Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danelov View Post
A temperamental game..., no serious, maybe RAM. This Sim is a monster always hungry of RAM and without limits.
Interesting that they went with a 32 bit game... Hmmm 64 bit anyone?
Old 07-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Approved Member

I've seen similar texture loading in batches (gradually going from low detail or even completely missing textures to high detail) when flying FSX at very high detail settings with 3rd party scenery add-ons on a friend's PC, that's how i identified it as the main culprit for stutters and low FPS and reduced my texture size appropriately.

I think that it's a two-pronged deal here. It might be possible to further optimize the texture loading system and if/when we get a 64 bit executable have it utilize more RAM, swapping textures between RAM and GPU instead of hard disk and GPU and alllowing us to run higher texture sizes. It might also be possible to optimize texture size in bytes without compromising quality but this is a more long term work.

In the meantime, dropping textures from original to high or medium resolves a lot of problems and results in smooth gameplay, at least for people not using dual GPU setups.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Approved Member

This is just from memory but didnt Luthier once mention the landscape loading in blocks of 100KM or something?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Approved Member

Yeah im using fullscreen, i got better performance with pseudo because then it disable crossfire, there is plenty of games what doesen't suppot crossfire but this is first game with crossfire is poorer than 1gpu same card, CRAZY. I mean crossfire doesen't need straight support to work faster than 1gpu same card, this is first game when crossfire is slower than same card with 1gpu.

With pseudo i cannot use vsync and i got terrible tearing, this is reason why i use fullscreen.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Approved Member

I'd say this game still needs alot of tweaking, Performance wise
Old 07-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Approved Member

Greetings to all Bob COD owners and new USA customers....and 22 Onlineplayers in the US
Old 07-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Approved Member

I'm pretty sure CoD is masterpiece someday, when optimized and more singleplayer content is available i'll play it much in sp and mp.
Now it is on the shelf for waiting better days, i know devs know when it is in good shape it's start to sell very well and long time seller, just like IL2.

I know devs are working very hard with the game and i just want to thank them for that, long days and so on. I'm sure they do what they can but it is enough? I'm pretty sure it is.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Approved Member

Many of us have experienced strange drops in fps and general performance over time, whether whilst playing or over time between sessions.

Many things have been theorised. None have been confirmed. Basically the game code is terrible and there's nothing we can do about it.

It's another case of 'wait for a patch'. As for me, I give up - I'm sick and tired of the way the game (barely) runs. I'll come back in 6 months and see if anything's changed.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:33 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
This is just from memory but didnt Luthier once mention the landscape loading in blocks of 100KM or something?
It's loading in square blocks, true, but i find that texture loading also affects aircraft interiors. First time i ran the sim, a couple of days after the EU release and still unpatched (no way to turn down texture size yet), i could see the cockpit in the twin engined bombers loading a little at a time.

Ever since we got the ability to turn down texture detail/size i've had stable performance and good FPS, at least on my rig it's the setting with the highest effect on these factors.

I'm not even running something stellar mind you, just a good, middle of the road PC i put together two years ago:

i7 920 @ 2.7 GHz (stock clock speeds)
Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard
MSI Cyclone Ati 4890 1GB
Win7 x64 on the slower drive (long story, i used to dual boot), a 1.5TB WD low RPM drive
games on the faster drive, a 1.5TB Seagate barracuda
and only 3GB of RAM