Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

Default Great Job on the Me-109!

So I bought the sim two days ago and I'd been mostly messing around in the spitfires and hurricanes. Let me say this sim looks great so far. Bugs aside, this thing is going to be awesome. I've been an Il-2 sim fan since it came out 10 years ago and I'm treating Cliffs of Dover like a beta: my philosophy is that all flight sims come out as betas and I think many others users would benefit from this concept as well. Case in point, when the DCS guys released DCS A-10C they made a pretty smart move. They basically stated that, "this is a beta release and we know it has tons of issues, which is why we offering it at this point to those interested in helping out our dev team iron all it's wrinkles." By doing so they curbed everyone's expectations and we all got to help make what is now by far the best jet sim since Falcon: Allied Force. Point being, this sim can be just like that. It looks great and the dev team clearly is headed in the right direction. Lots of work is needed but there is no reason this sim can't be up to snuff in a year with the help of it's users and it's dedicated team of developers.

Right so the Me-109. Very cool. It took me awhile to get a handle on how the variable pitch prop works and of course, just like with Spitfire, the first time I strapped on the 109 I promptly blew out it's engine. I'm one of the many guys out there who likes to set everything on realistic from the onset, mostly because I don't want to start bad habits, but once I spent some time on the ground with it with the engine at idle I was able to sort out how the whole thing works. Just from the couple hours I spent doing touch and goes and getting the feel of what the aircraft likes, I can already tell there are going to be some deadly 109 drivers showing up in the near future. It's a quick little devil and has plenty of power. What I enjoy about it most so far is the complex engine management (I haven't even shot at anything in it yet ). One thing that always bugged me about the 109 was lack of rudder trim. I'm normally a P-51 driver in Il-1946 and without rudder trim you can pretty much kiss getting max performance in it good by. The cool thing about the 109 w/ its variable pitch prop is that you don't really need the rudder trim. All a pilot has to do is find the right prop pitch and she'll be trimmed out and not skidding all over the sky. Before my final landing I put the aircraft in a dive and attempted to see how far I could push her. Of course, as I expected, I hurt her. From what I can tell I blew a manifold seal and/or stressed out the engine mount. Either way, I was clearly showing secondary detonations outside of the right exhaust manifold and was experiencing some heavy vibrations in the pit.

Great job on this sim so far please keep up the good work. To those who are annoyed by this sim still being a work in progress just try and think of it as a beta thus far. Don't get bent out of shape because resentment is just the poison you take with the intent of harming others. Thanks again

Last edited by VA_Azazel; 07-21-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Ali Fish

very well said. regards the beta aspect and getting bent out of shape through lack of communication. its a bit more complicated than that. We dont have the attention to detail in multiple areas that eagle dynamics bring to there business. namely community integration. But youve put alot into a proper context. well said.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_Azazel View Post
To those who are annoyed by this sim still being a work in progress just try and think of it as a beta thus far:
Yep im sure those who have been playing it all these months and testing thus far do
Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Tvrdi

I guess I would feel similar to topic starter If I bought this sim two days ago...But I didnt......pfft

..and yes, like I said FM and DM are great...engine management and so...best part of the sim...
Old 07-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvrdi View Post
I guess I would feel similar to topic starter If I bought this sim two days ago...But I didnt......pfft
Yeah, I had to wait for the state side release. Ignore my giddiness
Old 07-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Approved Member

No, its great to see the enthusiasm! I am hoping to get mine back soon.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_Azazel View Post
Great job on this sim so far please keep up the good work. To those who are annoyed by this sim still being a work in progress just try and think of it as a beta thus far. Don't get bent out of shape because resentment is just the poison you take with the intent of harming others. Thanks again
Welcome and thanks for posting! I am sure the sim will deliver much more joyful days to you if you keep your positive attitude! You do not seem to be a kind of person easily discouraged by difficulties! WTG!

Check out excellent offline campaigns created by community here http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=203 and welcome to Repka servers if you are an onliner (keep forest switched off online till sound patch comes out).

S!

Last edited by Ataros; 07-21-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Approved Member

i like the 109 as a fighter over the Spit and Hurri (keeping the FIAT beside ) espacially because i can read its big rpm and MFP gauges much better then the english ones

and with CEM on, that can be vital
Old 07-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Approved Member

Welcome
totally agree
and very nice post
Old 07-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehawk View Post
If you like her now, wait until they get the FM's closer to historical values! Everything except the Spit II is a bit underpowered right now.
I noticed the first couple two versions of the spits were a bit sluggish but they'll get there with FMs. Good times ahead.