Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Approved Member

Ok, I see. I saw the ball with gunsight thing. I didn't know it was the vector ball. I'll test the few planes that I fly to see how much offset their in cockpit ball is.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Approved Member

Btw, horseback. Have you tried HSFX expert mode? They told me that they moved CoG to corrected position, which is around 27%. I just wonder if you do the same set of tests under HSFX, would it yield a different result?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacat View Post
Btw, horseback. Have you tried HSFX expert mode? They told me that they moved CoG to corrected position, which is around 27%. I just wonder if you do the same set of tests under HSFX, would it yield a different result?
No, I've never tried fiddling with the mods; while I bitch and moan a lot about the stock version, I am uncomfortable with the idea of an unauthorized Joe Schmo 'fixing' this or that individual feature or flight model to his satisfaction. My experience with defense testing of software related 'upgrades' convinced me long ago that there is almost always an unexpected ripple effect in the most unlikely places.

That is not to say that I wouldn't be tempted if there were an easily installed package of just some new maps (and a realistic fix for the ai gunners)...

Personally, I suspect that the issue isn't so much a CoG thing as it is an exaggerated elevator trim problem on most western Allied aircraft--I recently added a ten year old Logitech Wingman Formula Force GP steering wheel to my controller suite (replacing the vibrating game controller that mainly gave me an ersatz FFB effect). With the power disconnected, it lacks the automatic return to center the motors provide, it will hold the position you place it at without slop, and it uses all 360 degrees of rotation with some precision, making it an ideal elevator trim wheel for Il-2 '46. The big problem is mounting it so that the wheel is parallel to my left hip and straight up and down, rather than angled.

It makes a huge difference, not just with the Mustang, but with the Corsair and Hellcat (two even bigger trim hogs) as well. I haven't tried it with other fighters yet, but I suspect that it will be a big help with most of the inventory in the game. I'm still trying to figure out a way to use the brake and gas pedals without pulling their springs as well...

cheers

horseback
Old 11-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Approved Member

Have you tried UDPGraph or UDPSpeed?
You can run them on ntrk playbacks. It was using UDPSpeed that got me a great appreciation on the range of starts even given alt and start speed not just on my own tests but tracks that were sent to me. To compare dives I had to find speed matches well after the beginning rather than trying to match times. Once I got two planes at the same speed and close in alt I was able to get some idea of acceleration in dive differences. It's not much until the slower one gets near top speed and then the walk-away commences.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseback View Post
No, I've never tried fiddling with the mods; while I bitch and moan a lot about the stock version, I am uncomfortable with the idea of an unauthorized Joe Schmo 'fixing' this or that individual feature or flight model to his satisfaction.
HSFX folks are not some random joe schmo. Some of them, I heard, are also part of the DT team. HSFX has 2 modes that allow you to either use modified FMs or stock one. Besides, they only did minor changes to a few selected planes, which happen to be mostly US fighters.