Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 PM
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy_ View Post
I hear you. You have to know that it is the effect of big piracy numbers from the IL2 age. Oleg Maddox and Luthier did post some numbers back then to fill us in on how many copies were actually downloaded. Don`t quote me on this one, but I think I read that 50% of flying folks on Hyperlobby were pirated copies.

I too do not endorse Steam. I have Race07 and CloD in it, period. The only big pros of this system I see is the DVD being intact and VAC ban mechanism that may be a good way to steer cheaters away from the online games. If you`d see my posts on Ubi forums you`d see that I said Steam is no buy for me. Eventually I had to eat my hat as to imo this is the best way, but certainly not perfect.

I remember them saying that, and that I apparently fit they're criteria of a pirate because I was using a cracked executable even though I bought everything they sold so I'm not sure how accurate their estimate really was.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango2delta View Post
Hello All,
I just got the U.S DVD version and there is nothing but steam on it, what is a steam ? and had to download the game from steam. I sould not have to download it when i pay $49.00 for it to be on DVD. Anyway, the game is awsome and i am getting good FR with grass and shadows turned off and every thing else is on medium, i am getting lots of errors and crashes from steam, and not the game it self. I really wanted the game to be like IL-2 1946without the hassle, steam is the problem with the game. 1C Maddox done a fine simulator for-sure, 5 OUT OF 5 SCORE but my game goes back to store for refund becouse of me haveing to use steam. the game will never run right no matter what 1c team does until they lose steam app. (never)

ASSUS MOTHER BOARD
i7 950 3.6 gHZ
4 GIG RAM
ATI 5770
WINDOW 7 32 BIT
(p.s - dont blame your problems on steam out of ignorrance).

Last edited by Sneaksie; 07-22-2011 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Insulted other member
Old 07-22-2011, 02:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliocon View Post
(p.s - dont blame your problems on steam out of ignorrance).
"ignorance"
Old 07-22-2011, 02:41 AM
Approved Member

I frigging love steam.

The single best backup I had for games. I lose things, you know. Passwords, settings, discs, cd keys, operating systems, hard drives .

Every game I have on Steam, can be restored to the exact state and settings i have, on any computer I want, simply by typing in my Steam user ID and password.

Don't need to chase no stinking patches, cd keys, or settings all over the place.
Steam does everything for me.

I love it.
EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked+ACX cooler.
8GB G.Skill ripjaws DDR3-1600
Crucial M4 128GB SSD+Crucial M4 256GB SSD
Seagate 750GB HDD
CH Fighterstick+CH Pro pedals+Saitek X45
Win7 64bit
Old 07-22-2011, 03:49 AM
71st_Mastiff

remember everyone the Cloud is coming its a big brother at their finest. The Cloud will allow Cable companies to start charging utility fees for more usage. data going up and down from user to cloud fields. Not A very good idea. There trying to kill Hard drives and prevent piracy with the cloud usage.
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back "
Asus||i7x5930k||16gb3200||GTX10808gb||ATX1200Corsa ir||CBTitanium7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr4Pro/ir||gladiator pro mkII||siatekpedals||X52Throttle||G15Keyboard/RazerMouse||
32"LCD||2x7" lilliputs,1x9inc
Old 07-22-2011, 04:35 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF_Mastiff View Post
remember everyone the Cloud is coming its a big brother at their finest. The Cloud will allow Cable companies to start charging utility fees for more usage. data going up and down from user to cloud fields. Not A very good idea. There trying to kill Hard drives and prevent piracy with the cloud usage.
As long as we have competition between providers they'll have a hard time doing what they want "to us". Sprint has bought up Boost and Virgin, AT&T and T Mobile are trying to merger. Fewer competitors has always meant more money for the big companies.

The cable companies know precisely how much time we use now, along with every other statistic you can dream of is available to them.
Competition keeps the price down.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:44 AM
Approved Member

steam is awesome but

for my copy of halflife 2 and portal 1 + 2 , I like the patches.

But since my pc sucks, I've had to reimage it a few times.

my experience with steam is the convenience, but sometimes its glitchy. About 40 ish or half my game installs via steam d/l have some glitch vs me doing DVD install + patching on my own.

i'm all about a hard copy, plus even if you have a 10 mb/s d/l it still takes years and you can't surf the net on it.

My gaming buddies gave up on steam for their main source for games as multi gig d/w (they are hardcore games, they work and game) as the ISP slap them with fees or low ball their d/l for breaking their limits . . .
Old 07-22-2011, 06:02 AM
Approved Member

I freaking love Steam to, I'm to the point I won't buy a game if its not on there. No messing with updates, login to any PC to access your games, unlimited D/L's, Deals, No stacks of game boxes in my office...whats not to like
Old 07-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF_Mastiff View Post
The actual 'Steam Cloud' that can be enabled in-game only moves a few kb of config files around (and I turn that off anyway), it's not the same as a cloud-based application or true cloud based storage.

V.A.C. and TAGES are being used to kill piracy (in CloD at least).
Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Approved Member

Tages is not used anymore, it was patched out a while ago.

Overall, Steam has some bad and some good points.

The things i dislike most are:
1) You can't roll back to a previous version if you don't spent GB upon GB taking backups of your games

2) The fact that it reverts to automatic updates each time i run and exit the sim and i have to manually set it back to not update (i prefer to see if there's an update first, backup my version and then enable updates to get the new one)

3) It needs to be run every single time you run your games. It should just be a distribution platform and multiplayer matchmaking service, not a mandatory executable for offline use. I know it works in offline mode and doesn't take up much resources, it still bugs me that i can't just double click on the CoD icon for some single player fun and have to go through Steam login all the time.

The good things are:
1) Their experience as a multiplayer framework, which would possibly mean in the future it will be easy to run multiple mods on different servers without having to have multiple installs of the game.

2) Their anti-cheat controls will make it easier to distinguish between valid mods and cheats.

3) Most of the annoying fluff in the steam interface can be disabled.