Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Approved Member

Whatnot, the first part of my last post was directed at Zapatista's suggestion, not yours. He has already suggested the pilot encountering "enemy ground forces, i presume they would shoot at him".

I think that there is a lack of understanding about the complexities involved in turning an air-combat-simulator into a ground-based RPG. Moving hanger doors involve a minor bit of coding on a 3-d model, together with a minimal function to operate as required. Realistic glass cracking probably involves little more than a carefully-scaled bitmap. AI for ground troops, extra terrain detail and all the rest would probably involve almost as much work as the core air-combat functions. I'm sure it could be done (in fact already has been to some extent in many RPG games), but only at the expense of compromises and simplifications of the core objective of the sim.

I'm not trying to act as 'judge and jury', I'm providing evidence for why it isn't a good idea, though frankly I think it is such a non-starter that 1C:Maddox wouldn't even consider it.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
Whatnot, the first part of my last post was directed at Zapatista's suggestion, not yours. He has already suggested the pilot encountering "enemy ground forces, i presume they would shoot at him".
Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying. I thought the lack of update this friday made everyone go nuts.

I understood from the suggestion that the AI pilots would run towards their home base instead of running the 20 meters to random direction after which they duck and cover.
If it was a human player he must be a real trooper to actually run for two hours on a ground surface as simple as LockOn offers to reach their base instead of respawning.

Implementing running to a plane I assume is relatively easy to implement. You already have the animated running pilot model and the physics to interact with the gound (atleast IL2 had it. So all you'd have to do is implement the keyboard controls to guide the direction and camera to follow the head and trace the mouselook.

Atleast it sounds simple writing it in two centences.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Approved Member

Yes, a bit of mutual misunderstanding all round, I think.

Your basic 'running pilot' animation sounds do-able, though getting him to climb into the plane might be a challenge. To be realistic, you'd also need an erk animation (or Luftwaffe equivalent) to help with the harness etc, so it all starts to look a bit complicated. Not totally out of the question I suppose. Maybe an add-on?
Old 04-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Approved Member

Its is easier to add button in the ESC control panel with the option "Try To Escape" in case you get captured. The game works a internal probability program that states in if you escaped or captured in just a moment. Parameters of probability function ll depend of distance of your own lines, enemy concentration in area, concentration of your forces, kind of terrain etc. You can push the button or wait a rescue mission like airforce war. Remenber that pressing the button ll be a possibility to get killed during escape. All generated by an internal function only. Hehe...

Much better this way if you would like a possibility to escape, even 3rd party can do this.

Last edited by Ernst; 04-10-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Approved Member

Even i can program a routine to do this. But there is no need for Oleg and his team work in this, its something that can be added by 3rd party and community.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnot View Post
I talked about running to the plane you're talking about cutting barbed wire fence to make people's suggestions sound like crap.
It's from the film, The Great Escape. Steve McQueen attempts to jump a barbed wire fence on a motorcycle.

I wouldn't mind walking to the aircraft from a building, or maybe a field, on the base, but walking back to base from some random bail-out position potentially dozens of miles away? No way Jose. I like FPSs, but I don't want one in the middle of my flight simulator.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo kyu View Post
I personally don't want to wait that long to be flying again.
who said YOU had to wait that long ?

if you want an instant tele-transportation to your home base by hitting refly again, you still can.

the option however of having freedom of movement with your pilot once he lands on the ground, is a major step forward for the rest of us.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Approved Member

If you bail out server kicks you until gives the time to return base. Just easier!
Old 04-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
the option however of having freedom of movement with your pilot once he lands on the ground, is a major step forward for the rest of us.
No, that game is already for sale.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pilot-Down-B...0920572&sr=1-3

There's no flying in it, I think you start from landing from a bailout, it didn't interest me because there's no flying.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Approved Member

It's a redicilous requiest, he is making a flight sim not a walk sim.
This ain't gonna happen and thank god for that.

Put resources to better use plix.