Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Approved Member

Default U.S Version and Steam

Hello All,
I just got the U.S DVD version and there is nothing but steam on it, what is a steam ? and had to download the game from steam. I sould not have to download it when i pay $49.00 for it to be on DVD. Anyway, the game is awsome and i am getting good FR with grass and shadows turned off and every thing else is on medium, i am getting lots of errors and crashes from steam, and not the game it self. I really wanted the game to be like IL-2 1946without the hassle, steam is the problem with the game. 1C Maddox done a fine simulator for-sure, 5 OUT OF 5 SCORE but my game goes back to store for refund becouse of me haveing to use steam. the game will never run right no matter what 1c team does until they lose steam app. (never)

ASSUS MOTHER BOARD
i7 950 3.6 gHZ
4 GIG RAM
ATI 5770
WINDOW 7 32 BIT
Old 07-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Approved Member

You can not notice Steam if it is set up properly. Disable all the annoying features and forget about it. It does not influence gameplay.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataros View Post
You can not notice Steam if it is set up properly. Disable all the annoying features and forget about it. It does not influence gameplay.
I disabled 'steam community' and 'steam cloud support' for IL-2 CloD and I have not had any Steam related problems. (I play SP so I don't know about the server disconnects )
Old 07-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Approved Member

Default my erra is fixed with steam thanks guys !

lol, i lied. There is no way in hell im takeing this bad-boy back, i waited 2 long to play it. Running it on a 40" SONY HDTV. I found some bugs, one on the bf109 right wing when i put the flaps down and then raise them back up again, something sticking through the wing every now and then. i do not know how to take in game screenshots yet, but when i do i will try to post them with a description if intrerested.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehawk View Post
That thing sticking through the wing is the pin that helps you see where your water radiator flaps are set. It has marks, at full open, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, and closed. The pin extended up means that your radiators are closed, and flush with the wing means full open (and creating a good bit of drag).
thanks mate, i was wondering about that. very cool indeed
Old 07-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash2099 View Post
haha...that got me too
Old 07-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango2delta View Post
Hello All,
I just got the U.S DVD version and there is nothing but steam on it, what is a steam ? and had to download the game from steam. I sould not have to download it when i pay $49.00 for it to be on DVD. Anyway, the game is awsome and i am getting good FR with grass and shadows turned off and every thing else is on medium, i am getting lots of errors and crashes from steam, and not the game it self. I really wanted the game to be like IL-2 1946without the hassle, steam is the problem with the game. 1C Maddox done a fine simulator for-sure, 5 OUT OF 5 SCORE but my game goes back to store for refund becouse of me haveing to use steam. the game will never run right no matter what 1c team does until they lose steam app. (never)
Hi mate

If you had to download the entire game from steam even though you bought a DVD version, there is a workaround. It is a common enough problem with Steam games (not just Cliffs of Dover). The quote below is from the Steam Technical forums;

"Using Steam launch options to install retail games from disc

Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
Insert the first disc into your computer.
Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
Press Windows Key + R to open Run
In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

Note:
This process is only intended for retail store bought copies of Steam games (ie. Left 4 Dead, Modern Warfare 2). It will not work for backup discs of any Steam games"

Its probably handy to know if you ever have to re-install as this will save you some time and internet bandwith.

cheers
Old 07-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash2099 View Post
Sometimes, more often than one thinks, its not a bug, but a feature
Old 07-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Approved Member

I cant stand having to use steam also just to play this game. Yeah I know it works fine using steam, but making us have to use steam is just dumb. This method will not be the future. It is only an easier way out to distribute the game and for multiplayer setup.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorak View Post
I cant stand having to use steam also just to play this game. Yeah I know it works fine using steam, but making us have to use steam is just dumb. This method will not be the future. It is only an easier way out to distribute the game and for multiplayer setup.
I hear you. You have to know that it is the effect of big piracy numbers from the IL2 age. Oleg Maddox and Luthier did post some numbers back then to fill us in on how many copies were actually downloaded. Don`t quote me on this one, but I think I read that 50% of flying folks on Hyperlobby were pirated copies.

I too do not endorse Steam. I have Race07 and CloD in it, period. The only big pros of this system I see is the DVD being intact and VAC ban mechanism that may be a good way to steer cheaters away from the online games. If you`d see my posts on Ubi forums you`d see that I said Steam is no buy for me. Eventually I had to eat my hat as to imo this is the best way, but certainly not perfect.