Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Approved Member

Default This game works, when it wants

Can somebody tell me why game performance is different sometimes.

Let me explain:

I just booted my computer, launch steam and game(nothing else), going to crosscountry mission, my game is reallysmooth, full 60 fps and really smooth on very low level flight

Next time when i launch game and steam(nothing else), going to crosscountry i got max.40fps and when flying at very low level, game is it not smooth, there is rubberband effect, i mean no stutter but its not smooth like when i got steady 60fps.

Next time it can be good again and so on, this is really weird thing, any other with same problem. I'll use fraps to check fps. Usually first try if i see it's not smooth i quit game and go into windows and restart the game without booting it can be smooth again.

I just start the game on same computer settings, same mission and time, all is same, sometimes it's not working well and sometimes it's smooth and then it's really nice to fly.

Why the game textures is loading after mission starts, really annoying that stutter, i must pan around and wait to get it smooth, first sim when i see something like that. Sometimes in MP it can take very long with that starting stutter.

Last edited by Kankkis; 07-20-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Approved Member

A temperamental game..., no serious, maybe RAM. This Sim is a monster always hungry of RAM and without limits.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Tree_UK

Use an old version of fraps, the last patch killed the later versions.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehawk View Post
Also, check your CPU & GPU temps. All else being equal, the game should run exactly the same every boot, but if you're pushing your temps, both processors will experience degradation.
Good point.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankkis View Post
Why the game textures is loading after mission starts, really annoying that stutter, i must pan around and wait to get it smooth, first sim when i see something like that.
Texture loading after starting a game does happen in some games from time to time, although it is rare these days.
Not that it should really matter, but have you checked to see that for example your antivirus isn't performing backround tasks or another quite intensive program isn't running in the backround?
Old 07-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
Texture loading after starting a game does happen in some games from time to time, although it is rare these days.
Not that it should really matter, but have you checked to see that for example your antivirus isn't performing backround tasks or another quite intensive program isn't running in the backround?
Yeah, tested it without antivir and other programs, i can live with texture loading but it's somehow weird, even when y look planes in menus, i dont remember menuname but even there plane textures come in very slowly

Game is good looking but i think performance is not near what it can be.

All other games is very flyidy on my machine. RoF with supersampling, A-10 allmost max setting and so on.

When we had good performance we have diamond in our hands and i believe that the devs is making their best and we have very very good sim.

Last edited by Kankkis; 07-20-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankkis View Post
, i can live with texture loading but it's somehow weird,
If I'm not mistaken, the 5970 has 1gb of vram on each gpu, which although 2gb total, still is recognised as 1gb by the game.
What texture detail are you running?

I've found that I have initial texture loading with anything higher than 'medium' texture settings, courtesy of lacking sufficient vram for higher settings.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the 5970 has 1gb of vram on each gpu, which although 2gb total, still is recognised as 1gb by the game.
What texture detail are you running?

I've found that I have initial texture loading with anything higher than 'medium' texture settings, courtesy of lacking sufficient vram for higher settings.
I think Kankkis is using full screen while I am using pseudo full screen to disable my xfire atm.... we have similar systems but apparently completely different experiences....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
I think Kankkis is using full screen while I am using pseudo full screen to disable my xfire atm.... we have similar systems but apparently completely different experiences....
Oh yeah, I forgot about the whole full screen/pseudo full screen thing.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Approved Member

FYI I get the 60 to 40 fps drop as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.