Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Approved Member

Default Great FPS, still stuttering.

So I've finally managed to be happy with my settings, 1920x1080, everything on High, shadows off, grass off, land texture at High (not original), AA 2X. During 'the black death' I get roughly an average of 50-55 fps with SLI, which is pretty damn good, though I miss the depth that shadows lends to a scene.

The thing is though, the land passing by is still stuttering with constant micro stutters. I had assumed a high framerate would fix this ? If I focus on aircraft during track playback it's super smooth, but as soon as I focus my attention to any ground object you can see really obvious stuttering which I think contributes to the overall poor performance 'feeling' I get playing this game even though the fps is above acceptable. What would be causing this ?

I have turned off AA, Vsync, buildings to medium, turned off SLI and it made no difference to ground stuttering though it did improve slightly with all the good stuff off.

PC Specs: Windows 7 64bit, i7 960 at 3.7ghz, 6gb Ram, 2 x gtx 470, asus rampage mobo.

I really hope they're still working on performance, this game should run a lot better IMO on the above system.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Approved Member

I really hope they're still working on performance
I think thats all they should work on, at the moment
there so much still not right with performance
Old 07-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Approved Member

I would like to describe what you're noticing as a "rubber-band effect". It doesn't matter how good your FPS are, the ground still looks like it's doing long jumps. In a game without these rubber-band issues you only need like 30 FPS for a smooth experience. I too have reasonable FPS at medium settings but it's still rubber-banding like there's no tomorrow.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Tree_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetGang View Post
So I've finally managed to be happy with my settings, 1920x1080, everything on High, shadows off, grass off, land texture at High (not original), AA 2X. During 'the black death' I get roughly an average of 50-55 fps with SLI, which is pretty damn good, though I miss the depth that shadows lends to a scene.

The thing is though, the land passing by is still stuttering with constant micro stutters. I had assumed a high framerate would fix this ? If I focus on aircraft during track playback it's super smooth, but as soon as I focus my attention to any ground object you can see really obvious stuttering which I think contributes to the overall poor performance 'feeling' I get playing this game even though the fps is above acceptable. What would be causing this ?

I have turned off AA, Vsync, buildings to medium, turned off SLI and it made no difference to ground stuttering though it did improve slightly with all the good stuff off.

PC Specs: Windows 7 64bit, i7 960 at 3.7ghz, 6gb Ram, 2 x gtx 470, asus rampage mobo.

I really hope they're still working on performance, this game should run a lot better IMO on the above system.
Same here its just bad coding I think, hopefully they will get it sorted in the next year or so.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Approved Member

I also feel that FPS is good on my system, but the stuttering is getting in the way of a smooth experience. Personally, my top two improvements presently would be performance related (ie, fix stuttering) and better support of AA.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

I don't have this "ground stutters" with higher settings than you, in a 560 Ti. Something is wrong.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addman View Post
I would like to describe what you're noticing as a "rubber-band effect". It doesn't matter how good your FPS are, the ground still looks like it's doing long jumps. In a game without these rubber-band issues you only need like 30 FPS for a smooth experience. I too have reasonable FPS at medium settings but it's still rubber-banding like there's no tomorrow.
That's pretty much a spot-on description of what I'm experiencing. It's almost the same effect I get in 1946 when I turn supersampling up too high, it runs great but the ground jerks around.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
.I really hope they're still working on performance, this game should run a lot better IMO on the above system.

Same here good fps, stutters as strong as ever although i really don't get the super great fps unless i drop the res one spot. From what im reading these days it seems that great FPS at 1920X1080 res needs either 2G or more single card or 2.5G crossfire or SLI set up. sadly i just missed the mark
Old 07-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Approved Member

Same here.

The stuttering decreases somewhat if I run in Pseudo fullscreen (with Aero turned off)
Overall performance is still worse than a few patches ago regardless of texture quality.

I5@3.3Ghz
GTX285
8GB RAM
Win7 64

Last edited by Luffe; 07-23-2011 at 05:47 PM.