Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameson View Post
Well that's the point I'm trying to make, 109's are porked. At full power in game (110%), we only get what in RL a 109g could achieve at 1.3ata. In RL you could still push the throttle out to 1.42ata for brief periods. IIRC at 1.42ata max level speed was about 580kph, the climb rate must have been pretty amazing as well.
There are some planes that could go well beyond the 110% throttle setting.

Yes I have noticed that most planes seem to be slower then the official rated speed. The Russian planes seem to be exempt from this.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palidian View Post
There are some planes that could go well beyond the 110% throttle setting.

Yes I have noticed that most planes seem to be slower then the official rated speed. The Russian planes seem to be exempt from this.
Since real planes don't have throttle in percent, i curious as to how you arrive at the statement above. Manifold pressure/boost/ATA and rpm and fuel are the relevant factors.

As to top speeds,

1) top speed is at a certain altitude,

2) its in TAS

Something that numerous people seem not to understand.

As to this idea that Russian planes are exempt, enjoy your conspiracy theory. For every 'red' plane thats uber, I can point to examples of a 'blue' plane thats uber, and vice versa.

Top speeds for planes is not an exact thing, depends on many factors, configuration of the plane, You can easily find several different 'top speeds' listed for example, the spit mk 1, all depends on which test you look at.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Approved Member

The other point is to be careful of documented top speeds in online sites or mass produced coffee table books.

Even if they are not just wrong, they can often be based on what that aircraft can do at optimal altitude, air pressure, temp etc with no ammo or munitions, sometimes no guns or armor and minimal fuel running a new engine and high octane fuel (the Griffon for example needs 21psi boost and 150 octane to achieve its max rated performance) not always readily available in a wartime situation, especially to the VVS or LW.

In other words the "book" speeds are more like what you would expect from a plane prepared for the equivalent of Reno air racing rather than a typical military sorty during wartime.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Since real planes don't have throttle in percent,
It is not uncommon to rate aircraft engine settings in percentage power.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitbat View Post
Since real planes don't have throttle in percent, i curious as to how you arrive at the statement above. Manifold pressure/boost/ATA and rpm and fuel are the relevant factors.

As to top speeds,

1) top speed is at a certain altitude,

2) its in TAS

Something that numerous people seem not to understand.

As to this idea that Russian planes are exempt, enjoy your conspiracy theory. For every 'red' plane thats uber, I can point to examples of a 'blue' plane thats uber, and vice versa.

Top speeds for planes is not an exact thing, depends on many factors, configuration of the plane, You can easily find several different 'top speeds' listed for example, the spit mk 1, all depends on which test you look at.
No conspiracy theory here, its a fact.

All I know is in game that my 417 mph plane gets outrun by a Russian 403 mph plane, so I changed to a 437 mph aircraft and still got outrun, by the same 403 mph plane. Where a 410 mph Japanese plane gets left in the dust. How does one explain that? Something is wrong with the aircraft models.

You are correct that top speed is a factor of many things, however are the official rating incorrect? In the case of Japanese planes, yes. When tested with US 100 octane fuel, the speeds were much higher, then on Japanese fuel. The Japanese build great aircraft, but did not have the resources to make them function.

So tell me how a La 5 at 403 mph outruns a F4U1A, at 417MPH, and outruns a P51D at 437mph yet the A6M2 at 410mph gets left behind?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpp View Post
in WWII?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpp View Post
If you take a look at the airplane manuals, they show a throttle lever, this lever has a wide range to slide around. Theses are not the throttle of WWI aircraft that have on, idle and off settings.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
No conspiracy theory here, its a fact.

So tell me how a La 5 at 403 mph outruns a F4U1A, at 417MPH, and outruns a P51D at 437mph yet the A6M2 at 410mph gets left behind?
To pick an example,

If your getting outrun by a la5fn, let alone any other la5 in an p51d, then you are doing something seriously wrong, cause i sure don't, not even close.

In game la5 has better acceleration, but its no match for top speeds above 2000m, and even below that the 51 has a small advantage. Above 6000m the speed advantage the 51 has is huge......

Oh, and even if your speeds you've picked out are correct (depending on which test you cherry pick or random book/history channel), what height were they listed at, cause i know they aren't all the same height for each plane

you do know that the same two planes at different altitude can be quicker than each other right?

Last edited by fruitbat; 01-10-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
If you take a look at the airplane manuals, they show a throttle lever, this lever has a wide range to slide around. Theses are not the throttle of WWI aircraft that have on, idle and off settings.
I've never seen a WWII pilots notes that hasn't show Boost/manifold pressure/ATA with rpm for a power setting.

Never ever seen a percent.

from one of the random ones i have on my hard drive, Spit Mk IX,

Distinct lack of percent.....

Last edited by fruitbat; 01-10-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:46 AM
Approved Member