achieve). PS IL2 has it's pain too!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOZ_1983 View Post
Myself and a friend have been "free flying" on BoP today and enjoyed it immensely.

We discussed adding an RPG element to the game to make it more enjoyable and more serious for us but couldnt really think of how to implement it. I figured asking here would help greatly since the collective mind here is incredible

Any ideas of how we could do it?

So far we had a quick game where we started off from Manston (on the taxi way) in Blenhiems. Problems with taxi ing while on the ground though hindered things somewhat. So we switched to the A20.

Starting on the taxi way, was pulled onto the runway one at a time, once the first had the all clear from air traffic (RPG element kicking in haha) to take off, he did so and then once airbourne held a holding pattern around the airfield while the second player took to the runway and then got airbourne, joining my lonesome one man formation.

From their we then headed to France, no particular target, we just flew together and then once over Calais turned back towards the SW of England (to make the trip more authentic and last longer) once their we found a target, dropped bombs then turned around, headed back over the ocean to france, then from their made the trip back to Manston.

All this to try and increase the game length and make it more interesting. Flying to France first just gives the effect of flying over the channel etc adding to the realism.

My question is...

Some of you guys (more specifically you PS3 players) do missions etc anyway, well how could any of you improve upon what we just did? How could we make it better. Obviously enemies would help....

Any help or criticism would be gladly taken on board.

Many thanks guys.
You might be a MOD or might have a friend who might be a mod.

You might insinuate I am gay because I was offended by your "joke"

Your friend my make fun of my dogma, and your other buddy instigates fights, but your all horrible for the way you act.

Give me liberty or just ban me from as you put it in the tread that got deleted "the mods forum" use to think of it as our forum but I was wrong.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

I went wrong when I tried to make that kid feel better since no one tried to help him with his joystick problem, as well as when I disapproved of ousting, name calling, bigotry, bulling, instigation, and prejudice comments.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBlackDeathQ View Post
You might be a MOD or might have a friend who might be a mod. You might insinuate I am gay because I was offended by your "joke"

Your friend my make fun of my dogma, and your other buddy instigates fights, but your all horrible for the way you act.

Give me liberty or just ban me from as you put it in the tread that got deleted "the mods forum" use to think of it as our forum but I was wrong.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

I went wrong when I tried to make that kid feel better since no one tried to help him with his joystick problem, as well as when I disapproved of ousting, name calling, bigotry, bulling, instigation, and prejudice comments.
You've openly said in another thread that you wouldnt post in one of our threads, nor want us to post in yours.

I said NO!! By all means post in any thread if it helped anything the thread was about. I have no issues with you posting here but the above? WHAT does it have to do with my thread? If you want to come out with such acusations then fine, freedom of speech etc etc i get it,but do it in PM if you must, not in a public thread.

AT what point did i claim to be or imply that i am or i am friends with a MOD?

AT what point did i insinuate that you were gay?

What i HAVE done which im now regretting!!!! Is telling a certain MOD, NOT to ban you because your a valuable member of the forum, that your posts are helpful etc.

All you have done here is ruined a thread, congrats to you.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
You've openly said in another thread that you wouldnt post in one of our threads, nor want us to post in yours.

I said NO!! By all means post in any thread if it helped anything the thread was about. I have no issues with you posting here but the above? WHAT does it have to do with my thread? If you want to come out with such acusations then fine, freedom of speech etc etc i get it,but do it in PM if you must, not in a public thread.

What i HAVE done which im now regretting!!!! Is telling a certain MOD, NOT to ban you because your a valuable member of the forum, that your posts are helpful etc.

Then why the heck did you post in mine? right before it magically vanished?

Hypocritical piece of work you are!
Old 06-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Approved Member

Angry

Quote:

NO don't do me any favors please! Let the mod ban me! I have already delegated most of my posts here.

Go back to the other post and read what you said.

IF I get banned for standing up for myself, my religion and my right to free speech as well as trying to help others so be it!

Last edited by QBlackDeathQ; 06-20-2011 at 02:38 PM.