Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:47 AM
Approved Member

Default Hawker Hurricane.

I'm a little late to react on the last Bob SoW "22nd Oct". update, I'm still recovering from a far east Jet lag. ; )

First of all I would like to thank Oleg and his team from their exceptional work.

I have some observations and questions on the cockpit screens of the flying Hawker Hurricane Mk I.

1. Does the Artificial Horizon tumble down ?

On the second Hurricane screen, if we look through the canopy, outside the window, the aero plane seems to be in a steep right hand turn (> 90°)
with quite a nose down attitude (pointing to the sea). Now if we have a look to the artificial horizon, the bank looks correct but the attitude is showing a nose up attitude.

Does the artificial horizon shown on this screens, be a gyro gimbals model that when striking the physical stops start to tumble if not caged ?

2. Engine management

Or more precisely fuel management.

On the Merlin III instruments panel installed on the right hand side of the forward cockpit, the engine instruments seem to be showing indications of a
running engine with 3100 RPM, 5.4 lbs pressure of boost, 90 lbs of oil pressure, Oil temp 85°, RAD Temp 100°.
But the reading on the fuel pressure gauge indicates 0 lbs, as it could be on a fail gauge.

Now if we have a look at the fuel cock control on the left side of the cockpit :
the fuel cock switch seems to be represented on the OFF position (9 O'clock position).

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/attachm...9&d=1287754248

3. Pneumatic

As we all know, the firing and braking control system of the Hurricane is pneumatic.
Pushing the fire button or using the brake lever situated on the spade grip activate the correspondent pneumatic line, one for each system.

Have a closer look on the control column, are those pneumatic lines been represented like on this Hurricane Mk II diagram ?

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/attachm...2&d=1287754268

Again, many thanks to Oleg and the Dev' team for the marvelous and splendid job they are doing with this new game.

Rodolphe

Edit : Pictures and Diagram added

Last edited by Rodolphe; 11-22-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Approved Member

tumbled AH- here's hoping! my thinking on this screenshot would be the plane is in a spin-apart from the turn /slip indicator negative G might account for the zero fuel pressure?

fuel cock is in the 'reserve on' position- the off position is by rotating 180 anticlockwise (and pressing the spring loaded 'off' catch to reach this position)

air pipes certainly seem to be missing

added my own comments in the thread (probably lost in the 'chatter')about a few other minor annomalies- the 'major' one being red cardinal point markings on the compass- they were 'white' (not red) with the north marking being under a red square (for fighters- the larger bomber type had a red inverted triangle). however it does now have just 2 parallel wires instead of the later T pattern so Oleg does listen

+1000 to the thanks to the team working on this- they are doing a very very good job
Old 10-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolox View Post
fuel cock is in the 'reserve on' position- the off position is by rotating 180 anticlockwise (and pressing the spring loaded 'off' catch to reach this position)
Not sure your assessment is correct.

Though I've never had this fuel cock in hand, on the 2 pictures here above I think the cock in OFF position.

For clarification, I'll name the left part of the fuel cock the "Hammer Head" (the little cylinder in dark red colour on Oleg's screen), and the hollow right hand side, the "Handle" (in dark grey).

So from the OFF position shown on those pictures if you rotate the cock clockwise you do not need to press the catch to open the fuel valve to MAIN TANKS ON or RESERVE ON positions.
The "Hammer Head" can easily move.

If you rotate the cock anticlockwise from one of these later positions, you definitely need to press the metal catch to be able to slide the "Hammer Head" to the OFF position.
This catch should avoid to shut the fuel off in flight inadvertently.

Rodolphe

Last edited by Rodolphe; 10-29-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Approved Member

you're right- sorry for causing confusion
Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 AM
Approved Member

No worries mate

Extract from the Hawker Hurricane Mk I Merlin II manual A.P. 1564A

Old 10-31-2010, 03:33 AM
Approved Member

Now there is a classic example of bad design. If it confuses us sitting calmly in front of a PC, what must it have done to the poor b*gg*rs trying to fly the thing?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Approved Member

i suggest if you research this situation in and existing il2 game, that would very likely answer your question.