Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:36 PM
Approved Member

Default Gun sights for US fighters

Hi just a few questions on gun sights.
1. Although corsair and wildcat-4 are using the same standard navy sights, only the inner ring on corsair's sight is visible. The outer ring is barely visible, obscured by the glass. To see the outer ring, one needs shift or tilt left or right. F4F-4's full gunsight is visible unless you move too far to either side. Any way to get the full sight out on corsair.

2. F4F-3's sight is different from the rest of the navy. It looks like a ring and dot sight on an army plane. I wonder if I can use the same ranging technique as in army's.

3. Also, is USAAF's sight a 70mil one? Meaning a zero wingtip to wingtip across the circle is 171 meters away. For FW190, it's 150 meters.

4.What deflection angle doesn't the ring on USAAF's sight represent? 20deg or 30deg.

5. The deflection angle on the navy sight is 20deg for outer ring and 10 for inner ring?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Approved Member

Just to show my points on corsair's gunsight. Please see attached pics. 01 shows partial gunsight that I currently have. As you may see, the outer ring cannot be completely seen. 02 shows a full sight. Both of them are captured in game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F4u gunsight01.jpg (16.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg F4u gunsight02.jpg (10.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 09-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Approved Member

yea id like to know answer too, to the burning question in our minds...

why so many lines and circles in the Navy gunsight mk8?

You feel like you cant even see thru it, there's too much stuff in that gunsight. When enemy is making slight evasive move (e.g. pushing rudder or slight dive). Maybe I'm a noob at gunnery but I like P-47D-27 gunsight more, simple circle and aiming dot in centre.

at least with 4.12 patch, you can decrease gunsight light level, so I could try that out.

you are correct in your post btw. In older 4.11 patches, the gunsight of corsair is not fully visible, either with gunsight centered (shift+1) or freeley floating view. With floiating view, and track IR, you can barely get half of the thickness, of the outermost ring, visible. (but you must mash your face just in front of trackir device basically)

in 4.12 the entire gunsight is visisble in centered view, at least, and quite good also in floating view.

Last edited by Laurwin; 09-25-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Approved Member

Oh, I see. 4.12 fixed it.
Actually, the navy's sight is pretty good. Very helpful in aiding aiming. If you are good at estimating range and deflection angle, the sight can't be a very lethal tool.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Approved Member

Yes, wildcat's gunsight is the same as regular us army air corps gunsight. You can see this, and the answer to yourr question about deflection angle in the gunsight, with a neat peogram called snipers corner. You download it e.g. From mission4today. It is an excel sheet which calculates deflection gunnery solutions for most planes and gunaights in the game.

One tging it naturally didnt do was e.g. In hsfx mod, the p47d (without numeral) actually has unique gunsight from any other plane. This gunsight seems to be smaller circle than normal army gunsight. In that mod yocan use gyro deflection gunsight in that thunderbolt also.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for letting me know the tool. But I had trouble using it. I changed some of the parameters but the gunsight picture on the right doesn't change at all. Do I need hit a button or recalc for the picture to refresh?
Old 10-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Approved Member

Yea same kind of "freezeup" happens to me also sometimes.

Key factors as far as I understood are
-correct shooting range
-same conv as shooting range
-try to estimate enemy plane's speed (e.g. All zekes in this game will geenerally always je slower than bf109s( generally speaking)
-case in point, usually 90deg deflection enemies are flying slower than their own max speed, because pullin Gs slows them down when turning.

-then finally eastimate the as correct deflection angle as possible. The program can only portray "stick figure aircraft" so you will likely need to practice this angle estimation ingame more.

- heres an interesting point though, to note. Where on the enemy, do you aim?
In my honest opinion you should always aim at the nose(propeller) of enemy fighters.

Reason for this is, you will still hit usually the enemy, if you only made a SMALL misjudgement. This gives you a little bit leeway and you will at least damage the enemy plane.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Approved Member

How do I unfreeze the "freezeup"?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Approved Member

ehh, try to change some parameter, or alt + TAB out of program.

for me it always worked the best, if I write manually the values, into the yellow colored fields in the excel sheet.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:25 AM
Approved Member

With depth perception and two off set eye's the sight wouldn't be a problem.

It was the same, and the F-4F-3 in a swarm of Zero's convinced the Navy deflection shooting needed to be vastly improved. Deflections were all your going to get.

USAAF's N-9 was 100 mil, also known as the 100 mile sight, 50 mils or half the sight translated to 100 miles per hour. For every 100 mph your adversary is traveling, 90 degrees at full deflection, you add another radii distance to your lead.

For angles you compensate.

90 - 60 degrees, full deflection

60 - 30, use 3/4 of full deflection

30 - 15, 1/2 of full deflection

15 - 0, 1/4 of full deflection

Being a 100 mil sight, a fifty foot wing span will fill 50 mils, foot per mil, if you know the type and wing span or fuselage length, you can range it.

Posted charts that might interest you here, homework was already done long ago.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...00-25-3527.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...00-25-3526.jpg

Just remember center the ball, and the Army considered it a waste of time to fire banked beyond the first tick on your bank and angle indicator, at least early in the war.

Navy's Mk-8, the lines are 300 mils, outer circle 200, inner 100. The little lines within the inner 100 mil circle are 25 mils. Length of one complete unbroken line 125 mils.

Use the 2/3 rule with this sight, enemy traveling estimated 300 Knots, use 200 mils lead. Use the same deflection rules as above, but remember this one is set up to use knots as reference speed.

Both sights basic rules, enemy diving estimate for maximum combat speed, and for continuous climbing figure 3/4 of normal cruise speed. Know your opponents type of aircraft speed abilities, tail high, he's fast near combat speeds, tail low cruise speed. Don't know how well that's modeled in game. Study the enemy you expect by dimensions, wing and length, and speeds, than you can range and gauge him.