Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Approved Member

Default The perfect FOV in dogfight

I was wondering... I'm going at least 4-5 times a week on hyperlobby and I noticed that the enemies don't miss a shot.. Every time two or three strafe and u're down... I think this is the result of using a very small FOV while aiming/shooting... Am I right? Maybe they use a large FOV to spot contact and a small FOV while shooting.. Am I right?
If not can anybody tell me how they do this?
What FOV do you all use while in dogfight?
Old 07-07-2013, 02:20 AM
Approved Member

You should collect statistics and scores. Average hits is closer to 2 to 5% than 100%.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Approved Member

Default Fov

Use a TrackIR device, it works for me.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Approved Member

So you don't use zoom while in dog?
I already have TrackIR
Old 07-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Approved Member

Zoom for 'sniping' (eg: trying to 'needle' the pilot).
Normal FOV for most shooting..
Small FOV for the DF and normal flying.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Approved Member

Changing Fov when you are looking for ground targets can really help.

At a fixed point, a LOD may be visible in one Fov, but not another.

I have found it really helps me.

As to shooting planes, snap shots i always stay in wide (where i fly 99% of the time), but most of the time i go to gunsight, almost never use normal.

Still have to know where to put the pipper, and then be able to actually do it, regardless of what the Fov is though.

Fov will never be a magic trick.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:50 AM
Approved Member

If you don't have the range and relative motion right then a real good look through the sight won't do you much good, and full zoom makes knowing those more difficult.

Then there's slip which is super-easy to get into even if just because you used rudder to move the sight sideways just before you shoot. The bullets will not go where the pipper is when you have slip but with luck the target will be moving to match or you be good enough to account for slip or the slip will be so slight and range so close it hardly matters.

Aerial gunnery is a problem is 3D and time. Poor shooters go for close in at the tail of a plane moving directly away to get hits that don't rely on luck. If the target doesn't cooperate then the fight becomes an energy dance and if the target has a rear gunner just see how well sitting off the tail at 200m or less works out for you.

See how steady the pipper and plane are when you try adjusting aim and speed quickly for a shot. Compare that to how it is when you are flying without horsing the nose around. I get better luck when flying the pipper out ahead of a target whose relative motion (to my pipper) is taking it towards the pipper. Knowing about how long my shots will take to reach the point that the target will be, I trigger just before then and give it a burst. Usually I get hits. Usually they're from one side into the target and because of that they are usually more effective than hits the tail. I go for the engine and pilot, IL2 tail wheel assemblies soak up loads of hits.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Approved Member

I use zoom-in only for an aimed shot on plane parts (i.e. wings), if I have the time to.
Mostly I fly in Normal FoV, as it gives me the best immersion of a cramped cockpit.

----------------------------------------------
For bugreports, help and support contact:
daidalos.team@googlemail.com

For modelers - The IL-2 standard modeling specifications:
IL-Modeling Bible
Old 07-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Approved Member

I may be a bit over equipped when it comes to controllers, but my current setup (CH Combatstick, Pro Pedals, Pro Throttle and Throttle Quad combined with the CH Manager software into two Controllers) allows me over forty buttons to play with, and I have one on the stick for Toggling FOV and one each on the Throttle for Wide and Gunsight Views. I use the stick button for leisurely moments when I'm scanning the area, and the immediate Wide to Gunsight view shift for shooting longer range shots.

A good HOTAS setup allows you enough buttons to react quickly in combat; control your engine & aircraft (throttle, props, mixture, trim), shoot or drop your ordnance, and maintain your awareness of things around you (ie, FOVs, toggling gunsight). All the other stuff can be done from the keyboard.

If you're getting serious about this sim, a good HOTAS, TrackIR and pedals are going to be very useful.

cheers

horseback
Old 07-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racetrack View Post
I was wondering... I'm going at least 4-5 times a week on hyperlobby and I noticed that the enemies don't miss a shot.. Every time two or three strafe and u're down...
The perfect FOV in dogfight ??

Long ago in "the golden age" of Spits vs 109 server.
I knew one of the best pilots of the server, he "never" failed a Shot

Then I asked "what is your FOV for the shot" ?

Then he answered me, "The most important thing is the size of the monitor not the FOV, If you can not hit any plane with FOV 90, you will need a larger monitor. "

He had 50-inch Monitor / TV.