Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Approved Member

Default experience so far......

Hello all,
As a U.S. customer who just got the game 2 days ago, i‘m happy to report so far I'm enjoying the game!!
I have been a Il-2 fan for quite some time since my middle school in 2004, but I have mostly been a casual player, for example I flew offline most of the time and never used CEM in the old IL-2. I can't believe how fast time has gone by because I still remember taking off for the first time in Bf-109F, and i nosed in and crashed on the run way a couple of times before finally made it off. The feeling was soooo rewarding and the realism really astonished me back then.

Yesterday i made a quick intercept mission in Full Mission Builder, just to test somethings like CEM and see how the new game is different from the old one. That astonishing feeling really came back!! It took me some time to get my G940 set up. I messed around with CEM quite a bit, clicked around in the cockpit. I honestly have to admit it is a lot of fun, and graphics look a loooot nicer than the original Il-2. Before I got the game I thought the terrain would be really annoying but it turned out when I'm actually in the cockpit flying, my attention wouldn't be so much on the terrain (the greenness) than on my dashboard and enemy planes. Really the CEM would give you a full plate!!

Now I have few questions I encountered while playing yesterday.
1. How do I adjust the gunsight range based on my convergence 250? On spitfire there is only "increase" and "decrease" gunsight range, but how do i tell how far it is set to? Some general comments on how to use the gunsight are also welcome! as i never got in deep and messed around with gunsight and convergence in the old Il-2 series.

2. Right after I took off in 109, the engine started shaking very badly, and 30 seconds later, a message "Governor Failure" appeared. I had both of my radiator open. What could be the cause?

3. I noticed that in 109 you can't adjust the pitch? I press increase and decrease pitch but the nob always comes back to its original position?

4. Is there anyway to change the location of the texts? as of now all 3 of the messages are overlapping each other on the top left of the screen.

5. What's the difference between oil radiator and radiator?

6. What is a healthy temperature for oil and water?

7. What's a good way of taking screenshots without all the texts and engine setting?

That is all for now. Gtg take a final exam

Hope you guys r enjoying the game as well!

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Ali Fish

1. check the control settings.(these keys are on the num keypad.)
2.not sure
3. its a switch level, hold it to apply pitch. for 109 check the prop pitch angle indicator guage.
4. press alt and left click mouse. a right click context sensitive menu will then appear when window is active and right clicking on it. a wealth of options before you.
5. the non oil is the water radiator.
6. varies for different aircraft. keep it @ 90-100 i reckon.
7. i use the steam screenshot system. check your steam menus. apply a push to take screenshots key see comment 4 to remove UI info.

dont forget to read the manual too

Last edited by Ali Fish; 07-21-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Approved Member

Regrading 2:
It's probably that you stayed on the ground for too long before taking off. Remember, radiators don't really work when air isn't going through them.

So even though you had them open, there just wasn't enough time to cool the engine down when you finally took off.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Approved Member

You can set the range of each individual gun, as well as the belting in the arming screen. You can also set up favorite loadouts for later selection (although I'm not sure how well this works yet, it was still a little buggy last time I tried it).

as for the prop lever on the 109, I believe that you have to hold it while the prop adjusts, so you might need to modify your joystick profile for a "continuous" press (if that's what your using). And as for the blown 109 engine: Watch those rpm's!. This bird is 100% manual, you have to adjust the throttle and prop to keep the rpm's in a safe range.

If I recall correctly you need to open the oil radiator all the way on the 109 as well. Oh, yeah the oil radiator is exactly what it sounds like, many aircraft have a separate radiator to cool the oil.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoilfx View Post
Regrading 2:
It's probably that you stayed on the ground for too long before taking off. Remember, radiators don't really work when air isn't going through them.

So even though you had them open, there just wasn't enough time to cool the engine down when you finally took off.
Actually, I'm willing to bet that since the OP didn't know how to set prop pitch, he was over revving the engine. Make sure ATA guage stays under 2500 ATA. You can briefly go over but prolonged periods would result in exactly what you described. I usually keep ata between 2300 and 2400 ATA.

-Gollum
Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Approved Member

Post Answer to question 2

Quote:
Actually, I'm willing to bet that since the OP didn't know how to set prop pitch, he was over revving the engine. Make sure ATA guage stays under 2500 ATA. You can briefly go over but prolonged periods would result in exactly what you described. I usually keep ata between 2300 and 2400 ATA.

-Gollum
Probably right... but to help you out... what i do atm:

1. the key or axis you have set for prop pitch - press/ move the axis so that the prop pitch stays at 12:00
2. Select fuel cock - found on the bottom left side of the cockpit instrument panel (silver)
3. Set throttle to 5%
4. Start engine
5. Open Oil rad to full (yellow knob found near you "left leg")
6. Open Water rad to full (turn wheel near your "right leg")
7. Take off

Hope that makes sense!

Ross
Old 07-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Approved Member

I hope we all read the first post.

That is what I call positive thinking!
Old 07-21-2011, 03:35 PM
71st_Mastiff

I got to say aside some very annoying bugs and issues I enjoyed some real good MP on Syndicates server. aside from the chasing ghost planes for 2 hours I gave up in there this morning what a shame would be a good MP server if it were not for the ghost planes.

But I will never give up!
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back "
Asus||i7x5930k||16gb3200||GTX10808gb||ATX1200Corsa ir||CBTitanium7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr4Pro/ir||gladiator pro mkII||siatekpedals||X52Throttle||G15Keyboard/RazerMouse||
32"LCD||2x7" lilliputs,1x9inc
Old 07-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF_Mastiff View Post
I got to say aside some very annoying bugs and issues I enjoyed some real good MP on Syndicates server. aside from the chasing ghost planes for 2 hours I gave up in there this morning what a shame would be a good MP server if it were not for the ghost planes.

But I will never give up!
Thought the ghost dots were sorted?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Approved Member

Nope I see them too.