Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Space Rangers

Space Rangers The lavish mix of an intense space RPG with 3D real-time strategy.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Approved Member

I'm still confused what is Tim Gaalistra? Is it something you sell? A piece of equipment - if equipment what does it do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt3 View Post
Time Gaalistra is the best buff from the medical station and it really really helps early on. RTS missions are easy once you figure out the strategy for each map, but then they get boring and repetitive. Once a RTS mission is offered save before you complete it. If you don't get a good micromodule or any at all, try it on all the other planets and see if one gives you a good micromodule. For robots make I only make 2 types. Get one with 4 launchers, mortar, dynamo; the other has a mortar, 2 launchers, and 2 repairers. If you are defending a point use the best turret backed up by two mortar/2 launcher/2 repairer robots, which will keep itself healed. Always watch the map and try to manual control in fights.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Go to the medical station and they will randomly offer 3 types of stimulants and it will change through the months. One of those stimulants is Time Gaalistra. You can see which stimulant you currently have by pressing S and looking at the bottom right corner. I get the 5 year medical plan from the business center, which halves the prices of all stimulants for the 5 years.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Approved Member

Oh. I've played through twice but each time didn't really explore stimulants. Never saw them as being that useful. Perhaps I was mistaken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt3 View Post
Go to the medical station and they will randomly offer 3 types of stimulants and it will change through the months. One of those stimulants is Time Gaalistra. You can see which stimulant you currently have by pressing S and looking at the bottom right corner. I get the 5 year medical plan from the business center, which halves the prices of all stimulants for the 5 years.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I don't yet understand hulls.

I've got about 12+ hours into the game. I've read the manual (and I'm re-reading it), and I've also got two "FAQ-Walkthroughs" bookmarked.

I'm doing fairly well, or so I think, although I'm in the bottom five of all ranked rangers. For the most part I'm doing quests only, along with a bit of trading if I see a bargain at a planet or space station.

I'm also trying to use the information center, as many people suggest.

My biggest problem right now seems to be getting a new hull. I started out as a Human fighter, and from what I can tell looking at the hulls offered, my original hull is still better. I've got like 25K in credits, but although I can afford "better" weapons and equipment, I can't fit any of it on my ship! It seems like the better weapons are always heavier. I'm not sure how or where to look for a better hull.

Ideally, what I want is a fighting ship, that after the battles, has enough cargo space for me to grab loot (components, cargo, nodes, etc). Right now I've only got about 35-30 units of cargo available.

I'm mostly afraid I'm going to run out of quests and then be scraping for money again. . . . . I need to understand the basics about hulls and what hull I should be going for. Maybe a pirate hull. I dunno . . .

========================
EDITED

D'oh! Yet another time where I post some questions, go into the game,and the light bulb turns on.

Spaceship layout as follows:
Top-most slots are weaponry slots.
Left-most are propulsion slots, notably, engine & fuel tank
Right-most are scanning slots: radar and ship scanner
Bottom slots: Additional equipment: Droid, Grappler, Shielding

When mousing over the hulls for sale at trading centers, the hull's piccie shows what slots are available on that particular type of hull.

Cladding:
1. A metal coating bonded onto another metal under high pressure and temperature.
2. The process of forming such a coating.
3. A protective or insulating layer fixed to the outside of a building or another structure

A droid is required to repair cladding in mid-battle/in space (?). (so far I haven't gotten any, no room for them)

Finding a good hull is a matter of using the Information center, getting to the planet/station selling it in time (thus, needing good engines). Or luck. Having the necessary funds is of course a good idea.

So far I've avoided buying anything of Maroq or Peleng manufacture . . supposedly the first is inefficient/low quality, the second degrades the fastest of any races equipment.

Boy, a SR2 Wiki would be nice . . . tried googling for one, so far, no luck.

Last edited by Psimon; 03-16-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfp3 View Post
I

Is there such a thing out there floating around like an "Opening Moves" walkthrough? This looks like a fun game, but a bit more direction in the first year or 3 would be nice. Something like:
I had a standard set of moves that worked pretty well in SR2 but are partially broken by Reboot. It goes something like this (from dusty memory):
1. Pick the rocket launcher bonus during setup.
2. Save at start. Fly directly to the medical base. If you can, take something to up your charisma or super tech.
3. Fly to the plague planet to-be (e.g Venus). Ask for a mission. You get the real-time training mission. Collect money. Buy meds and store in warehouse.
4. Fly to training coordinator and start tutorial. Leave heavy stuff there.
5. Fly to medical base and buy meds.
6. Fly back to plague planet with meds. Sell these meds and the meds in storage. Buy all the equipment you can.
7. Shuttle loads of equipment around selling all you can and buying more at plague-planet until this no longer makes money.
8. If you can afford it buy any useful probes you can, now.
9. Run mineral collection tutorial but you should have already been grabbing and selling any minerals you see.
10. Run the IPX-437 tutorial over and over until you get the little Singular engine and fuel tank. (This does not seem to work in Reboot.)
11. Fly back to science base and upgrade this engine and fuel tank.
12. Return to trainer and start your career as a ranger.
13. Take FedEx and text missions while also searching planets. One text mission you really want early is the ski resort mission. This has a 10,000 cr bonus that will make you the richest ranger out there.
14 Keep running missions but start fighting Dominators asap. You want to be building experience and advancing in rank. If you are comfortable with the real-time missions by all means take them. They pay very well.
15. Use stimulators but always keep track and save just before. That way you can back up and redo if you get addicted.
16. Keep track of where you see equipment you want to buy. Early in the game 3 cr is a lot. Save, search, reload.

P.S. If anyone has any Reboot-specific opening moves, please post.

Last edited by DRNewcomb; 12-21-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Default opening moves on hardest level

Hi all.
I only play on the hardest level, which means I lose about 75% of the games I start. The opening moves above are fantastic, and most work for the hardest level too.
The big difference, however, is that shortly after the game starts the dominators will start conquering the few remaining systems. You will see the six or seven systems you started with are being destroyed. Unfortunatly everything is too weak to stand against them, so it is a matter of time until only one system or two remains.
But what you must, must, must do is protect the science station. So that means when there are only a few systems remaining, you must hang around in or near the one with the science station. You will need the money you get from selling to the science station to keep your war afloat.
Sometimes I upgrade the science station if I have the money. Droid is paramount.
Until the galaxy discovers rocket launchers, it is impossible to liberate a dominator system. On the hardest level, it takes a great deal of time for rocket launchers to be discovered.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Approved Member

Missile launchers are very good weapons early on. They are cheap and you can blast at dominators from a distance. I always keep at least one. If you see a dominator that's about to get killed you can target it with a salvo and get credit for the kill, even if it dies before the missiles are launched. They tend to be messy, blowing up valuable stuff you'd rather bring onboard. For this reason I prefer flow blasters in the middle game and disintegrators late in the game. Always upgrade your missile launchers to the top level. It costs the same to reload no matter the level.